Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PT

Posted by Tammie on 8/08/01 at 18:49 (055973)

Well I have gone back to the pt, and amazing I have the same woman which I found out is in charge there. She has since talked with my dr. and he has told her we are to do the ultasound and the Ion,?? Dont know spelling but something similar to the tens unit,she is using heat while it is on! I know she wants me to have improvement, as she sure questions enough,but to me I notice no difference either way, she now told me I may want to do this which I am flagging as it was not run by my dr. so in review of what happened when she took upon herself to ignore his orders on the script and gave agressive stretching I am hesitatant to try it. I mean I am all for trying anything to make things better but do not want to aggrevate this nerve stuff anymore! She says I may like to do some power walking in the pool to regain maybe lost muscle and more strenghth and endurance, Now I am asking here what u all think? I do go in the pool every day sometimes a couple of times as I need to burn off some energy and the fact it is hot lol.Also am wondering what people think of another cortisone shot next wed. I am a bit concerened as I had one last wed. and did nothing, it also was put in the inside ankle area which was none to pleasant. I am just worried as earlier in year I had 3 in the same foot heel area. I am not going to be oposed if you think it will be helpful, but do not want any more backslides, and if this does not work then what? Any Ideas? I know he had mentioned surgery if we can not do it with orthodics cortisone and pt, so wondering what else I can try? My skin on my foot seems to have a thinner feeling my other foot is different texture , I am thinking this is due to cortisone? Oh yeah I am on mobic to when does that kick in? Been a week. Thanks for any answers or suggestions!

Re: PT

wendyn on 8/08/01 at 21:34 (055987)

Hi Tammie - for me, I am not big on cortisone...but it really is up to every person to decide. Please make sure you talk to your doctor about the difference in skin texture that you're noticing. I would guess that if Mobic was going to work you should have seen some improvement by now - but I've never heard of Mobic before...just going by the routine anti-inflamms.

Susie on 8/09/01 at 00:21 (055993)

I had the tts surgery and am in pt right now. The streching hurts but I feel it has hepled the most along with alot of exercise for tone and muscle. All the things your therapist has suggested I have been doing for 8 weeks now. It has been a long road but I am finally toward the end! My foot is not the same and I feel it will never be exactly right again but I will just deal with it and do my best to walk a normal gate again. hope this helps.....

Re: PT/susie

Tammie on 8/09/01 at 08:31 (056015)

Hi ,
I did not have the surgery for the tts, I had a pf and spur removal in april 17, this seems to become more of a problem the nervey stuff he seems to believe it is tts now, but although some symptoms are very much like described here, I have never had a nerve test to confirm it. But the pod is the one who said he did NOT want any stretching at this point not me, as he said it is already agrivated and when I was stretched it was a night time nightmare of pain, I had a cortisone shot for the problem the day before the stretching,He was angry about it as he says the no pain no gain rule is not in effect at this time. I am at a loss, I am trying to do what i am told so as to have the best chance of recovery, I have been told by this pod, he would use cortisone and pt to try and calm the nerve, inflamation if there and whatever. And if thease measures do not work there is the surgery, well I have just dealt with one surgery and am not really looking for another.But I have to find some even ground here in this mess somewhere, I cannot work like this I cannot function with pain meds forever,If I use no pain med I do not sleep or get any rest, so I only use in evening and at night time I deal with it the rest of the time, and really untill evening I t is not to bad ,it is there but I can keep busy so as to not focus on it totaly like when u lie down to sleep! In any case I see you have had the surgery,I hope it works for u and I wondered when u had it and the lenghth of time for recovery to this point u are at. I am not opposed to anything really at this point , except being rushed into something if it is not needed. I do want to make sure of what I have and make sure I go the proper course so as to have the best outcome! I do want to return to my love( LOL I love my work) Someday but want to return when I am able to do it without causing injury to myself or possibly to someone else! At this point I know I cannot! Did yyou have the cortisone treatments and if u did how soon did u know it did help or it didnt? I have had 1 for this problem but had 3 for the pf all before may,this last one was last week, and I dont think it has done anything! Well thanks for responding!

