Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Me, Food, and Pain... new idea

Posted by Beverly on 8/12/01 at 23:19 (056514)

This may not be the most opportune time to bring this up since it seems the weekend brought some heated weight talk, but I had one of those mental 'ah ha' moments this week.

First, let me say I would do very well to loose 20 pounds. Twenty pounds would make me look almost trim. Thirty pounds would actually get me to trim... very trim. I'm 5.5 and I weigh 152 pounds.

Many years ago, I went from 155 to 125 in less than six months. No fad diet was involved. I was having severe reactions to things I was allergic to... (yeast infections). I gave up many, many foods, including anything with sugar, yeast, vinegar, dairy, alcohal, or perservatives in them.
The weight dropped off. I had no trouble sticking to the diet. I came to associate those foods with itching, burning, nightmarish misery. They literally came to symbolize poision to me. I would not touch them for anything.

Although it broadened my palate choices, over the years the health food industry created many delicious subsitutions. The array of yeast-free breads and sugar free delights are a vast sea of goodies today. The weight krept back up a little at a time.

Now, 1.5 years into PF, I've struggled to loose just a little weight over the last year. I've lost a little but no where what I want to loose.

So, Saturday night after a delicious TexMex meal with a friend, I started asking myself, 'Why can't I stick with this diet?'

And my 'ah ha' moment arrived. I had not yet associated food with pain.
Allergic reactions are almost instant... within minutes or a few hours, perhaps you know what hit you. But foot pain isn't so obvious. For one thing, I have many friends who are many, many pounds heavier than I am and their feet are fine.

And from what I've gathered here, sometimes loosing weight helps or cures and sometimes it doesn't. But it certainly seems worth a shot.
The odds feel good.

So, my new plan is to try to associate fattening foods with pain... my foot pain, just like I associate sugar (which I still do not eat) with a miserable yeast infection.

But I still say shoes played a part in my injury. Yes, I did begin an exercise program weighing 20 pounds more than I'd like, but I was also in worn out sneakers which no trainer at the gym bothered to look at or suggest I change despite checking my heart rate and all the other stuff trainers check before starting you on a program. I often wonder, would I have this today, if I'd been told to go get a pair of top brand running shoes with arch supports.

And having a big foot, I have ventured over into the men's department, and I've got to say that even among the same brands, the men's shoes are just plain sturdier.

A final thought. The average woman in America is a size 14. We see so many skinny women on TV, it is easy to think that normal is a size 2.

See ya,
Beverly

Re: FOOD for thought....

Carmen H on 8/13/01 at 11:17 (056562)

Beverly what have you tried for curing these Chronic yeast infections? What cookbooks did you use for your 'diet' and what guidelines did you follow?
'The Yeast Connection' was a great book for me when I went on that diet....the pounds fell off me as well however...I tipped over the 'trim' and fell into the not feeling so good 'thin' so I ended the diet a week early. Proving once again that SKINNY is not always good. That was a KILLER diet and an expensive one at the time as I had to go to an Organic grocery store (Publix and kroger had a VERY small offering in the organic dept.) Thankfully I managed a restaurant (and not so thankfully...that was hard staying away from the Bloomin Onion and Grilled Shrimp on the Barbie...yummm) Anyway!
I sympathize with you....VERY much. I too used to be a chronic sufferer of the dreaded 'Candida'.
Do you take Garlic or acidophilus? Do you eat plenty of yogurt?
Have you tried the 'boric acid' treatment yet? Do you still avoid flour and yeast enriched foods and drink more then plenty of water and avoid baths and all stress at all costs?
I went through this for YEARS and have had mostly complete relief for over 8 years (minor set backs due to antibiotics or wet bathing suits and baths....)so let me know if you think I can offer anything to you for help or support. I KNOW how miserable it is and how hard to deal with.
I hope you get WELL soon for good!!!

Beverly on 8/13/01 at 14:51 (056592)

Carmen,

Sounds like we followed the same diet. Thanks for your kind inquiry. I too used Dr. Crook's 'Candida Cookbook' and his 'Yeast Connection' book. My doctor put me on the diet. I also took Nystatin in a low dose for years.
Yes, it is an expensive diet. And like you, I got very thin. I got down to 122 at my thinest which was very thin for me.

I think what put the pounds back on is that back when I went on this diet in 1992 there were very few yeast free breads and what little was available didn't taste good. But now with so many delicious yeast free breads on the market, I started eating more bread. Also, after years of being on the diet, there were some borderline foods like sugar free jam that once I could not eat but now I can. And the alternative cheeses are just so good today!
It was boring but I was better off when these things weren't out there.

