Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help me out of this funk, please!

Posted by LisaG on 8/10/01 at 01:25 (056125)

It's so depressing...I suddenly feel semi-crippled. Took the kids today to Mervyn's for some back to school shopping and just that little bit of walking around has my heel throbbing like crazy! The cortisone shot only lasted one day! Is there any relief in sight? Does anyone out there know anything about Myofascial Therapy?

-Lisa

Re: Help me out of this funk, please!

Paula G. on 8/10/01 at 09:01 (056144)

I fully understand. The not being able to walk. I hate to suggest this, but I use a cane and that seems to help with the weight bearing and makes walking somewhat more bearable.
My second cortizone shot only lasted a few days. The first one lasted 6 weeks and was wonderful.
I am so sorry...I know it hurts so bad

BrianG on 8/10/01 at 09:30 (056149)

Hi Lisa,

Are you taping your feet before going out? It's one of the things that help me. The others are: pain meds, orthotics, stretching, and Jade. Hope you find some relief.

BCG

john h on 8/10/01 at 10:22 (056166)

Lisa: this is not going away in a hurry but being young you have an excellent chance for full recovery so keep the faith and follow some of the advice on this board. i have often said some of the real heroes on this board are the moms with small children who have to function no matter what or how much they hurt! When you hurt type it out on the board and get it out of your system.

ellen w on 8/10/01 at 10:34 (056169)

Lisa,
Do a search on this board under Active Release Therapy. One of our posters, Donna SL, has had a good experience with this. I have been having good luck with pain relief using an osteoarthritis drug called Mobic (though my symptoms at this point are pretty mild and I am not sure it would have had the same effect when my foot was at its worst.)
ellen

Stephanie S. on 8/10/01 at 19:10 (056239)

Lisa..I remember my sister in law talking about that...isn't that some type of massage or something???? Keep up with the icing...the anti-inflammatories should help some with the pain. Vioxx helped me better than the celebrex.

I cannot believe you took all four out shopping for clothes...you have truely lost your mind...teehee. No way..not doing it..nightmare from the get-go. I'd hire a babysitter anyday to not have to deal with that too. I paid dearly for a babysitter to NOT have to take them school supply shopping. My sister in law pitched in and went with me...I took two lists..she took the other two...and we had it nipped in the bud within an hour. As much as these teacher's ask for these days..I was tempted to throw in a roll or two of toilet paper...my gosh...can they ask for anything more? I even had a disposable camara on three of the children's list. I didn't buy them...not..can't see it being of any educational value. I dare one to ask me where mine is...I've already supplied them with the paper towels and cleaners for the next year....know the feeling?

I'm sure if it were only you...it wouldn't have taken as long at the store..you would've been in and out. But of course your talking to the lady who takes her's to the grocery store...pushing one cart and pulling another....I so love the stares I get...and even the 'Are they ALL your's?'

Umm...as far as it being depressing...I understand that one too...not easy to deal with the PF and the kid's all at the same time...the homework..and every other motherly / wifely chore. My honest answer is 'zoloft'..I think I'd lose my mind if I didn't have it. It keeps me halfway sane...I cannot believe I just admitted it..but oh well!

Today's not been the greatest of days for me. The kid's are bouncing off the walls..every nieghborhood kid wants to be at my house..I've tried for the past 3 days to go up to the pool.in hopes of somehow seperating them but.. because of the weather..it's been closed. I'm in the most blah mood known to man right now..so much as I didn't even go to Patterson Field with my husband and daughter...just sent them on their way with a camara.

I'm fixing the younger ones dinner...taking a long shower..jumping in the ugliest / most comfortable p.j's...tucking them in the bed..and reading my book...that's my plan for tonight.

I'm counting my days...5 more days ...5 more days...5 more days...and finally..I will get some type of peace. I absolutely cannot wait...the first few days..umm..I'll probably catch up on sleep...then I'll get busy with things I've been wanting to do around the house...and finally have some time to myself.

Steph

LisaG on 8/11/01 at 03:17 (056288)

Thanks, Stephanie, for the encouragement and support. I'd truly be lost without this board. I know I was nuts to go shopping...I'm just stubborn and don't want to easily give up what I'm used to!
Yes, I know about the school supply lists! One teacher last year even had bean bag chairs on her list, as well as relaxing music CD's...can you believe the nerve!
Well, I know this post is short, but it's late and I have to go to bed.
Thanks again!

