Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

GENETIC?

Posted by DENNIS on 8/07/01 at 14:53 (055812)

I HAVE 3 CHILDREN, 2 GRANDCHILDREN AND A 3RD GRANDCHILD 'ON THE WAY'. I WAS WONDERING IF TTS IS A CONDITION THAT CAN BE PASSED ON FROM GENERATION TO GENERATION. MY CHILDREN ARE IN THEIR 20'S AND DO NOT SHOW ANY SIGNS OF TTS. MY GRANDCHILDREN ARE ONLY A BIT OVER A YEAR OLD AND ONE HAS A CURVURTURE OF ONE LEG WHICH, TO ME, DOESN'T SEEM RELATED AS SHE ALSO HAS OTHER SIGNIFICANT HEALTH ISSUES. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE OF THE HEREDITARY ISSUES INVOLVED, OR, IS THIS SUCH A NEWLY DEFINED CONDITION THAT THE DATA DOES NOT EXIST? MY CONCERN IS OBVIOUSLY FOR MY CHILDREN, GRANDCHILDREN AND FUTURE GENERATION RELATED TO ME.

Re: GENETIC?

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055845)

I am not aware of any genetic predisposition to TTS.
Ed

wendyn on 8/07/01 at 21:15 (055854)

I don't know that TT is genetic - but some foot problems seem to be. My paternal grandmother appears to have a much more advanced case of my tendon/leg problems (albeit no nerve damage like I have). My father has PF and pronation, my mom pronates and has bunions. Both of my children pronate - and the one has worn orthotics since he was 11.

The good news is that having a parent (or grandparent) who is concerned about their feet, and watching out for problems may make all the difference to the kids. If they run into any problems, I know that you'll have them looked at right away! My son started having trouble with his feet at age 11 just like I did - I had him in to a podiatrist within a week or so. I spend the money on orthotics - and my kids are always in the best shoes that I can force them to wear.

Re: only to the extent that...

elliott on 8/08/01 at 13:21 (055937)

some inherited diseases or conditions are more likely to cause TTS, e.g. obesity, diabetes, arthritis. That's slim and I wouldn't worry about it; just take care that they take care of their feet if necessary.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055845)

I am not aware of any genetic predisposition to TTS.
Ed

wendyn on 8/07/01 at 21:15 (055854)

I don't know that TT is genetic - but some foot problems seem to be. My paternal grandmother appears to have a much more advanced case of my tendon/leg problems (albeit no nerve damage like I have). My father has PF and pronation, my mom pronates and has bunions. Both of my children pronate - and the one has worn orthotics since he was 11.

The good news is that having a parent (or grandparent) who is concerned about their feet, and watching out for problems may make all the difference to the kids. If they run into any problems, I know that you'll have them looked at right away! My son started having trouble with his feet at age 11 just like I did - I had him in to a podiatrist within a week or so. I spend the money on orthotics - and my kids are always in the best shoes that I can force them to wear.

Re: only to the extent that...

elliott on 8/08/01 at 13:21 (055937)

some inherited diseases or conditions are more likely to cause TTS, e.g. obesity, diabetes, arthritis. That's slim and I wouldn't worry about it; just take care that they take care of their feet if necessary.