Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tape irritating ball of foot

Posted by Glenn X on 8/12/01 at hrmin (056490)

I've been taping (2-strip) a couple of weeks or so and just recently find it irritating the ball of my foot. Lateral pull seems to cause friction, reddening, soreness. Use 1.5 inch standard athletic tape. Anyone have any thoughts on reducing the irritation?

Re: Tape irritating ball of foot

john h on 8/12/01 at 18:55 (056494)

try a different tape glenn and make darn sure when you remove it each night you remove the residue and apply something like aloe. i have no problem with the leuko tape and there are some tapes that are supposed to be less irritating than others.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/12/01 at hrmin (056511)

Switching brands of tape helps because use of one adhesive over an extended period of time may cause sensitization. Even better, use a pre- tape spray--contain skin protectant and make skin tackier for better adhesion. Available at sporting goods stores and/or medical supply.
I use Ortholetic tape by Johnson and Johnson---good quality but I have not compared it to leuko tape.
Ed

Julie on 8/13/01 at 01:18 (056524)

Snap, John. Yes, Glenn, try a different tape. I had no trouble with Leuko tape in the almost-a-year I used it almost every day, but as it isn't easy to find in the States, try the one that Ed mentions: I'm sure it does a good support job if he suggests it.

You could also try varying the technique.You say it's the 'lateral' pull that seems to be causing the irritation, so if you're crossing the two strips over (as in the illustration) I suggest you try applying them straight (from ball to heel, slightly overlapping but not crossed) and see if that helps. That was my method, and I never felt I needed more support than it gave. I was following the illustration in the book's previous incarnation: Scott changed it when he did the revision, probably because he thought it was more supportive.

Perhaps you're pulling the too tight: experiment with the tension. It's a subtle business, getting it right: tight enough to support, not tight enough to cause discomfort.

John's right - make sure you remove the residue completely. Something soothing and healing on the skin afterwards would be a good idea too. Perhaps aloe vera, tea trea cream, vitamin E cream, any good antiseptic cream.

Glenn X on 8/13/01 at hrmin (056628)

Thanks everybody! MOST helpful input.

Went tapeless today (probably not a bad idea after PT this morning). Got Johnson's 'Coach' tape and will try it. Will look for the Ortholetic tape. I've ordered the Leuko tape from GNR. I'll also do a better job of removing adhesive in the evening, chase down some tape spray, and find some nice cream to baby my feet with. Will try crossing the tape too (have been running the strips parallel).

It is so nice to be able to sling a question out onto this message board and get help. Thanks Scott.

john h on 8/14/01 at 10:03 (056692)

glenn: did GNR send you their catalog. if not you should ask for it. it is of course a medical supply outlet for professional use but they have some interesting things for the feet.

Re: Can anyone advise the best way of removing the adhesive?

Helene M on 8/14/01 at 12:39 (056719)

eom

Julie on 8/15/01 at 02:35 (056774)

Helene

I use lighter fluid. Moisten a pad of cotton with it (you need quite a lot of the fluid). If your hands are sticky afterwards, a clean pad and some more lighter fluid will take care of it. The smell isn't nice, but it goes quickly.

Any other methods, anyone? I'd like to know if anything else works, because as you know you can't take flammable materials on planes. When I went to India earlier this year my tin was confiscated and I had to make do with nail polish remover (the non-flammable kind). It didn't work very well, and in the part of south India where I was there was NO lighter fluid to be had, so I struggled with sticky feet every night.

Helene M on 8/15/01 at 10:33 (056788)

Thanks Julie. I'll bet rubbing alcohol would work, but I think it dries out the skin too much.

john h on 8/12/01 at 18:55 (056494)

try a different tape glenn and make darn sure when you remove it each night you remove the residue and apply something like aloe. i have no problem with the leuko tape and there are some tapes that are supposed to be less irritating than others.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/12/01 at hrmin (056511)

Switching brands of tape helps because use of one adhesive over an extended period of time may cause sensitization. Even better, use a pre- tape spray--contain skin protectant and make skin tackier for better adhesion. Available at sporting goods stores and/or medical supply.
I use Ortholetic tape by Johnson and Johnson---good quality but I have not compared it to leuko tape.
Ed

Julie on 8/13/01 at 01:18 (056524)

Snap, John. Yes, Glenn, try a different tape. I had no trouble with Leuko tape in the almost-a-year I used it almost every day, but as it isn't easy to find in the States, try the one that Ed mentions: I'm sure it does a good support job if he suggests it.

You could also try varying the technique.You say it's the 'lateral' pull that seems to be causing the irritation, so if you're crossing the two strips over (as in the illustration) I suggest you try applying them straight (from ball to heel, slightly overlapping but not crossed) and see if that helps. That was my method, and I never felt I needed more support than it gave. I was following the illustration in the book's previous incarnation: Scott changed it when he did the revision, probably because he thought it was more supportive.

Perhaps you're pulling the too tight: experiment with the tension. It's a subtle business, getting it right: tight enough to support, not tight enough to cause discomfort.

John's right - make sure you remove the residue completely. Something soothing and healing on the skin afterwards would be a good idea too. Perhaps aloe vera, tea trea cream, vitamin E cream, any good antiseptic cream.

Glenn X on 8/13/01 at hrmin (056628)

Thanks everybody! MOST helpful input.

Went tapeless today (probably not a bad idea after PT this morning). Got Johnson's 'Coach' tape and will try it. Will look for the Ortholetic tape. I've ordered the Leuko tape from GNR. I'll also do a better job of removing adhesive in the evening, chase down some tape spray, and find some nice cream to baby my feet with. Will try crossing the tape too (have been running the strips parallel).

It is so nice to be able to sling a question out onto this message board and get help. Thanks Scott.

john h on 8/14/01 at 10:03 (056692)

glenn: did GNR send you their catalog. if not you should ask for it. it is of course a medical supply outlet for professional use but they have some interesting things for the feet.

Helene M on 8/14/01 at 12:39 (056719)

eom

Julie on 8/15/01 at 02:35 (056774)

Helene

I use lighter fluid. Moisten a pad of cotton with it (you need quite a lot of the fluid). If your hands are sticky afterwards, a clean pad and some more lighter fluid will take care of it. The smell isn't nice, but it goes quickly.

Any other methods, anyone? I'd like to know if anything else works, because as you know you can't take flammable materials on planes. When I went to India earlier this year my tin was confiscated and I had to make do with nail polish remover (the non-flammable kind). It didn't work very well, and in the part of south India where I was there was NO lighter fluid to be had, so I struggled with sticky feet every night.

Helene M on 8/15/01 at 10:33 (056788)

Thanks Julie. I'll bet rubbing alcohol would work, but I think it dries out the skin too much.