Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

feet ache at night

Posted by sadams on 8/10/01 at 15:52 (056214)

I have been diagnosed with PF and have been wearing my orthotics for a year now. The pain in the heel of my right foot has pretty much went away but I still have pain in my left heel.

I wear my orthotics (therefore I have shoes on) all day until I go to bed. If I'm sitting down at home in the evening I'll take my shoes off but anytime I'm walking or standing I have shoes on with my orthotics.

I always wear lace up shoes. Slip ons just don't work because there's not enough room for my orthotics AND my feet. I've had my feet measured by a professional shoe seller and I have medium width.

Whenever I take my shoes off, especially at bedtime, my feet ache and throb and are sore across the tops of both feet and are sore to the touch on the left outside of my left foot and the right outside of my right foot.
And most time my little pinkie toes hurt. It takes a long time to fall asleep because of my feet aching.

Extra strength tylenol doesn't help much. And I was on Feldene for a while for the inflammation in my heels and during that time I still had these sore feet.

I have ALL kinds of lace up shoes and I have men's and women's because I know men's tend to run a little wider. At the professional shoe seller, who measured my feet, they fitted me with a pair of $90 SAS shoes (my pod recommended this brand). I think the SAS almost hurt me more than my Adidas tennis shoes or some of the other shoes I have that cost a lot less.

I've mentioned this to my ped 2 times and both times he says I'm experiencing compression pain from my feet being in shoes all day. He suggested the SAS shoes and that I have my width measured, when I purchased shoes, to make sure my shoes weren't too narrow or that I didn't have a wide foot.

Logically I know what's happening but the only thing I know to do is try different shoes and trust me I have.

For the across-the-top-of-the-foot pain logically the orthotics are taking up room in my shoes, therefore I don't have as much 'headroom' and the top of my feet are being squeezed against the shoe, even though I wear laceups.

For the side-of-foot-pain Logically I would think this is because my shoes aren't wide enough but I've tried men's and women's tennis shoes, eastlands, SAS, sketchers, Fila, Keds, various hiking shoes etc.....and I have these pains with all shoes. My other thought for the side-of-foot pain is that the orthotics is raised (higher) on the inside and this causes my feet to slide into the sides of my shoes.

Anyone have this problem?

Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading my long-winded post

sadams

Re: feet ache at night

Julie on 8/10/01 at 16:07 (056217)

My first thought was that you might be wearing shoes that are too small for you, and I was going to be cheeky and ask you how old you are! Our feet spread as we grow older (mine are now two sizes bigger than they were 30 years ago) - but then I read that you've been properly measured, so that's probably not the problem.

What does sound likely is that you need a shoe with a higher toe box than you've so far been able to find. If the shoes you have are pressing against the tops of your feet all the time, it's not surprising they hurt! I have a similar problem and have always found it difficult to find shoes, but have recently solved the problem with a North Face shoe called Targa. This is only one suggestion - I'm sure others will have others - but it might be worth looking for them.

D.Thomas on 8/10/01 at 16:47 (056225)

Ah, the famous shoe search. Believe me, I have become an expert in running shoes. I know all the brands and different fits.

You might like the adidas becuase they have larger toe boxes than others. It actually sounds like you have the same problem I have with my feet.

I have a narrow to medium heel but a wider foot in the toe area. So when I get measured, they say I am a narrow or medium width. But whenever I try on those shoes, the outside part of my feet around the pinkie toe area gets pinched or squished and that bugs the hell out of me.

I have found that wide widths are better for my toe area but loose with my ankle. It's a trade off I have to make.

You might try the SL-2 last from New Balance which is built with a higher arch and a wider, deeper toebox. They have them for different feet (normal, flat, high-arched) given if you pronate excessively.

Just a thought.

I actually have ordered custom shoes. They cost more, but I'm tired of trying to get a mass produced shoe to fit.

D.Thomas on 8/10/01 at 17:57 (056232)

Sorry but remembered other shoes you might try (Running shoes are expesive but I have found them to be the best comfort and stability):

If you have high arches (These are only in medium, but do have bigger toe boxes):
Mizuno - Wave creation (Has a great mesh that allows big toe box. Expensive but a great shoe.
Adidas - Boston (Has a great ride)
Asics GEL-Cumulus II (available in different widths)

Flat feet:
Asics Gel-MC Plus (available in different widths)

Asics and New Balance usually have the best choices for different widths. And like I stated before, I would try the sl-2 last from New Balance. The best shoe I have ever owned was the Saucony Grid Jazz 99i. But they don't make it anymore and the new model is not even close to the old. That's the problem with these shoe companies they change their models every year, so if you find a shoe you love, buy multiple pairs.

