Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Replacing broken arch supports

Posted by Tommy Horn on 8/08/01 at hrmin (055933)

I have been wearing arch supports for plantar fasciitis for over 17 years.
After an initial break-in period I have had no further problems until last
fall when one of my arch supports broke and I had to have it replaced. The
original arch supports lasted an unusual long time. A short time after I
started wearing the new arch supports(from new plaster impression of my
feet), I began experiencing mild paing in the original right heel. That has been
over 9 months ago and we don't seem to be getting it to go away. I am
seeing a Podiatrist and am also doing stretching and icing after activity. The stretching and icing have only been done for the last month or 6 weeks. The pain doesn't occur until after walking a long time on concrete or after excessive time on my feet. This is usually after sitting down for for 30 minutes or so after the activities (usually at night). I have zero pain when I get up in the morning and take Aleve which seems to help. Note!, I can still do most anything without pain at the time but I experience the pain latter (usually at night and everything is ok the next morning when I wake up). I am 52 plus years old, 5'11' tall and weight 200 lbs. My question is: could the change in arch supports after such a long period of time be the root of my problem? It sure falls in the time line for when my problems came back. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Tommy Horn

Re: Replacing broken arch supports

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/08/01 at hrmin (055975)

What were the original orthotics made out of? It is possible that the new devices are not giving you as much support--something to discuss with your podiatrist.
Ed

Tommy Horn on 8/13/01 at 07:50 (056538)

Both pairs are Langer Sporthotics. My Podiatrist made a new impression
for the 2nd pair and they are not exactly alike the first pair. Could this
be a problem? My Podiatrist did do some adjustments so that they are more
comfortable. The Sporthotics are rather ridgid plastic(at least it appears
to be plastic). Also, the heel cushioning is more firm than on the original pair. My Podiatrist said Langer does not have the softer cushioning anymore. The newer supports have more of a raised area or cup on the outside heel area as well as the opposite side of the arch.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/08/01 at hrmin (055975)

What were the original orthotics made out of? It is possible that the new devices are not giving you as much support--something to discuss with your podiatrist.
Ed

Tommy Horn on 8/13/01 at 07:50 (056538)

Both pairs are Langer Sporthotics. My Podiatrist made a new impression
for the 2nd pair and they are not exactly alike the first pair. Could this
be a problem? My Podiatrist did do some adjustments so that they are more
comfortable. The Sporthotics are rather ridgid plastic(at least it appears
to be plastic). Also, the heel cushioning is more firm than on the original pair. My Podiatrist said Langer does not have the softer cushioning anymore. The newer supports have more of a raised area or cup on the outside heel area as well as the opposite side of the arch.