I'm glad you no longer suffer from yeast infections. I don't get them often anymore. It takes something like a hot tub or antibiotics to trigger me, and I'm very grateful for that. So like I said, I'm going to start trying to think of food with my feet the same way I had to rethink food with the yeast infections.

I think I'm someone who needs to be thin, because I have very small bones in my hands and feet. One doctor's theory on why my PF had not gotten better was that I have 'delicate bones' in my feet. Too bad, they aren't a dainty length. I wear a women's 10.5-11!

Thanks for asking,
Beverly

Re: Me, Food, and Pain... new idea

beverly on 8/13/01 at 16:59 (056616)

seems to me anyone with pf is going to gain weight not lose weight. you have double trouble when you can hardly walk much less exercise so i appreciate your problem. if you can associate fattening food with pain you are a better person than me. i associate a beer and a pizza with pure enjoyment. go lose that weight for yourself and not because of the skinny women on television. losing weight just might help reduce your pain. i am still on the 'subway diet' which julie knows nothing about.

john h on 8/13/01 at 17:03 (056618)

beverly: the above post attributed to you was by me. i have had a day that i cannot describe.

Julie on 8/14/01 at 02:34 (056677)

Whew. I was wondering why Beverly was accusing me of knowing nothing about the subway diet. Anyway I DO know about it, so there, John, thanks to a post from you (I think) a long time ago.

But Bev, here's another association idea for you. It's a Weight Watchers ploy. Whenever you feel the urge to eat a food you like but know you oughtn't to eat, you should associate it immediately with a food you dislike intensely and form a mental picture of it. The idea is that the thought and sight of the disliked food will, with repetition, put you off the one you like and eventually eliminate the craving for it. So if you love chocolate creams but hate spinach, visualize spinach whenever you fancy a chocolate cream.

Makes sense to me, but I haven't tried it yet so can't vouch for it.

Re: Boy am I in trouble....

Carmen H on 8/14/01 at 10:54 (056706)

Julie.....what if you like CREAMED SPINACH and CHOCOLATE too? hee hee I would be terrible at the food association thing...maybe I need to start thinking of things that gross me out. Like on 'Fear Factor' where they eat bugs and worms. ugh. do you have that show there?
I dreamed I was running on concrete barefoot last night and when I looked down and realized what I had done I started digging desperately for shoes in my bag....then I woke up.
Boy this will take over your whole life huh?

Beverly on 8/14/01 at 11:57 (056714)

So everytime I crave quacamole and tacos I should picture beets and rubarb!
Hum... Worth a try. One friend of mine says when she's dieting, she pictures whatever she craves as turning into a big glob of fat on her butt.

See ya,
Beverly

Nancy N on 8/14/01 at 12:57 (056721)

In my experience, if you indulge the craving for a while, you'll eventually lose the craving altogether (the food loses its power over you because you know you can have it any time you want it). Just my two cents.

Julie on 8/15/01 at 00:42 (056770)

Like creamed spinach and chocolate too, Carmen? Perhaps try visualizing them as a sort of sandwich, and you have to eat the two together? Hmmm. Or maybe bugs and worms would work better for you.

I tested the theory yesterday at Tesco. Wheeling my trolley past the Pick&Mix confectionery, I tried hard to think of a food I don't like, decided I really did want a few peppermint creams and reached for them. End of experiment.

I like Nancy's theory better. Enjoy the guacamole and tacos, Bev.

Carmen H on 8/13/01 at 11:17 (056562)

Beverly what have you tried for curing these Chronic yeast infections? What cookbooks did you use for your 'diet' and what guidelines did you follow?
'The Yeast Connection' was a great book for me when I went on that diet....the pounds fell off me as well however...I tipped over the 'trim' and fell into the not feeling so good 'thin' so I ended the diet a week early. Proving once again that SKINNY is not always good. That was a KILLER diet and an expensive one at the time as I had to go to an Organic grocery store (Publix and kroger had a VERY small offering in the organic dept.) Thankfully I managed a restaurant (and not so thankfully...that was hard staying away from the Bloomin Onion and Grilled Shrimp on the Barbie...yummm) Anyway!
I sympathize with you....VERY much. I too used to be a chronic sufferer of the dreaded 'Candida'.
Do you take Garlic or acidophilus? Do you eat plenty of yogurt?
Have you tried the 'boric acid' treatment yet? Do you still avoid flour and yeast enriched foods and drink more then plenty of water and avoid baths and all stress at all costs?
I went through this for YEARS and have had mostly complete relief for over 8 years (minor set backs due to antibiotics or wet bathing suits and baths....)so let me know if you think I can offer anything to you for help or support. I KNOW how miserable it is and how hard to deal with.
I hope you get WELL soon for good!!!

