Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

orthotics

Posted by Frannie on 8/08/01 at 13:37 (055939)

I have over pronation in the right foot which was causing planters fasciitis. I had ESWT about a month ago.... I received my orthotic for the right foot the other day.. NOw the problem is it feels like I have a chunk of wood in my shoe and it very uncomfortable.. I am no longer feeling pain in my heel but will this orthotic get to feeling any better..
Should I go back to the person that fit me for the orthotic?
Never have worn an orthotic and I don't know what to expect.
Thanks

Re: orthotics

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/08/01 at hrmin (055970)

Are both orthotics uncomfortable or just the one in the foot that had ESWT?
Orhtotics do need to be broken in slowly, a few hours at a time. They should feel good by the end of the third week--if not, see the person who made them.
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 8/09/01 at 08:12 (056013)

Hi Frannie,
I will take some time to get used to wearing the orthosis. I describe it to my patients as if you were standing on a golf ball. I am not sure what your provider said about the break in period. Some say to wear them for one hour the first day and increase daily by another hour.

With excessive pronators or just general flat feet, I always recommend that they start off wearing them for only 15 minutes walking around. Now, if you are sitting on the sofa or chair and watching tv, it is perfectly fine to have your shoes on with the orthotics in them. This is still allowing your feet to become used to the support.

If ever you leave the house, take the insoles that came with the shoe as well. That way, when your feet start to feel tired and achy, you can switch them out.

Start with 15 minutes and as your feet allow, slowly increase you wearing time by another 15 minutes. Don't force yourself to get used to them. That may only cause excess pain. Always check you feet after wearing them. Look for any spots that may resemble a forming blister. You should know if something is not right with the orthotics after about two weeks. If so, don't be scared to ask for adjustments. I truly can't stand it if something needs an adjustment and the customer does not tell me. I have heard, 'I didn't want to bother you', or, 'I thought I could walk through the pain'.

A custom item can sometimes be tricky to get just right. You may want to call and ask the provider if adjustments cost extra. In my mind, if the patient needed an adjustment, it was not perfect in the first place and they should not have to pay for the adjustment.

Not everyone thinks like me, so don't be suprised if they offer two free adjustments, then they will charge you for a third.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Richard, C.Ped

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/08/01 at hrmin (055970)

Are both orthotics uncomfortable or just the one in the foot that had ESWT?
Orhtotics do need to be broken in slowly, a few hours at a time. They should feel good by the end of the third week--if not, see the person who made them.
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 8/09/01 at 08:12 (056013)

Hi Frannie,
I will take some time to get used to wearing the orthosis. I describe it to my patients as if you were standing on a golf ball. I am not sure what your provider said about the break in period. Some say to wear them for one hour the first day and increase daily by another hour.

With excessive pronators or just general flat feet, I always recommend that they start off wearing them for only 15 minutes walking around. Now, if you are sitting on the sofa or chair and watching tv, it is perfectly fine to have your shoes on with the orthotics in them. This is still allowing your feet to become used to the support.

If ever you leave the house, take the insoles that came with the shoe as well. That way, when your feet start to feel tired and achy, you can switch them out.

Start with 15 minutes and as your feet allow, slowly increase you wearing time by another 15 minutes. Don't force yourself to get used to them. That may only cause excess pain. Always check you feet after wearing them. Look for any spots that may resemble a forming blister. You should know if something is not right with the orthotics after about two weeks. If so, don't be scared to ask for adjustments. I truly can't stand it if something needs an adjustment and the customer does not tell me. I have heard, 'I didn't want to bother you', or, 'I thought I could walk through the pain'.

A custom item can sometimes be tricky to get just right. You may want to call and ask the provider if adjustments cost extra. In my mind, if the patient needed an adjustment, it was not perfect in the first place and they should not have to pay for the adjustment.

Not everyone thinks like me, so don't be suprised if they offer two free adjustments, then they will charge you for a third.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Richard, C.Ped