Glenn X on 8/11/01 at 12:03 (056319)

John: Nicely said. I too am often awed by the courage I read about here on heelspurs, particularly from moms with kids. Makes my own situation painless in comparison.

Paula G. on 8/10/01 at 09:01 (056144)

I fully understand. The not being able to walk. I hate to suggest this, but I use a cane and that seems to help with the weight bearing and makes walking somewhat more bearable.
My second cortizone shot only lasted a few days. The first one lasted 6 weeks and was wonderful.
I am so sorry...I know it hurts so bad

BrianG on 8/10/01 at 09:30 (056149)

Hi Lisa,

Are you taping your feet before going out? It's one of the things that help me. The others are: pain meds, orthotics, stretching, and Jade. Hope you find some relief.

BCG

john h on 8/10/01 at 10:22 (056166)

Lisa: this is not going away in a hurry but being young you have an excellent chance for full recovery so keep the faith and follow some of the advice on this board. i have often said some of the real heroes on this board are the moms with small children who have to function no matter what or how much they hurt! When you hurt type it out on the board and get it out of your system.

ellen w on 8/10/01 at 10:34 (056169)

Lisa,
Do a search on this board under Active Release Therapy. One of our posters, Donna SL, has had a good experience with this. I have been having good luck with pain relief using an osteoarthritis drug called Mobic (though my symptoms at this point are pretty mild and I am not sure it would have had the same effect when my foot was at its worst.)
ellen

Stephanie S. on 8/10/01 at 19:10 (056239)

Lisa..I remember my sister in law talking about that...isn't that some type of massage or something???? Keep up with the icing...the anti-inflammatories should help some with the pain. Vioxx helped me better than the celebrex.

I cannot believe you took all four out shopping for clothes...you have truely lost your mind...teehee. No way..not doing it..nightmare from the get-go. I'd hire a babysitter anyday to not have to deal with that too. I paid dearly for a babysitter to NOT have to take them school supply shopping. My sister in law pitched in and went with me...I took two lists..she took the other two...and we had it nipped in the bud within an hour. As much as these teacher's ask for these days..I was tempted to throw in a roll or two of toilet paper...my gosh...can they ask for anything more? I even had a disposable camara on three of the children's list. I didn't buy them...not..can't see it being of any educational value. I dare one to ask me where mine is...I've already supplied them with the paper towels and cleaners for the next year....know the feeling?

I'm sure if it were only you...it wouldn't have taken as long at the store..you would've been in and out. But of course your talking to the lady who takes her's to the grocery store...pushing one cart and pulling another....I so love the stares I get...and even the 'Are they ALL your's?'

Umm...as far as it being depressing...I understand that one too...not easy to deal with the PF and the kid's all at the same time...the homework..and every other motherly / wifely chore. My honest answer is 'zoloft'..I think I'd lose my mind if I didn't have it. It keeps me halfway sane...I cannot believe I just admitted it..but oh well!

Today's not been the greatest of days for me. The kid's are bouncing off the walls..every nieghborhood kid wants to be at my house..I've tried for the past 3 days to go up to the pool.in hopes of somehow seperating them but.. because of the weather..it's been closed. I'm in the most blah mood known to man right now..so much as I didn't even go to Patterson Field with my husband and daughter...just sent them on their way with a camara.

I'm fixing the younger ones dinner...taking a long shower..jumping in the ugliest / most comfortable p.j's...tucking them in the bed..and reading my book...that's my plan for tonight.

I'm counting my days...5 more days ...5 more days...5 more days...and finally..I will get some type of peace. I absolutely cannot wait...the first few days..umm..I'll probably catch up on sleep...then I'll get busy with things I've been wanting to do around the house...and finally have some time to myself.

Steph

LisaG on 8/11/01 at 03:17 (056288)

Thanks, Stephanie, for the encouragement and support. I'd truly be lost without this board. I know I was nuts to go shopping...I'm just stubborn and don't want to easily give up what I'm used to!
Yes, I know about the school supply lists! One teacher last year even had bean bag chairs on her list, as well as relaxing music CD's...can you believe the nerve!
Well, I know this post is short, but it's late and I have to go to bed.
Thanks again!

Glenn X on 8/11/01 at 12:03 (056319)

John: Nicely said. I too am often awed by the courage I read about here on heelspurs, particularly from moms with kids. Makes my own situation painless in comparison.