If you have any questions, just let me know. I'll be around for awhile the way my feet are going.

sadams on 8/13/01 at 09:10 (056546)

Thanks for your comments and shoe suggestions, I'll try to find some of these shoes.

I have flat-feet, forgot to mention that before.

When I was a child I was always told I had a narrow foot, but as you've said our feet can spread as we get older. Plus I've put on a lot of weight since I was younger.

I know losing weight would be better for my health over-all but getting my feet healed would make it easier (and less painful) to exercise I think. My favorite excerise is to get in a park and walk but I've really let that slide because of my feet problems.

I tried the SAS shoes in wide width but the shoes were too wide for my heel and my heel would slide out when I walked. So as you've said it is very hard to find shoes that fit the our feet especially if we don't have feet shaped like a majority of the population.

Thanks for your suggestions.

sadams

sadams on 8/13/01 at 09:15 (056547)

D. Thomas - you say you have ordered custom shoes. Were these tennis shoes or what type of shoe were they? What company did you order them from?

Thanks

sadams

D.Thomas on 8/13/01 at 10:35 (056556)

http://www.herseycustomshoe.com/

Julie on 8/10/01 at 16:07 (056217)

My first thought was that you might be wearing shoes that are too small for you, and I was going to be cheeky and ask you how old you are! Our feet spread as we grow older (mine are now two sizes bigger than they were 30 years ago) - but then I read that you've been properly measured, so that's probably not the problem.

What does sound likely is that you need a shoe with a higher toe box than you've so far been able to find. If the shoes you have are pressing against the tops of your feet all the time, it's not surprising they hurt! I have a similar problem and have always found it difficult to find shoes, but have recently solved the problem with a North Face shoe called Targa. This is only one suggestion - I'm sure others will have others - but it might be worth looking for them.

D.Thomas on 8/10/01 at 16:47 (056225)

Ah, the famous shoe search. Believe me, I have become an expert in running shoes. I know all the brands and different fits.

You might like the adidas becuase they have larger toe boxes than others. It actually sounds like you have the same problem I have with my feet.

I have a narrow to medium heel but a wider foot in the toe area. So when I get measured, they say I am a narrow or medium width. But whenever I try on those shoes, the outside part of my feet around the pinkie toe area gets pinched or squished and that bugs the hell out of me.

I have found that wide widths are better for my toe area but loose with my ankle. It's a trade off I have to make.

You might try the SL-2 last from New Balance which is built with a higher arch and a wider, deeper toebox. They have them for different feet (normal, flat, high-arched) given if you pronate excessively.

Just a thought.

I actually have ordered custom shoes. They cost more, but I'm tired of trying to get a mass produced shoe to fit.

D.Thomas on 8/10/01 at 17:57 (056232)

Sorry but remembered other shoes you might try (Running shoes are expesive but I have found them to be the best comfort and stability):

If you have high arches (These are only in medium, but do have bigger toe boxes):
Mizuno - Wave creation (Has a great mesh that allows big toe box. Expensive but a great shoe.
Adidas - Boston (Has a great ride)
Asics GEL-Cumulus II (available in different widths)

Flat feet:
Asics Gel-MC Plus (available in different widths)

Asics and New Balance usually have the best choices for different widths. And like I stated before, I would try the sl-2 last from New Balance. The best shoe I have ever owned was the Saucony Grid Jazz 99i. But they don't make it anymore and the new model is not even close to the old. That's the problem with these shoe companies they change their models every year, so if you find a shoe you love, buy multiple pairs.

If you have any questions, just let me know. I'll be around for awhile the way my feet are going.

sadams on 8/13/01 at 09:10 (056546)

Thanks for your comments and shoe suggestions, I'll try to find some of these shoes.

I have flat-feet, forgot to mention that before.

When I was a child I was always told I had a narrow foot, but as you've said our feet can spread as we get older. Plus I've put on a lot of weight since I was younger.

I know losing weight would be better for my health over-all but getting my feet healed would make it easier (and less painful) to exercise I think. My favorite excerise is to get in a park and walk but I've really let that slide because of my feet problems.

I tried the SAS shoes in wide width but the shoes were too wide for my heel and my heel would slide out when I walked. So as you've said it is very hard to find shoes that fit the our feet especially if we don't have feet shaped like a majority of the population.

Thanks for your suggestions.

sadams

sadams on 8/13/01 at 09:15 (056547)

D. Thomas - you say you have ordered custom shoes. Were these tennis shoes or what type of shoe were they? What company did you order them from?

Thanks

sadams

D.Thomas on 8/13/01 at 10:35 (056556)

http://www.herseycustomshoe.com/