Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Calcaneal cuboid syndrome

Posted by Joopie on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055873)

Thank you so much for the responses to me previous post. It was very helpful. I have additional thoughts (ask a question, and you think of two more....LOL).

I am significantly overweight (50+ pounds). I am beginning a program to lose the excess, so I will assume this may help my foot? Also, what would you suggest to do in the meantime? Is the damage done at this time permanent?

I have tried orthotics, I wear nothing but running shoes, I HATE the thought of a steroid injection, and the Doc gave me a cam-walker boot which I have not been wearing because he thought it wouldn't really do much.

I know there are several questions here, but if you can try to answer as many as possible, I'll get out of your hair! Thank you so much in advance.

Joopie

Re: Calcaneal cuboid syndrome

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/08/01 at 07:55 (055890)

Rest, physical therapy and you really need to consider the steriod injection . This seems to be the best chance for resolution of this pain.

Your orthosis will need either a cuboid wedge or a wedge extending from the anterior heel to the neck of the 5th metatarsal. . If this isn't address now and you wait then yes it is permanent

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/08/01 at hrmin (055930)

The orthotic modification is the most important thing but the injection cna help bring the inflammation down. Some docs can give an injection that you barely feel, others don't.

I and some docs manipulate the cuboid -- it is not a widely used technique, a bit more common on the West Coast.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/08/01 at 07:55 (055890)

Rest, physical therapy and you really need to consider the steriod injection . This seems to be the best chance for resolution of this pain.

Your orthosis will need either a cuboid wedge or a wedge extending from the anterior heel to the neck of the 5th metatarsal. . If this isn't address now and you wait then yes it is permanent

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/08/01 at hrmin (055930)

The orthotic modification is the most important thing but the injection cna help bring the inflammation down. Some docs can give an injection that you barely feel, others don't.

I and some docs manipulate the cuboid -- it is not a widely used technique, a bit more common on the West Coast.
Ed