Re: Re:Cortisone /how do I convince him

Tammie on 8/09/01 at 08:57 (056020)

Ok , I understand how u feel,but what do I do next then? He seemed to think the course of treatment would be a series of cortisone and pt and my orthodics and this Mobic stuff. Now I had the cortisone first shot which I dont think did anything,I had 1 pt treatment I thought would kill me, then I have had 3 treatments so far of the ultrasound and that ion? not sure of spellings, but like the tens stuff, and had the mobic which nothing seems to have changed at this point, no better . I am pretty sure he will want to try another cortisone, but if we dont then what is left? I said below I want to return to work and somewhat of a life and I am fairly certain at this point I could not do that without some help with medication. I cannot live on it actually I am opposed to any medications but am taking them as I know I have to get sleep and some relief of pain even if it is 2 hrs at a time I will take it at this point. Am I to think this is the end of road for me? A point where i may have to say yes to a surgery or to say I will have to deal with it like this forever? I know it sounds quick to some, But This is a problem I have been dealing with since before the pf surgery although was not this bad, seems to have progressed after the surgery for the pf which was back in april. I just am looking for advice on the next steps,to think about and gather information so as I am well informed before I am wishy washy and do whatever I am told is best for me lol. I need to have all facts to look at, Is there any other medications that are used to treat this> I have taken celebrex, vioxx, relefin.now mobic and of course the cortisone shot. Well things to think on for sure I have been reading some back log of posts in this site, should I get the nerve test and if I do what will that do for me ? If it comes back positive then it is still the same and if it does not I see here that it does not always show in the test so then what? I am not oposed to this but want to know what change it will make for me and what value it will have? I see allot of people take neurtourn sorry spelling? Is this something that might work or help? Have u tried it? I know if I go in to see my pod and am loaded with to much knowledge he might be uncomfortable but then if I dont have some I might be unprepared to make a good decision for myself, and this time I have to go myself as I have noone else to go as hubby cannot.So really I intend to write things down so as when I get tounge tied and can not think or speak lol I can glance at my list hehehe!Well I know this is quite long and I know I start to stress when things are not smoothe , but just looking for words from those who have the wisdom and experiance to provide them. I am trying very hard to think this thru without going spastic lol. I know first step is taking charge of oneself right? Ok am trying to help that one out! Thanks to anyone who can help me out with their wisdom.Am listening and taking notes!

Re: PT/Tammy

Susie on 8/09/01 at 13:28 (056036)

Hello, I had my tts surgery late April and started pt June.I have had some complications from the surgery due to the nerves
not responding very well along with alot of hypersensativity. My calf and thigh lost alot of tone because nothing was sparking correctly to get it all going again. I have been treated for RSD for 2 months now and I am moving along very well now, I walk on my own with a limp but hope to get that under control too. I am also taking neurontin to help dull the hyper nerves so I can continue agressive therapy. I dont notice much difference with the drug except my head is groggy!! I also have scar build up along the tunnel so thats why we do alot of streching and hopefully it will work so I dont have to have it removed (another surgery). My opinion is the tts surgery only works some of the time and there seems to be complications in most cases which I was not aware of when I had agreed to the surgery. My foot does seem better than it did but I do not have all the feeling or range of motion back and it may just have to be this way and deal with it for the rest of my life. Hope
every thing works out for you. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail scalla@bellatlantic.net I dont have all the answers but have gone through alot getting to where I am now. I just want to run the forrest gump!!!!! Susie

Re: My doctor offered a different solution.

Andrea R. on 8/09/01 at 13:44 (056039)

Tammie,

Like you I had the PF and spur removal. I've been experiencing pain on the inside just under the ankle and my doctor thinks it might be the start of TTS. He told me to start on the anti-inflamatories and see if that helps. They were helping until a few days ago. I did a bit too much walking and stair climbing on Monday and really suffered for it on Tuesday. It was feeling better until yesterday when my husband called to say he was in the hospital with chest pains. Then it was off walking all over the hospital, off to Walmart for pajamas and something for him to read, and back to the hospital to drop everything off. This morning I went to work only to have to make another trip home and another trip to the hospital. They aren't sure what's wrong but not a heart attack. Needless to say my foot is killing me.

My doctor suggested either iontopheresis at PT or a cast. Thankfully no shots. Right now I trying to keep going on just ice, rest as I can get it and Vioxx. Maybe when things calm down I'll call the doctor and discuss it more. He also recommended I continue moderate stretching but nothing like your PT recommends.

Thankfully the physical therapist I last had is no longer there. He had a terrible attitude and used to turn up the ionto machine so much I'd get minor burns. If I decide to go back to PT I'll request the one I had before who listened and considered it a partnership rather than a dictatorship.

Sorry to ramble on but I'm trying to keep my spirits up and this seems to help.

When things settle and I can talk to my ortho I'll let you know what type of cast he's thinking of. He said I'd be able to shower with it. I'll keep you informed.

Keep your spirits up.

