Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Thyroid?

Posted by Isadora on 8/12/01 at hrmin (056504)

I just had a thought (uh-oh). I was wondering to what extent that all of this foot and heel pain could be caused by underactive thyroid problems. Pinched nerves and muscle pains are among the symptoms of a thyroid disorder. The reason that I was wondering this was for the last two months I had have agonizing pain in my feet, especially the left one. It felt like a pinched nerve on the outside of my left heel, and incredible burning and muscle pain. And, get this--the muscle that runs between my heel and toe was twitching. You could see it move, and then the big toe would move. The pain was so bad that couldn't stand for 5 minutes. Only ice helped. The right foot was hurting too, but not as bad.

Anyway, after a lot of surfing and thinking, I came to this conclusion: I had been consuming an increasing amount of soy products. Soy products depress the thryoid gland. All of my foot symptoms were similar to ones that people with underactive thyroid glands suffer. I stopped consuming soy and now I feel much, much better. Cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, also have a similar effect on thyroid function.

Many people in mid-life start to have a general decline in thyroid function anyway, regardless of what they are eating. Look at the people on this board who have these foot problems. The average age is 41, and most are overweight (another symptom of underactive thyroid.) Do you realize that Synthroid is one of the most prescribed drugs in this country? I think that there may be underlying undiagnosed thryoid conditions that are causing some of these foot problems.

Re: Thyroid?

john h on 8/13/01 at 16:43 (056612)

a thyroid test is a very simple blood test isidora. go get one. at my health club the cost is about $15.00. depending on whether you thyroid is over or under producing one of the symptoms can be extreme anxiety.

Kelsey J on 8/13/01 at 18:14 (056630)

Isadora,
If you don't mind, could you tell me a little more about what you learned about the symptoms of an underactive thyroid? I also frequently see the muscle b/t my big toe and heel twitch, and I eat a lot of soy (I'm a vegetarian). However, I am not at all overweight and am relatively young. It never occurred to me that my problem might be anything other than my feet.

john h on 8/13/01 at 16:43 (056612)

a thyroid test is a very simple blood test isidora. go get one. at my health club the cost is about $15.00. depending on whether you thyroid is over or under producing one of the symptoms can be extreme anxiety.

Kelsey J on 8/13/01 at 18:14 (056630)

Isadora,
If you don't mind, could you tell me a little more about what you learned about the symptoms of an underactive thyroid? I also frequently see the muscle b/t my big toe and heel twitch, and I eat a lot of soy (I'm a vegetarian). However, I am not at all overweight and am relatively young. It never occurred to me that my problem might be anything other than my feet.