Beverly on 8/13/01 at 14:51 (056592)

Carmen,

Sounds like we followed the same diet. Thanks for your kind inquiry. I too used Dr. Crook's 'Candida Cookbook' and his 'Yeast Connection' book. My doctor put me on the diet. I also took Nystatin in a low dose for years.
Yes, it is an expensive diet. And like you, I got very thin. I got down to 122 at my thinest which was very thin for me.

I think what put the pounds back on is that back when I went on this diet in 1992 there were very few yeast free breads and what little was available didn't taste good. But now with so many delicious yeast free breads on the market, I started eating more bread. Also, after years of being on the diet, there were some borderline foods like sugar free jam that once I could not eat but now I can. And the alternative cheeses are just so good today!
It was boring but I was better off when these things weren't out there.

I'm glad you no longer suffer from yeast infections. I don't get them often anymore. It takes something like a hot tub or antibiotics to trigger me, and I'm very grateful for that. So like I said, I'm going to start trying to think of food with my feet the same way I had to rethink food with the yeast infections.

I think I'm someone who needs to be thin, because I have very small bones in my hands and feet. One doctor's theory on why my PF had not gotten better was that I have 'delicate bones' in my feet. Too bad, they aren't a dainty length. I wear a women's 10.5-11!

Thanks for asking,
Beverly

beverly on 8/13/01 at 16:59 (056616)

seems to me anyone with pf is going to gain weight not lose weight. you have double trouble when you can hardly walk much less exercise so i appreciate your problem. if you can associate fattening food with pain you are a better person than me. i associate a beer and a pizza with pure enjoyment. go lose that weight for yourself and not because of the skinny women on television. losing weight just might help reduce your pain. i am still on the 'subway diet' which julie knows nothing about.

john h on 8/13/01 at 17:03 (056618)

beverly: the above post attributed to you was by me. i have had a day that i cannot describe.

Julie on 8/14/01 at 02:34 (056677)

Whew. I was wondering why Beverly was accusing me of knowing nothing about the subway diet. Anyway I DO know about it, so there, John, thanks to a post from you (I think) a long time ago.

But Bev, here's another association idea for you. It's a Weight Watchers ploy. Whenever you feel the urge to eat a food you like but know you oughtn't to eat, you should associate it immediately with a food you dislike intensely and form a mental picture of it. The idea is that the thought and sight of the disliked food will, with repetition, put you off the one you like and eventually eliminate the craving for it. So if you love chocolate creams but hate spinach, visualize spinach whenever you fancy a chocolate cream.

Makes sense to me, but I haven't tried it yet so can't vouch for it.

Carmen H on 8/14/01 at 10:54 (056706)

Julie.....what if you like CREAMED SPINACH and CHOCOLATE too? hee hee I would be terrible at the food association thing...maybe I need to start thinking of things that gross me out. Like on 'Fear Factor' where they eat bugs and worms. ugh. do you have that show there?
I dreamed I was running on concrete barefoot last night and when I looked down and realized what I had done I started digging desperately for shoes in my bag....then I woke up.
Boy this will take over your whole life huh?

Beverly on 8/14/01 at 11:57 (056714)

So everytime I crave quacamole and tacos I should picture beets and rubarb!
Hum... Worth a try. One friend of mine says when she's dieting, she pictures whatever she craves as turning into a big glob of fat on her butt.

See ya,
Beverly

Nancy N on 8/14/01 at 12:57 (056721)

In my experience, if you indulge the craving for a while, you'll eventually lose the craving altogether (the food loses its power over you because you know you can have it any time you want it). Just my two cents.

Julie on 8/15/01 at 00:42 (056770)

Like creamed spinach and chocolate too, Carmen? Perhaps try visualizing them as a sort of sandwich, and you have to eat the two together? Hmmm. Or maybe bugs and worms would work better for you.

I tested the theory yesterday at Tesco. Wheeling my trolley past the Pick&Mix confectionery, I tried hard to think of a food I don't like, decided I really did want a few peppermint creams and reached for them. End of experiment.

I like Nancy's theory better. Enjoy the guacamole and tacos, Bev.