Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Options for bunion

Posted by Victoria on 8/08/01 at hrmin (055920)

Dear Doctor:

I already had an operation on my first foot for bunion without using 'casting.' It was ok, but I intend to have narrower and straighter result for the second foot using 'casting.' I have very serious bunion with the first and fith fingers tapering towards the middle.

1) How long will it take usually for a patient to start walking after a surgery?

2) Is the end-results between surgeries done with and without casting great ? Do you think casting method is worthwhile
spending a longer, more inflexible period for healing for a better result?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

Victoria

Re: Options for bunion

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/08/01 at hrmin (055944)

Casting itself has little bearing on the outcome of many bunion surgeries.
Some of the larger procedures, that is, the procedures that provide higher potential degrees of correction are more likely to require casts, and that may be what you are thinking of.

There are literally dozens of different bunion procedures. Procedure selection is often more important in the final outcome than the execution of the procedure. It is important to talk to a doc who is familiar with and does most of the procedures.
Ed

Re: Options for bunion

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/08/01 at hrmin (055944)

Casting itself has little bearing on the outcome of many bunion surgeries.
Some of the larger procedures, that is, the procedures that provide higher potential degrees of correction are more likely to require casts, and that may be what you are thinking of.

There are literally dozens of different bunion procedures. Procedure selection is often more important in the final outcome than the execution of the procedure. It is important to talk to a doc who is familiar with and does most of the procedures.
Ed