Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Flat feet/ Hammertoe surgery

Posted by Erica Ingram on 8/09/01 at 22:31 (056115)

I've noticed since my hammertoe surgery on my left foot, that when I place my foot flat on the floor or in my orthopedic shoe, my foot tends to bend outwards. Is this normal? I'm gonna f/u with my doctor next Tuesday.

I have flat feet. And before the surgery, I always had a tendency to turn my foot inwards, as a result, I was constantly buying new shoes, because they wore out quickly. I'm having difficulty walking in my orthopedic shoe. It seems kinda of awkward walking in my orthopedic shoe, because my foot is bending outwards & I want to bend it inwards.

The first week after my surgery, I was placed in a black orthopedic shoe, which had a very large heel, to keep the weight of my toes. I am now currently wearing the blue orthopedic.

Also, how long do you typically have to wear the orthpedic shoe, before you can go into a tennis shoe or regular shoe? My surgery again, was on my left foot, involving 4 toes. I know each individual person is different. Next tuesday, will make 4 weeks.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Erica

Re: Flat feet/ Hammertoe surgery

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/10/01 at 08:40 (056140)

Hammer toe surgery on four toes is going to swell for a few months . A loose tennis shoe is possible at this point depending on what type of hammer toe surgery you had. If your doctor fused the joint better check with him before getting into any other shoe. A post-op still shoe is very important if you had a fusion procedure done

Re: fusion procedure?

tara c on 8/11/01 at 08:18 (056294)

Dr Z what is this fusion procedure you are referring to? I had hammertoe surgery 4 weeks ago and am doing excellent. The pin is still in for another 2 weeks, but I feel I would be fine w/o it. My Dr said I should wear the surgical shoe for another 5 weeks still, but I am wearing slip on flats whenever I go out (to dinner, etc) but stay in the surgical shoe as often as possible otherwise.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/11/01 at 10:41 (056309)

It sounds like both side of the joint in the toes was removed so that the ends will healed together. The little joint won's bend which is very good for aligment and any type of metatarsal head procedures.. Stay in the surgical shoe cause you could break the pin and that could be another surgery to get it out

Re: Flat feet/ Hammertoe surgery

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/10/01 at 08:40 (056140)

Hammer toe surgery on four toes is going to swell for a few months . A loose tennis shoe is possible at this point depending on what type of hammer toe surgery you had. If your doctor fused the joint better check with him before getting into any other shoe. A post-op still shoe is very important if you had a fusion procedure done

tara c on 8/11/01 at 08:18 (056294)

Dr Z what is this fusion procedure you are referring to? I had hammertoe surgery 4 weeks ago and am doing excellent. The pin is still in for another 2 weeks, but I feel I would be fine w/o it. My Dr said I should wear the surgical shoe for another 5 weeks still, but I am wearing slip on flats whenever I go out (to dinner, etc) but stay in the surgical shoe as often as possible otherwise.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/11/01 at 10:41 (056309)

It sounds like both side of the joint in the toes was removed so that the ends will healed together. The little joint won's bend which is very good for aligment and any type of metatarsal head procedures.. Stay in the surgical shoe cause you could break the pin and that could be another surgery to get it out