Andrea

wendyn on 8/09/01 at 13:47 (056041)

Andrea - when you say 'stair climbing' - do you mean real stairs or the stair climber for exercise? If it's real stairs - you can't avoid them - but please don't use a step maching if you're using one.

Steps seem to be tough on TTS (especially the machines)

Andrea R. on 8/09/01 at 13:58 (056046)

Wendy,

They were real stairs. My husband's company had an outting that included a tour of a cable ship and I was feeling good and decided to do the tour. Alot of the steps where the metal ladder/steps like military ships have.

I wouldn't go near the machine version. The stationary bike is much safer and doesn't hurt.

Thanks for your concern,

Andrea

Re: andrea

tammie on 8/09/01 at 15:53 (056061)

Thank u for the response,First most of importantly,I want to tell you dont ever feel as tho u ramble lol I am the queen of it proably. And I would love to let you talk as sometimes I have found that is good medicine to as it lets out everything and you can just relax as it is finally out! I am sorry about your husband , that is sad I sure hope he is ok and that soon he will be home with you and all will be ok. I can just imagaine the stresss that must be for the both of u!I hope it is nothing serious will keep you both in my prayers!
Now the pt part My pt lady has come around after talking with my dr. although she is a mover and likes to jump into things I do think she is trying in her heart to help. I get that iontopheresis done that is the word I could not spell lol I get that and the ultrasound done and that is all he wants at the moment ! Oh and heat or cold she is to experiment with to. Pt lady is aressive a personality to lol but I do admire her fiestyness just a bit shy of it do to the flare up over the first.She lets me set the knob for the iontopheresis and helps me if I ask her how much I should let it go. But one thing she does that makes me worry about her is she decides that maybe dr. is wrong and lets try something else kinda deal, and that worries me so I try to be kind and say if u will run it by him if he agrees lets do it! If she hesitates I say I am sorry but do to the last misiery, I am only going by what he wishes as he has got me this far, I am not going to ruin all that has been acomplished which is not total but I can walk on a heel that I could not before! I just wonder how long to give pt and this till I should start thinking maybe other things, or adding something I dont want to rush but I dont want to wait months with no results either! I want some advice as I dont want to be either hasty or lingering to long! Take care and I do hope things settle for u soon!

Re: Re:ps

tammie on 8/09/01 at hrmin (056064)

I have done several antinflams. notice no difference at this point have been on the newest one mobic for about a week. I wonder if the cast is like what they used after the pf surgery it is removable to shower, It is like a moon boot lol no it is a pneomontic boot or something , I am awful speller I am sorry ! Typer to lol. I talk much better ! I see my pod wed. but I am trying to gather information so that we will be able to talk and I will know what he is saying and have questions to ask,and one of my worriesome is if another cortisone will make a difference, I dont know if it is my clouded thought that makes me feel i shouldnt have another( as I fear the pain again hehehe) Or if there is really good reason not to try another. I just had the expierance with the pf that I had 3 and had nothing to write home about if u get my drift and he said they did not work for me for that. So this makes me wonder why should I have to go this way again to have same results. See I do ramble on lol! Thanks again and anytime u need to talk feel free to mail me!

wendyn on 8/08/01 at 21:34 (055987)

Hi Tammie - for me, I am not big on cortisone...but it really is up to every person to decide. Please make sure you talk to your doctor about the difference in skin texture that you're noticing. I would guess that if Mobic was going to work you should have seen some improvement by now - but I've never heard of Mobic before...just going by the routine anti-inflamms.

Susie on 8/09/01 at 00:21 (055993)

I had the tts surgery and am in pt right now. The streching hurts but I feel it has hepled the most along with alot of exercise for tone and muscle. All the things your therapist has suggested I have been doing for 8 weeks now. It has been a long road but I am finally toward the end! My foot is not the same and I feel it will never be exactly right again but I will just deal with it and do my best to walk a normal gate again. hope this helps.....

Re: PT/susie

Tammie on 8/09/01 at 08:31 (056015)

