Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar pain

Posted by Barbara R on 8/09/01 at hrmin (056091)

I have been reading the articles and not sure if mine is the same. My 'pain' really isn't a pain as my toes and plantar 'ball' of my foot go numb. It is only on one foot, my left, and the big toe and one next to it are numb but not the tingly needles numb. I have back problems and see a doctor for this and was wondering if this could be caused by a nerve being pinched. It doesn't hurt it is just annoying. Thank you in advance

Re: plantar pain

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/09/01 at hrmin (056107)

Numbness has a long list of causes. Metabolic causes such as diabetes or Vit. B12 deficiency usually cause numbness on both feet so these are not likely causes. Low back problems would be high on the list. Think of the nerves in your bodies as electrical circuits that need to be tested. Nerve conduction velocity testing (NCV) is usually a good way to pinpoint where the problem is. NCV testing is done primarily by two specialties: Neurology and physiatry.
Ed

Re: plantar pain

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/09/01 at hrmin (056107)

Numbness has a long list of causes. Metabolic causes such as diabetes or Vit. B12 deficiency usually cause numbness on both feet so these are not likely causes. Low back problems would be high on the list. Think of the nerves in your bodies as electrical circuits that need to be tested. Nerve conduction velocity testing (NCV) is usually a good way to pinpoint where the problem is. NCV testing is done primarily by two specialties: Neurology and physiatry.
Ed