Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

women's shoes & sanadals for pf

Posted by nancy b on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055821)

I've been wearing custom orthotics in New Balance shoes consistently to get rid of prolonged heel & calf pain. But I need some alternatives for real life. I know I need good arch support, flexible sole (not rigid platform or wood), some heel not totally flat, but need some guidance.
1) Do all shoes need to be lace- up oxfords? Are there sandal alternatives that give enough support?
2) Do I need to have heel held firmly in place? IE. no open back clog types, or Birkenstocks or slides?
3) any preferred brands (friends have recommended Mephistos and Chaco for sandals??)
4) It seems like a change would be helpful in healing. Not the same New Balance shoe every waking hour. Yes or No.
Good shoes are so expensive I hate to spend money on something that will aggravate the problem I've spent so much time and effort to make a little progress on.
Thank you

Re: women's shoes & sanadals for pf

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055834)

Birkenstocks are generally the best sandal for plantar fasciitis provided you do not have a tight achilles. Some of the newer Birks have removable footbeds to which I often need to glue a heel lift to the underside of the heel of the footbed if the achilles is tight. Another option--if you have a successful pair of orthotics, the casts and prescription can be used to construct a custom Birkenstock.
Ed

Re: women's shoes & sanadals for pf/WHY???

Donna M on 8/07/01 at 22:35 (055865)

Why are Birkenstocks not good if you have a tight achilles? What will they do to it?
Thanks,
Donna

wendyn on 8/07/01 at 23:34 (055872)

Donna - I am not a doctor - Birkenstocks have I believe a negative heel cup - they sit lower than a normal shoe in the heel. This stretches your heel cord - I have very tight heel cords...the birks did not bother me - but it is something to watch for.

Julie on 8/08/01 at 03:02 (055883)

The negative heel cup is one of the reasons why it's essential to give Birks a good try before ordering on line. They are excellent shoes, but they don't suit everyone. Now that there is a direct link to the Birkenstock website, this needs emphasizing again. My suggestion would be (1) get fitted in a store with a good range of Birkenstocks by a fitter who knows how they should fit, and (2) buy a pair and wear them for a couple of months, and (3) then order more on line. The first pair will be expensive, but eventually this will save trouble and money.

Repeat the process if you want Birkenstocks in a different style: the various lines differ. The customer service people on the website are helpful and will tell you the truth if you e-mail them with questions about whether a particular style will suit your foot type, but there is no substitute for trying the real shoe on your real feet.

Re: The Walking Co. Promoter

Carmen H on 8/08/01 at 08:51 (055899)

No I don't work at The Walking Co. but I swear by their selection and the knowledge the staff has of PF. I can't speak for EVERY store but I have been to three and everyone there knows about it. they actually pulled out a chart that explained common foot problems they have to be familar with to help customers. I recommend Danskos still...

Re: Thanks for info!

Donna M on 8/08/01 at 11:28 (055919)

Thanks for the answers! I wear Birks and I love them, but just wanting to make sure they won't make things worse!!!
Donna

Julie on 8/08/01 at 11:55 (055923)

Hi Donna

If your achilles tendon was tight, the negative heel cup would overstretch it, and it would hurt. If you love your Birks, they must be all right for you.

Re: women's shoes & sanadals for pf

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055834)

Birkenstocks are generally the best sandal for plantar fasciitis provided you do not have a tight achilles. Some of the newer Birks have removable footbeds to which I often need to glue a heel lift to the underside of the heel of the footbed if the achilles is tight. Another option--if you have a successful pair of orthotics, the casts and prescription can be used to construct a custom Birkenstock.
Ed

Donna M on 8/07/01 at 22:35 (055865)

Why are Birkenstocks not good if you have a tight achilles? What will they do to it?
Thanks,
Donna

wendyn on 8/07/01 at 23:34 (055872)

Donna - I am not a doctor - Birkenstocks have I believe a negative heel cup - they sit lower than a normal shoe in the heel. This stretches your heel cord - I have very tight heel cords...the birks did not bother me - but it is something to watch for.

Julie on 8/08/01 at 03:02 (055883)

The negative heel cup is one of the reasons why it's essential to give Birks a good try before ordering on line. They are excellent shoes, but they don't suit everyone. Now that there is a direct link to the Birkenstock website, this needs emphasizing again. My suggestion would be (1) get fitted in a store with a good range of Birkenstocks by a fitter who knows how they should fit, and (2) buy a pair and wear them for a couple of months, and (3) then order more on line. The first pair will be expensive, but eventually this will save trouble and money.

Repeat the process if you want Birkenstocks in a different style: the various lines differ. The customer service people on the website are helpful and will tell you the truth if you e-mail them with questions about whether a particular style will suit your foot type, but there is no substitute for trying the real shoe on your real feet.

Re: The Walking Co. Promoter

Carmen H on 8/08/01 at 08:51 (055899)

No I don't work at The Walking Co. but I swear by their selection and the knowledge the staff has of PF. I can't speak for EVERY store but I have been to three and everyone there knows about it. they actually pulled out a chart that explained common foot problems they have to be familar with to help customers. I recommend Danskos still...

Donna M on 8/08/01 at 11:28 (055919)

Thanks for the answers! I wear Birks and I love them, but just wanting to make sure they won't make things worse!!!
Donna

Julie on 8/08/01 at 11:55 (055923)

Hi Donna

If your achilles tendon was tight, the negative heel cup would overstretch it, and it would hurt. If you love your Birks, they must be all right for you.