Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ganglion cyst

Posted by Marge H. on 8/08/01 at 15:14 (055950)

After many months of being treated for PF, and going to several DR's for 2nd opinion, I was given a MRI.

They said they found a ganglion cyst which presses on the plantar fascia and causes pain. How serious is this? How common is this and is this still plantar fascitis. They said I may have to go for a surgery consultation if the pain persists.

My concern:..The pain started in my heel and then after 4 cortizone shots I got this incredible new pain in front of my heel where the arch starts. Could this be related to the shots.

I also had orthotics made,,but havent picked them up yet. Needless to say they are very expensive and not covered by insurance. Would orthotics actually help me now with a cyst?

Any information on this would be so greatly appreciated

Marge Hanaver

Re: Ganglion cyst

M. Wilson on 8/08/01 at 15:34 (055952)

Marge -
My sister just had that sort of cyst removed from her wrist. It was a very painful cyst & in less than a year after the surgery it has returned. I can't advise on how it might affect PF, or if the cyst is the true source of your pain & not PF. My sister couldn't lift anything with that arm or put any stress on it - can't see how you'd walk easily with that there, so you might have to have it surgically removed. Good luck -

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/08/01 at hrmin (055976)

Ganglions usually are most troublesome when pressing on a nerve such as in the wrist. The pressure of a ganglion on the plantar fascia casuing pain is possible yet somewhat unusual--depends on size, location. Your doc will want to look at the MRI films to interpret the significance of the ganglion.
Ed

M. Wilson on 8/08/01 at 15:34 (055952)

Marge -
My sister just had that sort of cyst removed from her wrist. It was a very painful cyst & in less than a year after the surgery it has returned. I can't advise on how it might affect PF, or if the cyst is the true source of your pain & not PF. My sister couldn't lift anything with that arm or put any stress on it - can't see how you'd walk easily with that there, so you might have to have it surgically removed. Good luck -

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/08/01 at hrmin (055976)

Ganglions usually are most troublesome when pressing on a nerve such as in the wrist. The pressure of a ganglion on the plantar fascia casuing pain is possible yet somewhat unusual--depends on size, location. Your doc will want to look at the MRI films to interpret the significance of the ganglion.
Ed