Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

my treatment so far

Posted by susanm on 8/11/01 at 12:01 (056318)

I have seen three foot doctors. Only this last one thinks it could be tarsal tunnel> the others thought it was a neuroma. I have taken anti-inflammatory drugs, been injected with cortisone and worn orthotics out of the box. I'm wearning Birkenstocks with the soft foot bed right now. This last foot doctor actually injected the neuroma with a solution that was supposed to kill the nerve. It didn't and now I have the symptoms which I described in the previous posting. I didn't have those before or at least didn't notice them until the pain from the neuroma had settled down. I have had physical therapy to strengthen my ankles, and the pt tells me that I have the most flexible feet he has ever seen. He thinks all my ligaments are shot. A chiropractor told me that she sees nothing stuctural that would indicate I would be a candidate for tts.

At my last visit my foot docotor told me some of his patients who had initially responded to the injections for the neuroma are now saying their pain is back and they are scheduling surgery.

I think I need to see a new doctor, but I am really confused about what kind. If this goes on much longer, I'm going to need a shrink.

Re: my treatment so far

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/12/01 at hrmin (056465)

Injection therapy for neuromas generally involves a series of injections as opposed to one shot.

Important: Most shots for neuromas include some anesthetic---How did your foot feel for about 3 hours following the shot? If the shot completely releived your foot pain for that 3 hour period (the period when the anesthetic was working) then a neuroma is the more likely diagnosis.
Ed

susanm on 8/13/01 at 07:41 (056536)

The first time I had such an injection, my feet felt pretty good; however, I did not notice such an improvement after subsequent injections.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/13/01 at hrmin (056578)

Are you referring to the three to four hour period immediately following the 'neuroma' shots?
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/12/01 at hrmin (056465)

Injection therapy for neuromas generally involves a series of injections as opposed to one shot.

Important: Most shots for neuromas include some anesthetic---How did your foot feel for about 3 hours following the shot? If the shot completely releived your foot pain for that 3 hour period (the period when the anesthetic was working) then a neuroma is the more likely diagnosis.
Ed

susanm on 8/13/01 at 07:41 (056536)

The first time I had such an injection, my feet felt pretty good; however, I did not notice such an improvement after subsequent injections.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/13/01 at hrmin (056578)

Are you referring to the three to four hour period immediately following the 'neuroma' shots?
Ed