Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

exercise & stretch for heel spur

Posted by MichaelK on 8/09/01 at hrmin (056055)

I've been a marathon runner for 7 yrs, and after a hard race about 4 weeks ago, i discovered i've Plantar Fasc. My questions :
1. Do i keep on running with reduced mileage & speed or totally stop & for how long ?
2. Stretching - is more better, ie. stretch 25 times a day ?
3. Everyone talks about deep water running or cycling as an alternate - how about the stairmaster ?

Thanks
Michael

Re: exercise & stretch for heel spur

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/09/01 at 16:36 (056071)

More stretching isn't better. In fact too much stretching can cause more pain and loss of running time. I need to know why you started with pf before I can inform you to run etc. Complete rest is the best way to go but I will allow patients to run in some cases. Check your shoes out and try to think of the why now pf

Re: exercise & stretch for heel spur

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/09/01 at 16:36 (056071)

More stretching isn't better. In fact too much stretching can cause more pain and loss of running time. I need to know why you started with pf before I can inform you to run etc. Complete rest is the best way to go but I will allow patients to run in some cases. Check your shoes out and try to think of the why now pf