Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

One more doctor bites the dust.....

Posted by D.Thomas on 8/10/01 at 12:29 (056186)

Well,

I just got back from my first Doctor appt. this week. And I don't have a great feeling about him. Why don't Doctors ask you questions?

At least simple questions like:

(1) Ok give me a breakdown of what has been happening?
(2) In your opinion what has seem to work and what has seem to cause pain?
(3) Give me the full list of the things you have tried and when?

Instead I get, 'Oh,let me have that orthotic and I'll try and adjust it for you and if it doesn't work I have a better one for you.' He never said anything about stretching or anything else. He did prescribed some thing called 'dose pak' or something like that with Vioxx for the inflammation. I haven't filled that prescription yet.

I am hoping the Monday one is better or I am going to make a long trip to Detroit to see this other Doctor. Talk about being frustrated. You would think you could find one good Doctor out of 8. Even if it was random, you would hope there is a 1 out of 8 ratio.

Re: One more doctor bites the dust.....

Julie on 8/10/01 at 13:04 (056190)

D. Thomas, I suggested in a post last week that you tell us where you live so that the doctors here can, possibly, recommend someone they know, or whom they know has the best qualifications. Please do that, so that you minimize the likelihood of wasting more time.

Andrea R. on 8/10/01 at 13:27 (056191)

D. Thomas,

Try going to 'Rate Your Dr' on this web site. Choose to search the database. There were two doctors in the Detroit area that received a rating of 10. One had two patients that rated him a 10.

Good luck,

Andrea

D.Thomas on 8/10/01 at 14:23 (056200)

Hey Julie,

I did post in 'Ask the Doctors' about two weeks ago where I lived and that I was looking for a new Doctor and that I could use some help. Dr. Davis was the only one who responded and just linked two doctor databases for me to check. That is about the same as looking in the yellow pages. I live in Indianapolis, IN. And yes, I have checked the doctor database here. There is only one listed. And he is not on my insurance even though with only one response you have to wonder how reliable that is anyway.

I have to admit that I am really intrigued by Dr. Manoli in Detroit. I have written him an email from an artice someone here had posted about high arches and orthotics. He seems very knowledgeable and has a good reputation. He told me he would see me, but that would be probably at the end of the month. He says alot of people come to see him from out of town. He actually said Tuesdays and Thursdays are for people from out of town. Wow, makes you wonder? However, his assistant is on vacation so I don't know if my insurance would work so I might have to pay out of my back pocket. But, I would give anything to just to have no pain and be able to walk again.

I guess I just keep making appointments until I find one that I like. That is the best I know what to do right now.

Thanks for the support Julie.

Julie on 8/10/01 at 15:58 (056216)

You're very welcome! Keep plugging away and you'll find a doctor who will help you. I should think a really good one is worth the effort of trips to Detroit - and also worth paying for, if you can. Keep us posted.

You're in Indianapolis! My best friend came from Crawfordsville.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 8/10/01 at 20:07 (056251)

I'm from the Detroit area. Who are you seeing there???

JeanB on 8/10/01 at 22:53 (056263)

Fill the Vioxx prescription. It really works. It relieves the inflammation that accompanies this syndrome and that allows you to then stretch properly.

Re: look at post under orthotics section

BG CPed on 8/12/01 at 10:29 (056431)

I left a post under the orthotic section, you may find it helpful

D.Thomas on 8/13/01 at 10:50 (056557)

I don't have the email with me, but I think his name was Dr. Arthur Manoli. I think he teaches at Wayne State University. Have you heard of him?

Dr. Marlene Reid on 8/13/01 at 23:03 (056672)

No, is he a podiatrist or an ortho?

D.Thomas on 8/14/01 at 11:40 (056713)

Ortho.

Somebody posted this:
http://www.biomech.com/db_area/archives/2001/0101orthoses.55.bio.html

Julie on 8/10/01 at 13:04 (056190)

D. Thomas, I suggested in a post last week that you tell us where you live so that the doctors here can, possibly, recommend someone they know, or whom they know has the best qualifications. Please do that, so that you minimize the likelihood of wasting more time.

Andrea R. on 8/10/01 at 13:27 (056191)

D. Thomas,

Try going to 'Rate Your Dr' on this web site. Choose to search the database. There were two doctors in the Detroit area that received a rating of 10. One had two patients that rated him a 10.

Good luck,

Andrea

D.Thomas on 8/10/01 at 14:23 (056200)

Hey Julie,

I did post in 'Ask the Doctors' about two weeks ago where I lived and that I was looking for a new Doctor and that I could use some help. Dr. Davis was the only one who responded and just linked two doctor databases for me to check. That is about the same as looking in the yellow pages. I live in Indianapolis, IN. And yes, I have checked the doctor database here. There is only one listed. And he is not on my insurance even though with only one response you have to wonder how reliable that is anyway.

I have to admit that I am really intrigued by Dr. Manoli in Detroit. I have written him an email from an artice someone here had posted about high arches and orthotics. He seems very knowledgeable and has a good reputation. He told me he would see me, but that would be probably at the end of the month. He says alot of people come to see him from out of town. He actually said Tuesdays and Thursdays are for people from out of town. Wow, makes you wonder? However, his assistant is on vacation so I don't know if my insurance would work so I might have to pay out of my back pocket. But, I would give anything to just to have no pain and be able to walk again.

I guess I just keep making appointments until I find one that I like. That is the best I know what to do right now.

Thanks for the support Julie.

Julie on 8/10/01 at 15:58 (056216)

You're very welcome! Keep plugging away and you'll find a doctor who will help you. I should think a really good one is worth the effort of trips to Detroit - and also worth paying for, if you can. Keep us posted.

You're in Indianapolis! My best friend came from Crawfordsville.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 8/10/01 at 20:07 (056251)

I'm from the Detroit area. Who are you seeing there???

JeanB on 8/10/01 at 22:53 (056263)

Fill the Vioxx prescription. It really works. It relieves the inflammation that accompanies this syndrome and that allows you to then stretch properly.

Re: look at post under orthotics section

BG CPed on 8/12/01 at 10:29 (056431)

I left a post under the orthotic section, you may find it helpful

D.Thomas on 8/13/01 at 10:50 (056557)

I don't have the email with me, but I think his name was Dr. Arthur Manoli. I think he teaches at Wayne State University. Have you heard of him?

Dr. Marlene Reid on 8/13/01 at 23:03 (056672)

No, is he a podiatrist or an ortho?

D.Thomas on 8/14/01 at 11:40 (056713)

Ortho.

Somebody posted this:
http://www.biomech.com/db_area/archives/2001/0101orthoses.55.bio.html