Hi ,
I did not have the surgery for the tts, I had a pf and spur removal in april 17, this seems to become more of a problem the nervey stuff he seems to believe it is tts now, but although some symptoms are very much like described here, I have never had a nerve test to confirm it. But the pod is the one who said he did NOT want any stretching at this point not me, as he said it is already agrivated and when I was stretched it was a night time nightmare of pain, I had a cortisone shot for the problem the day before the stretching,He was angry about it as he says the no pain no gain rule is not in effect at this time. I am at a loss, I am trying to do what i am told so as to have the best chance of recovery, I have been told by this pod, he would use cortisone and pt to try and calm the nerve, inflamation if there and whatever. And if thease measures do not work there is the surgery, well I have just dealt with one surgery and am not really looking for another.But I have to find some even ground here in this mess somewhere, I cannot work like this I cannot function with pain meds forever,If I use no pain med I do not sleep or get any rest, so I only use in evening and at night time I deal with it the rest of the time, and really untill evening I t is not to bad ,it is there but I can keep busy so as to not focus on it totaly like when u lie down to sleep! In any case I see you have had the surgery,I hope it works for u and I wondered when u had it and the lenghth of time for recovery to this point u are at. I am not opposed to anything really at this point , except being rushed into something if it is not needed. I do want to make sure of what I have and make sure I go the proper course so as to have the best outcome! I do want to return to my love( LOL I love my work) Someday but want to return when I am able to do it without causing injury to myself or possibly to someone else! At this point I know I cannot! Did yyou have the cortisone treatments and if u did how soon did u know it did help or it didnt? I have had 1 for this problem but had 3 for the pf all before may,this last one was last week, and I dont think it has done anything! Well thanks for responding!

Re: Re:Cortisone /how do I convince him

Tammie on 8/09/01 at 08:57 (056020)

Ok , I understand how u feel,but what do I do next then? He seemed to think the course of treatment would be a series of cortisone and pt and my orthodics and this Mobic stuff. Now I had the cortisone first shot which I dont think did anything,I had 1 pt treatment I thought would kill me, then I have had 3 treatments so far of the ultrasound and that ion? not sure of spellings, but like the tens stuff, and had the mobic which nothing seems to have changed at this point, no better . I am pretty sure he will want to try another cortisone, but if we dont then what is left? I said below I want to return to work and somewhat of a life and I am fairly certain at this point I could not do that without some help with medication. I cannot live on it actually I am opposed to any medications but am taking them as I know I have to get sleep and some relief of pain even if it is 2 hrs at a time I will take it at this point. Am I to think this is the end of road for me? A point where i may have to say yes to a surgery or to say I will have to deal with it like this forever? I know it sounds quick to some, But This is a problem I have been dealing with since before the pf surgery although was not this bad, seems to have progressed after the surgery for the pf which was back in april. I just am looking for advice on the next steps,to think about and gather information so as I am well informed before I am wishy washy and do whatever I am told is best for me lol. I need to have all facts to look at, Is there any other medications that are used to treat this> I have taken celebrex, vioxx, relefin.now mobic and of course the cortisone shot. Well things to think on for sure I have been reading some back log of posts in this site, should I get the nerve test and if I do what will that do for me ? If it comes back positive then it is still the same and if it does not I see here that it does not always show in the test so then what? I am not oposed to this but want to know what change it will make for me and what value it will have? I see allot of people take neurtourn sorry spelling? Is this something that might work or help? Have u tried it? I know if I go in to see my pod and am loaded with to much knowledge he might be uncomfortable but then if I dont have some I might be unprepared to make a good decision for myself, and this time I have to go myself as I have noone else to go as hubby cannot.So really I intend to write things down so as when I get tounge tied and can not think or speak lol I can glance at my list hehehe!Well I know this is quite long and I know I start to stress when things are not smoothe , but just looking for words from those who have the wisdom and experiance to provide them. I am trying very hard to think this thru without going spastic lol. I know first step is taking charge of oneself right? Ok am trying to help that one out! Thanks to anyone who can help me out with their wisdom.Am listening and taking notes!

Re: PT/Tammy

Susie on 8/09/01 at 13:28 (056036)

Hello, I had my tts surgery late April and started pt June.I have had some complications from the surgery due to the nerves
not responding very well along with alot of hypersensativity. My calf and thigh lost alot of tone because nothing was sparking correctly to get it all going again. I have been treated for RSD for 2 months now and I am moving along very well now, I walk on my own with a limp but hope to get that under control too. I am also taking neurontin to help dull the hyper nerves so I can continue agressive therapy. I dont notice much difference with the drug except my head is groggy!! I also have scar build up along the tunnel so thats why we do alot of streching and hopefully it will work so I dont have to have it removed (another surgery). My opinion is the tts surgery only works some of the time and there seems to be complications in most cases which I was not aware of when I had agreed to the surgery. My foot does seem better than it did but I do not have all the feeling or range of motion back and it may just have to be this way and deal with it for the rest of my life. Hope
every thing works out for you. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail scalla@bellatlantic.net I dont have all the answers but have gone through alot getting to where I am now. I just want to run the forrest gump!!!!! Susie

Andrea R. on 8/09/01 at 13:44 (056039)

Tammie,

Like you I had the PF and spur removal. I've been experiencing pain on the inside just under the ankle and my doctor thinks it might be the start of TTS. He told me to start on the anti-inflamatories and see if that helps. They were helping until a few days ago. I did a bit too much walking and stair climbing on Monday and really suffered for it on Tuesday. It was feeling better until yesterday when my husband called to say he was in the hospital with chest pains. Then it was off walking all over the hospital, off to Walmart for pajamas and something for him to read, and back to the hospital to drop everything off. This morning I went to work only to have to make another trip home and another trip to the hospital. They aren't sure what's wrong but not a heart attack. Needless to say my foot is killing me.

