Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

sisterhood?

Posted by JudyS on 8/10/01 at 17:49 (056230)

I've joined the ranks......stopped at B & K and picked up a copy of The Poisonwood Bible on my way home from the Doc. Diagnosis = wrist tendonitis. I got the usual stuff, antiinflammatory, splints, etc. and a lecture....something about buying a good book and staying away from the keyboard for a while...... :)

Re: sisterhood?

john h on 8/10/01 at 18:25 (056235)

i guess you will go on the 15 day disabled list. no more electric drills or hammers for you judy. even barry bonds took a day off. against the cubs today. they do have computers that respond to voice commands.

Nancy N on 8/10/01 at 21:30 (056258)

OK, Judy, I guess I will have to get my copy off the 'to be read' pile and give it a go (though I really shold finish Pride and Prejudice first!). I will be amazed if it's not a good book, though. Barbara Kingsolver is one of my favorite authors--I knew I was going to love her from the first line of The Bean Trees....

JudyS on 8/11/01 at 01:38 (056278)

OK Nancy, given your temporary freedom from a time clock, now's the time to start a new novel! Saturday's the day.

Julie on 8/11/01 at 02:38 (056285)

Judy, we'll miss you if your diagnosis means you can't play with us for awhile!

Julie on 8/11/01 at 02:43 (056286)

I loved The Bean Trees and the others too, but I think The Poisonwood Bible is her best - I'm sure you will love it. I've just finished her latest (title slips my ancient mind for the moment) - it's the ecological novel she says she's always wanted to write, and is extremely interesting, but a little disappointing - not, I think, as good as the others.

Nancy N on 8/11/01 at 08:22 (056296)

Julie--

I think the new one is something like The Prodigal Summer--does that sound right?

I know she wrote more academic books before she started writing novels. I don't remember what the book is called, but I know of one about a group of women who went on strike...but I don't remember much more than that.

Ok, if I pick up The Poisonwood Bible (though I do feel like I need to finish Pride and Prejudice first!) and you don't see me for a while, it's because I can't stop turning pages!!!

Nancy N on 8/11/01 at 08:23 (056297)

Yes, I am gloriously and blissfully FREE from any and all work for two weeks (except for what I need to do to prepare for my new job). People keep asking me what I'm going to do with these two weeks and I tell them 'Anything I want!!!'

john h on 8/11/01 at 09:59 (056304)

judy will always have time to come out and play spint or no splint.

john h on 8/11/01 at 10:03 (056305)

Poisonwood Bible? all you girls are much excited about this book. i have seen no guy post on it? what is this book about and is something that a woman is more likely to read and enjoy than a man? i shall stop by Barnes and Noble today and check it out. you have peaked my interest. It will give me a break from St Thomas Acquainis which i can barely get through a few pages a day trying to understand his though provoking writings.

Julie on 8/11/01 at 10:14 (056306)

Nancy you should DEFINITELY finish Pride and Prejudice first. I don't see how you could not. Yes - it is The Prodigal Summer - it had slipped my mind. She's a biologist, isn't she? It's good, and I enjoyed it, but ultimately felt it was a bit contrived.

Julie on 8/11/01 at 10:15 (056307)

Oh goody!

Julie on 8/11/01 at 10:17 (056308)

The Poisonwood Bible is really about the Belgian Congo in the 60s and the role of the US in the assassination of Patrice Lumumba. It's told through the eyes of a family of four daughters of a mad preacher. Its interest is really historical, and is not at all limited to females. Try it.

Nancy N on 8/11/01 at 11:24 (056315)

OK, P&P comes first, and then I will tackle Poisonwood. I haven't read Prodigal Summer yet, either. (Ironic, since I was waiting for her to write some new things, but I think I liked the first ones so much I'm afraid the new ones won't be as good... but since you recommend Poisonwood so highly, I'll go for it!)

Julie on 8/11/01 at 12:44 (056323)

Poisonwood is completely different - but it's very good. Much more ambitious. Look forward to hearing what you think.

