Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

5 days post-op plantar fascia release

Posted by judyml on 8/07/01 at 22:31 (055864)

I have suffered from pf for 8 months and just had the plantar fascia release surgery on friday, august 3. it was not done endoscopically. prior to having surgery, i had 2 cortisone shots which never worked and also tried the shoe inserts which only caused more pressure on the medial aspect of my arch. i had done some reading about the ossitron and/or ESWT but since it would not be covered under insurance, it was out of the question.
according to the doctor, the surgery went well. he said the fascia was so thick that he almost broke his scissor when he snipped it. i wore the surgical boot for 3 days and now am back to my sneakers. i will have the 6 stiches removed on august 15. my foot is very bruised because the doctor claims he hit a vein which caused some bleeding. i still have a minimal amount of swelling in my toes and ankle area. my big concern right now is that the bottom of my foot is numb in areas, especially the lateral area from my little toe down the side of my foot. sometimes it feels as if i have a pencil or some other object under my foot going from my toes to my heel. if i touch or scratch certain areas on the bottom of my foot, i can feel pressure but not feel a scratch or pinch. i know it is only 5 days post op but i am scared that my foot will never be the same again. for the first 3 days i had my foot elevated, used ice and took the pain killers prescribed. the doctor also told me that he now wants me to walk as much as i can (of course without overdoing it) so that the fascia will heal in the 'stretched position', otherwise it could heal tight and i would be back to where i was in the beginning.
can you tell me then is it normal for my foot to feel so numb (almost as if parts of the bottom of my foot are asleep) and how long i can expect to be pain free? my calf is hurting me too; sort of feels as if i pulled the muscle. i feel that i might have injured my calf by over compensating in the way i walk so as not to strain my foot.
i have become extremely scared, depressed and saddened reading so many of the posts from people who sought medical treatment in the hopes of feeling better, only to find that they have developed other problems, some more severe than the original pain.
i look forward to your response, and thank you.

Re: 5 days post-op plantar fascia release

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/08/01 at 07:53 (055889)

Hi,

Swelling, bruising numbness are all part of the healing process after any type of foot surgery especially plantar fascia release. Healing and PAIN in the foot can take up to six months or more to go away. Yes walking is important but too much is bad and will only delay the healing process. Pain in other areas of the foot and calf can be compensation from not walking on the heel. Pretty tough with six sutures in your foot.

Be positive about your healing and confidence in your docctor is very important. It sounds as if you need rest and a cast boot for your foot at this time.

judyml on 8/08/01 at 08:12 (055893)

Thank you for your reply. One other thing that I had noticed but did not write in my original post was that I feel heat radiating down the side of my foot (from the little toe to the heel) where I also feel the numbness. It is warm to touch. Is that normal?

You mentioned that rest would be good at this time, however, my doctor told me that I should also be walking to not allow the fascia to heal back in a tight position. I already notice that when I do rest and then walk again, I feel the tightness in my foot (sort of like the pre-op pain I felt when I stood up after being off my foot)

You also mentioned a 'cast boot'...where would I get that? I am back in my sneakers already, so what good would the cast boot do for me?

I guess I will have to be a bit more patient and hope that I will feel better, however, I had no idea it could take up to 6 months (or more)
Thank you in advance for your reply...
Judy

wendy w on 8/10/01 at 12:06 (056182)

I had the pf release at the same time I had the tarsal tunnel surg. and I don't remember having numbness but did feel like I had something rolled up under my arch. I also have the lessened sensations when scratching or pinching but foot surgeon says I have some nerve damage. Nevertheless I am now 1 yr out of surgery and am still going to work every day and standing on my feet for nearly 8hrs.
You will feel some better. Best to not get scared or too upset it really doesn't help just try to do what you can each day and hope for a little better as each day passes. I am not pain free but am striving to so better.
Hang in there.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/08/01 at 07:53 (055889)

Hi,

Swelling, bruising numbness are all part of the healing process after any type of foot surgery especially plantar fascia release. Healing and PAIN in the foot can take up to six months or more to go away. Yes walking is important but too much is bad and will only delay the healing process. Pain in other areas of the foot and calf can be compensation from not walking on the heel. Pretty tough with six sutures in your foot.

Be positive about your healing and confidence in your docctor is very important. It sounds as if you need rest and a cast boot for your foot at this time.

judyml on 8/08/01 at 08:12 (055893)

Thank you for your reply. One other thing that I had noticed but did not write in my original post was that I feel heat radiating down the side of my foot (from the little toe to the heel) where I also feel the numbness. It is warm to touch. Is that normal?

You mentioned that rest would be good at this time, however, my doctor told me that I should also be walking to not allow the fascia to heal back in a tight position. I already notice that when I do rest and then walk again, I feel the tightness in my foot (sort of like the pre-op pain I felt when I stood up after being off my foot)

You also mentioned a 'cast boot'...where would I get that? I am back in my sneakers already, so what good would the cast boot do for me?

I guess I will have to be a bit more patient and hope that I will feel better, however, I had no idea it could take up to 6 months (or more)
Thank you in advance for your reply...
Judy

wendy w on 8/10/01 at 12:06 (056182)

I had the pf release at the same time I had the tarsal tunnel surg. and I don't remember having numbness but did feel like I had something rolled up under my arch. I also have the lessened sensations when scratching or pinching but foot surgeon says I have some nerve damage. Nevertheless I am now 1 yr out of surgery and am still going to work every day and standing on my feet for nearly 8hrs.
You will feel some better. Best to not get scared or too upset it really doesn't help just try to do what you can each day and hope for a little better as each day passes. I am not pain free but am striving to so better.
Hang in there.