My doctor suggested either iontopheresis at PT or a cast. Thankfully no shots. Right now I trying to keep going on just ice, rest as I can get it and Vioxx. Maybe when things calm down I'll call the doctor and discuss it more. He also recommended I continue moderate stretching but nothing like your PT recommends.

Thankfully the physical therapist I last had is no longer there. He had a terrible attitude and used to turn up the ionto machine so much I'd get minor burns. If I decide to go back to PT I'll request the one I had before who listened and considered it a partnership rather than a dictatorship.

Sorry to ramble on but I'm trying to keep my spirits up and this seems to help.

When things settle and I can talk to my ortho I'll let you know what type of cast he's thinking of. He said I'd be able to shower with it. I'll keep you informed.

Keep your spirits up.

Andrea

wendyn on 8/09/01 at 13:47 (056041)

Andrea - when you say 'stair climbing' - do you mean real stairs or the stair climber for exercise? If it's real stairs - you can't avoid them - but please don't use a step maching if you're using one.

Steps seem to be tough on TTS (especially the machines)

Andrea R. on 8/09/01 at 13:58 (056046)

Wendy,

They were real stairs. My husband's company had an outting that included a tour of a cable ship and I was feeling good and decided to do the tour. Alot of the steps where the metal ladder/steps like military ships have.

I wouldn't go near the machine version. The stationary bike is much safer and doesn't hurt.

Thanks for your concern,

Andrea

Re: andrea

tammie on 8/09/01 at 15:53 (056061)

Thank u for the response,First most of importantly,I want to tell you dont ever feel as tho u ramble lol I am the queen of it proably. And I would love to let you talk as sometimes I have found that is good medicine to as it lets out everything and you can just relax as it is finally out! I am sorry about your husband , that is sad I sure hope he is ok and that soon he will be home with you and all will be ok. I can just imagaine the stresss that must be for the both of u!I hope it is nothing serious will keep you both in my prayers!
Now the pt part My pt lady has come around after talking with my dr. although she is a mover and likes to jump into things I do think she is trying in her heart to help. I get that iontopheresis done that is the word I could not spell lol I get that and the ultrasound done and that is all he wants at the moment ! Oh and heat or cold she is to experiment with to. Pt lady is aressive a personality to lol but I do admire her fiestyness just a bit shy of it do to the flare up over the first.She lets me set the knob for the iontopheresis and helps me if I ask her how much I should let it go. But one thing she does that makes me worry about her is she decides that maybe dr. is wrong and lets try something else kinda deal, and that worries me so I try to be kind and say if u will run it by him if he agrees lets do it! If she hesitates I say I am sorry but do to the last misiery, I am only going by what he wishes as he has got me this far, I am not going to ruin all that has been acomplished which is not total but I can walk on a heel that I could not before! I just wonder how long to give pt and this till I should start thinking maybe other things, or adding something I dont want to rush but I dont want to wait months with no results either! I want some advice as I dont want to be either hasty or lingering to long! Take care and I do hope things settle for u soon!

Re: Re:ps

tammie on 8/09/01 at hrmin (056064)

I have done several antinflams. notice no difference at this point have been on the newest one mobic for about a week. I wonder if the cast is like what they used after the pf surgery it is removable to shower, It is like a moon boot lol no it is a pneomontic boot or something , I am awful speller I am sorry ! Typer to lol. I talk much better ! I see my pod wed. but I am trying to gather information so that we will be able to talk and I will know what he is saying and have questions to ask,and one of my worriesome is if another cortisone will make a difference, I dont know if it is my clouded thought that makes me feel i shouldnt have another( as I fear the pain again hehehe) Or if there is really good reason not to try another. I just had the expierance with the pf that I had 3 and had nothing to write home about if u get my drift and he said they did not work for me for that. So this makes me wonder why should I have to go this way again to have same results. See I do ramble on lol! Thanks again and anytime u need to talk feel free to mail me!