Re: Re:brotherhood

John on 8/12/01 at 09:43 (056424)

i decided on 'Gods and Generals' writen by son of author of 'The Killer Angels'. guess what i am a Civil War buff.

john h on 8/10/01 at 18:25 (056235)

i guess you will go on the 15 day disabled list. no more electric drills or hammers for you judy. even barry bonds took a day off. against the cubs today. they do have computers that respond to voice commands.

Nancy N on 8/10/01 at 21:30 (056258)

OK, Judy, I guess I will have to get my copy off the 'to be read' pile and give it a go (though I really shold finish Pride and Prejudice first!). I will be amazed if it's not a good book, though. Barbara Kingsolver is one of my favorite authors--I knew I was going to love her from the first line of The Bean Trees....

JudyS on 8/11/01 at 01:38 (056278)

OK Nancy, given your temporary freedom from a time clock, now's the time to start a new novel! Saturday's the day.

Julie on 8/11/01 at 02:38 (056285)

Judy, we'll miss you if your diagnosis means you can't play with us for awhile!

Julie on 8/11/01 at 02:43 (056286)

I loved The Bean Trees and the others too, but I think The Poisonwood Bible is her best - I'm sure you will love it. I've just finished her latest (title slips my ancient mind for the moment) - it's the ecological novel she says she's always wanted to write, and is extremely interesting, but a little disappointing - not, I think, as good as the others.

Nancy N on 8/11/01 at 08:22 (056296)

Julie--

I think the new one is something like The Prodigal Summer--does that sound right?

I know she wrote more academic books before she started writing novels. I don't remember what the book is called, but I know of one about a group of women who went on strike...but I don't remember much more than that.

Ok, if I pick up The Poisonwood Bible (though I do feel like I need to finish Pride and Prejudice first!) and you don't see me for a while, it's because I can't stop turning pages!!!

Nancy N on 8/11/01 at 08:23 (056297)

Yes, I am gloriously and blissfully FREE from any and all work for two weeks (except for what I need to do to prepare for my new job). People keep asking me what I'm going to do with these two weeks and I tell them 'Anything I want!!!'

john h on 8/11/01 at 09:59 (056304)

judy will always have time to come out and play spint or no splint.

john h on 8/11/01 at 10:03 (056305)

Poisonwood Bible? all you girls are much excited about this book. i have seen no guy post on it? what is this book about and is something that a woman is more likely to read and enjoy than a man? i shall stop by Barnes and Noble today and check it out. you have peaked my interest. It will give me a break from St Thomas Acquainis which i can barely get through a few pages a day trying to understand his though provoking writings.

Julie on 8/11/01 at 10:14 (056306)

Nancy you should DEFINITELY finish Pride and Prejudice first. I don't see how you could not. Yes - it is The Prodigal Summer - it had slipped my mind. She's a biologist, isn't she? It's good, and I enjoyed it, but ultimately felt it was a bit contrived.

Julie on 8/11/01 at 10:15 (056307)

Oh goody!

Julie on 8/11/01 at 10:17 (056308)

The Poisonwood Bible is really about the Belgian Congo in the 60s and the role of the US in the assassination of Patrice Lumumba. It's told through the eyes of a family of four daughters of a mad preacher. Its interest is really historical, and is not at all limited to females. Try it.

Nancy N on 8/11/01 at 11:24 (056315)

OK, P&P comes first, and then I will tackle Poisonwood. I haven't read Prodigal Summer yet, either. (Ironic, since I was waiting for her to write some new things, but I think I liked the first ones so much I'm afraid the new ones won't be as good... but since you recommend Poisonwood so highly, I'll go for it!)

Julie on 8/11/01 at 12:44 (056323)

Poisonwood is completely different - but it's very good. Much more ambitious. Look forward to hearing what you think.

Re: Re:brotherhood

John on 8/12/01 at 09:43 (056424)

i decided on 'Gods and Generals' writen by son of author of 'The Killer Angels'. guess what i am a Civil War buff.