Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Julie....foot rest for stretching....

Posted by Carmen H on 8/10/01 at 17:58 (056233)

Hi Julie! How are you? I'm hanging in there.
I am not supposed to do any stretching except rotating the ankles until I go to the ortho and back to the foot doc but sometimes my calves are so tight I can't stand it so I stretch them VERY gently. I use my foot rest and tilt it at an angle (Like Scott's brick trick) it feels like a dream and does a very good stretch on my calves. You might enjoy that move since we have the same type of foot rest....

Re: to Carmen

Julie on 8/11/01 at hrmin (056276)

Hello Carmen

Yes - I do ankle rotations when I'm at the computer, on my tilted footrest.

You got good advice about stretching, and I'm glad you've taken it. Even a simple, non-weight-bearing and essentially safe movement like the ankle rotations can cause pain and irritation to already irritated tissues if done too enthusiastically, and I thought when you complained about increased pain that you were probably doing too much.

Your new pod sounds better: I hope that betwen him and the ortho you get at the root, and move towards a resolution, of all your problems.

I'm still here, and I'm well, and have been looking for an e-mail from you after my last post - but perhaps you didn't see it?

Re: Which one?

Crmen H on 8/11/01 at 11:58 (056317)

I don't think I did see it or surely I would have replied....send me in the direction and I will check it out.
I went swimming today....Whew. Talk about a flash back into YMCA days!
Fun and I will continue gently and with caution. Doc said it was okay....
Haven't gained a pound in 9 weeks withOUT exercise so it can't hurt huh??

Julie on 8/11/01 at 12:49 (056325)

It's called 'Carmen', dated 8/9 (I think) and is on the 'More Detailed Explanation' thread you started a couple of days ago - on the next page of this (Treatments) board. It's too long.

Not a single pound! Good for you. No - I don't think it can't hurt. Keep swimming!

Re: Ahhhh...I read it!

Carmen H on 8/11/01 at 18:25 (056356)

I do recall reading that post through tears...and thinking you are exactly right Julie...an going to lay down and breath.
Thank you for your support...I have recommended to my poor friend Kim to write to you on here for guidance. You have really helped me a lot...even if it's just a gentle reminder to SLOW down...breath and let things 'go' every now and then.
I am also looking in to the Fibromyalgia idea in addition to Spine and SIJD problem. I want to go into this Ortho appt. 'armed' with possiblities....and answers if they are to be had.
I'm scared of something that can't be healed with time...
One day at a time they say...

Julie on 8/12/01 at hrmin (056395)

Carmen, I said at the end of that post that if you wanted to have a try at seeing how breathing and relaxation could help you, I would send you my tape, which you might find useful. E-mail me with your postal address if you would like me to do that. (Click on my name in blue, above.)

Good luck at your appointment with the ortho.

Re: to Carmen

Julie on 8/11/01 at hrmin (056276)

Hello Carmen

Yes - I do ankle rotations when I'm at the computer, on my tilted footrest.

You got good advice about stretching, and I'm glad you've taken it. Even a simple, non-weight-bearing and essentially safe movement like the ankle rotations can cause pain and irritation to already irritated tissues if done too enthusiastically, and I thought when you complained about increased pain that you were probably doing too much.

Your new pod sounds better: I hope that betwen him and the ortho you get at the root, and move towards a resolution, of all your problems.

I'm still here, and I'm well, and have been looking for an e-mail from you after my last post - but perhaps you didn't see it?

Crmen H on 8/11/01 at 11:58 (056317)

I don't think I did see it or surely I would have replied....send me in the direction and I will check it out.
I went swimming today....Whew. Talk about a flash back into YMCA days!
Fun and I will continue gently and with caution. Doc said it was okay....
Haven't gained a pound in 9 weeks withOUT exercise so it can't hurt huh??

Julie on 8/11/01 at 12:49 (056325)

It's called 'Carmen', dated 8/9 (I think) and is on the 'More Detailed Explanation' thread you started a couple of days ago - on the next page of this (Treatments) board. It's too long.

Not a single pound! Good for you. No - I don't think it can't hurt. Keep swimming!

Carmen H on 8/11/01 at 18:25 (056356)

I do recall reading that post through tears...and thinking you are exactly right Julie...an going to lay down and breath.
Thank you for your support...I have recommended to my poor friend Kim to write to you on here for guidance. You have really helped me a lot...even if it's just a gentle reminder to SLOW down...breath and let things 'go' every now and then.
I am also looking in to the Fibromyalgia idea in addition to Spine and SIJD problem. I want to go into this Ortho appt. 'armed' with possiblities....and answers if they are to be had.
I'm scared of something that can't be healed with time...
One day at a time they say...

Julie on 8/12/01 at hrmin (056395)

Carmen, I said at the end of that post that if you wanted to have a try at seeing how breathing and relaxation could help you, I would send you my tape, which you might find useful. E-mail me with your postal address if you would like me to do that. (Click on my name in blue, above.)

Good luck at your appointment with the ortho.