Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help Needed...

Posted by Dan on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055842)

Hi....I am a NYPD cop and I feel i have a heelspur, considering the amount of pain on my left heel through walking and standing....As you know, a cops job descrip. is constant walking around, standing for long periods of time...etc....Ive been browsing numerous sites for at-home remedies for treatments of such an injury and cant find any...Im abit in denial because im only 25 yrs old and I still cant believe i have a heelspur...But please if anyone could offer me some advise on certain stretches and other remedies to relieve such pain, it would be great to hear from you...You can e-mail me at da1075@aol.com...Thanks in advance..
Regards,
Dan

Re: Help Needed...

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/07/01 at 20:53 (055850)

Did you know another name for a heelspur is called a polceman's heel

There is an excellent book on this site called the heel pain book. Take a look at it first. Very important to go see a podiatrist in your area. Early correct diagnosis and treatment will prevent and avoid long term pain and disability

Max K on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055860)

When I first noticed this pain 3 years ago, I had no idea how complicated it can be. I thought it was something simple, like maybe breaking an arm. No. Try this, try that, try something else, combined with the first one, now add this, not too much of that, maybe some ice, maybe night splints, maybe Ibuprofen, maybe taping, maybe rest, but not too much rest, maybe orthoses, maybe cortisone, maybe jade168, maybe ESWT, maybe stretching, maybe massage, maybe 20 other things, in various combinations. All of this takes up much valuable time, and many hours of reading and study. And even after all that, you pain may not go away. Maybe you'll get lucky and find an effective treatment within a reasonable amount of time. My impression is that medical science is only starting to understand this problem. It's not like when you break an arm that they know what they're doing, and they do it, and you're healed. On the plus side, this website is the single best resource IN THE WORLD for heel pain.

Re: Couldn't have said it better myself Max!! EOM

Donna M on 8/07/01 at 22:20 (055862)

Julie on 8/08/01 at 03:16 (055884)

Hi Dan

A good, comprehensive treatment plan to deal with the causes of your heel pain is needed. Best not to self-diagnose. Do see a podiatrist quickly. Get a full assessment of the way you stand and walk so that any biomechanical faults can be addressed.

As Max says, it's not like a broken arm. There may not be many good things about a broken arm, but one is that you don't have to stand and walk on it.

Don't be self-conscious about getting PF at 25. Age is no barrier! As you are young, you will probably heal faster, as long as you start dealing with it.

Do read the heel pain book.

Let us know how you fare.

BrianG on 8/08/01 at 08:32 (055897)

Hey Dan,

Any chance of getting desk duty for a few months? This is going to be a hard one to cure if you continue pounding the pavement. It also doesn't help to carry all that extra weight on your belt. Your still young, you have a good chance of beating it. Good luck

BCG

PS Check out the piece on taping your feet, in Scott's book, AFTER you see a Pod or Ortho Doc.

Re: heel spur

elliott on 8/08/01 at 13:17 (055936)

My father had a heel spur broken up with ultrasound. At first he didn't think it was doing anything (as relief is delayed), but after three months it was gone.

That said, it doesn't work for everyone, and may ignore the underlying cause, so that surgery, for example, might offer only tmeporary relief and then it returns. Your condition might include or actually be PF. Another relatively cheap option to try right away or in conjuction with ultrasound is orthotics. I'd try orthotics and ultrasound before anything drastic, as wel as the usual icing, anti-inflamatories, etc.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/08/01 at hrmin (055942)

The amount of information and potential treatments make things seem a little bit more complicated than they really are. The important concept is 'what to do when.' Once you have a good roadmap and know the route, all the other details don't get in the way to cause confusion.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/07/01 at 20:53 (055850)

Did you know another name for a heelspur is called a polceman's heel

There is an excellent book on this site called the heel pain book. Take a look at it first. Very important to go see a podiatrist in your area. Early correct diagnosis and treatment will prevent and avoid long term pain and disability

Max K on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055860)

When I first noticed this pain 3 years ago, I had no idea how complicated it can be. I thought it was something simple, like maybe breaking an arm. No. Try this, try that, try something else, combined with the first one, now add this, not too much of that, maybe some ice, maybe night splints, maybe Ibuprofen, maybe taping, maybe rest, but not too much rest, maybe orthoses, maybe cortisone, maybe jade168, maybe ESWT, maybe stretching, maybe massage, maybe 20 other things, in various combinations. All of this takes up much valuable time, and many hours of reading and study. And even after all that, you pain may not go away. Maybe you'll get lucky and find an effective treatment within a reasonable amount of time. My impression is that medical science is only starting to understand this problem. It's not like when you break an arm that they know what they're doing, and they do it, and you're healed. On the plus side, this website is the single best resource IN THE WORLD for heel pain.

Donna M on 8/07/01 at 22:20 (055862)

Julie on 8/08/01 at 03:16 (055884)

Hi Dan

A good, comprehensive treatment plan to deal with the causes of your heel pain is needed. Best not to self-diagnose. Do see a podiatrist quickly. Get a full assessment of the way you stand and walk so that any biomechanical faults can be addressed.

As Max says, it's not like a broken arm. There may not be many good things about a broken arm, but one is that you don't have to stand and walk on it.

Don't be self-conscious about getting PF at 25. Age is no barrier! As you are young, you will probably heal faster, as long as you start dealing with it.

Do read the heel pain book.

Let us know how you fare.

BrianG on 8/08/01 at 08:32 (055897)

Hey Dan,

Any chance of getting desk duty for a few months? This is going to be a hard one to cure if you continue pounding the pavement. It also doesn't help to carry all that extra weight on your belt. Your still young, you have a good chance of beating it. Good luck

BCG

PS Check out the piece on taping your feet, in Scott's book, AFTER you see a Pod or Ortho Doc.

Re: heel spur

elliott on 8/08/01 at 13:17 (055936)

My father had a heel spur broken up with ultrasound. At first he didn't think it was doing anything (as relief is delayed), but after three months it was gone.

That said, it doesn't work for everyone, and may ignore the underlying cause, so that surgery, for example, might offer only tmeporary relief and then it returns. Your condition might include or actually be PF. Another relatively cheap option to try right away or in conjuction with ultrasound is orthotics. I'd try orthotics and ultrasound before anything drastic, as wel as the usual icing, anti-inflamatories, etc.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/08/01 at hrmin (055942)

The amount of information and potential treatments make things seem a little bit more complicated than they really are. The important concept is 'what to do when.' Once you have a good roadmap and know the route, all the other details don't get in the way to cause confusion.
Ed