Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

For those who like flowers

Posted by Scott R on 8/11/01 at 22:00 (056382)

It took about an hour to take these pictures and get them on the web:

http://www.heelspurs.com/scott/flowers.html

Re: For those who like flowers

janet c. on 8/11/01 at 22:54 (056387)

What beautiful images! Just lovely! Thank you for sharing your gorgeous garden with us! Alas, my feet don't allow me to spend the necessary time in my yard that I once enjoyed. And those that are capable around here, aren't willing. Oh well...

Julie on 8/12/01 at 03:28 (056398)

Gorgeous flowers - and wonderful pictures, Scott. What camera do you use? I am looking for someone to initiate me into the mysteries of digital photography - any tips you - or anyone - can offer will be much appreciated

Scott R on 8/12/01 at 07:14 (056406)

If you want to do pictures for the internet, the only option is the one I just got, the Sony DSC-P30. The only problem being that you need the $50 32MB memory stick in addition to the $300 camera plus $60 more for 8 AA Metal Lithium Rechargebale Batteries and the charger (get these from circuit city but get the 32 MB stick from buy.com). The camera only holds 2 AA's but they get used up quickly. The advertised 2000 pictures is possible only under extremely efficient conditions. Some decent online places may have the camera for as low as $270. If you want to print pictures out on large sheets of quality paper, get the DSC-P50 ($400) or maybe the Kodak 4800 or a newer variant ($500 or so). But wealthier people should consider the Sony CD300 or something like that that has the CD-ROM writer attached to it. The Sony mavica's with 3.5' floppies just don't have enough memory for very many pictures. Keep the LCD screen off to greatly extend battery life, especially when in camera mode. Switch it on only when yuo're ready to take a picture. Even doing this, I like to have 4 sets (8) of the AA batteries on hand.

Before making any purchase, check out the amazing set of pictures and cameras at
http://steves-digicams.com

DON'T LOSE THE ABOVE LINK. EVERYONE WILL NEED IT. IF YOU SPEND $150 A YEAR IN FILM AND DEVELOPMENT, CHUNK THE CAMERA NOW AND GET A GOOD DIGITAL CAMERA AND PRINTER. THE DEPRECIATION IN ELECTRONICS WILL MATCH THE FILM DEVELOPMENT AND YOU'LL GET MORE AND BETTER SELECTED PICTURES SINCE YOU DELETE THE JUNK PICTURES BEFORE THEY ARE PRINTED.

Scott R on 8/12/01 at 08:19 (056410)

3.3 MegaPixel camers still can't get images as good as film for the internet because when you re-size the picture to fit on a page, the quality deteriorates so that you might as well use a 1.3 MegaPixel. The only way to get a digital camera to be as good as film for internet usage is to print the large picture out, then scan it using carefully calculated dots per inch setting so that the scan comes out to the size you want without having to resize it electronically (which causes 'pixel aliasing' which is the source of lost quality). At least I'm having a problem with sharpness unless it's a close-up.

Julie on 8/12/01 at 08:50 (056417)

Thanks a lot, Scott. I've printed these posts out and will digest them. And one of these days I'll make the move.

john h on 8/12/01 at 09:14 (056421)

for a real experience if you like flowers and roses in particular go to
http://members.aol.com/Cindyf2ue/rose3.html

be sure and experience the entire site including poetry and the rose garden.

john h on 8/12/01 at 09:18 (056422)

try this URL as i typed it wrong:
http://members.aol.com/Cindyf2u2/rose3.htm

Brenda G. on 8/12/01 at 10:19 (056430)

Hi! another good site is pcphotoreview.com (Sorry, I'm not computer-literate enough to know how to send a link) It's an excellent site to review all cameras, all sizes, that's the way I chose my Sony Cybershot also. Alot of people shy away from Sony because it uses a 'memory stick' instead of the more common 2 types, but I love my sony. I'd send photos but don't know how either.

janet c. on 8/11/01 at 22:54 (056387)

What beautiful images! Just lovely! Thank you for sharing your gorgeous garden with us! Alas, my feet don't allow me to spend the necessary time in my yard that I once enjoyed. And those that are capable around here, aren't willing. Oh well...

Julie on 8/12/01 at 03:28 (056398)

Gorgeous flowers - and wonderful pictures, Scott. What camera do you use? I am looking for someone to initiate me into the mysteries of digital photography - any tips you - or anyone - can offer will be much appreciated

Scott R on 8/12/01 at 07:14 (056406)

If you want to do pictures for the internet, the only option is the one I just got, the Sony DSC-P30. The only problem being that you need the $50 32MB memory stick in addition to the $300 camera plus $60 more for 8 AA Metal Lithium Rechargebale Batteries and the charger (get these from circuit city but get the 32 MB stick from buy.com). The camera only holds 2 AA's but they get used up quickly. The advertised 2000 pictures is possible only under extremely efficient conditions. Some decent online places may have the camera for as low as $270. If you want to print pictures out on large sheets of quality paper, get the DSC-P50 ($400) or maybe the Kodak 4800 or a newer variant ($500 or so). But wealthier people should consider the Sony CD300 or something like that that has the CD-ROM writer attached to it. The Sony mavica's with 3.5' floppies just don't have enough memory for very many pictures. Keep the LCD screen off to greatly extend battery life, especially when in camera mode. Switch it on only when yuo're ready to take a picture. Even doing this, I like to have 4 sets (8) of the AA batteries on hand.

Before making any purchase, check out the amazing set of pictures and cameras at
http://steves-digicams.com

DON'T LOSE THE ABOVE LINK. EVERYONE WILL NEED IT. IF YOU SPEND $150 A YEAR IN FILM AND DEVELOPMENT, CHUNK THE CAMERA NOW AND GET A GOOD DIGITAL CAMERA AND PRINTER. THE DEPRECIATION IN ELECTRONICS WILL MATCH THE FILM DEVELOPMENT AND YOU'LL GET MORE AND BETTER SELECTED PICTURES SINCE YOU DELETE THE JUNK PICTURES BEFORE THEY ARE PRINTED.

Scott R on 8/12/01 at 08:19 (056410)

3.3 MegaPixel camers still can't get images as good as film for the internet because when you re-size the picture to fit on a page, the quality deteriorates so that you might as well use a 1.3 MegaPixel. The only way to get a digital camera to be as good as film for internet usage is to print the large picture out, then scan it using carefully calculated dots per inch setting so that the scan comes out to the size you want without having to resize it electronically (which causes 'pixel aliasing' which is the source of lost quality). At least I'm having a problem with sharpness unless it's a close-up.

Julie on 8/12/01 at 08:50 (056417)

Thanks a lot, Scott. I've printed these posts out and will digest them. And one of these days I'll make the move.

john h on 8/12/01 at 09:14 (056421)

for a real experience if you like flowers and roses in particular go to
http://members.aol.com/Cindyf2ue/rose3.html

be sure and experience the entire site including poetry and the rose garden.

john h on 8/12/01 at 09:18 (056422)

try this URL as i typed it wrong:
http://members.aol.com/Cindyf2u2/rose3.htm

Brenda G. on 8/12/01 at 10:19 (056430)

Hi! another good site is pcphotoreview.com (Sorry, I'm not computer-literate enough to know how to send a link) It's an excellent site to review all cameras, all sizes, that's the way I chose my Sony Cybershot also. Alot of people shy away from Sony because it uses a 'memory stick' instead of the more common 2 types, but I love my sony. I'd send photos but don't know how either.