Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot Pain

Posted by A. Vogler on 8/14/01 at 10:16 (056695)

My husband has a lump on the sole of his foot. It has caused him some discomfort in the past but is becoming much worse. He has visited our local physician who told him he thought it could be fibroid tendonitis. I have tried looking this up but can find nothing on the subject. He has been to an orthopedic surgeon who told him he wasn't sure what it was and it was best to leave it alone. Nothing was done at all.
He is now experiencing a great amount of pain. The area affected aches a great deal and he also has throbbing pain. It is also painful to touch.
This occurs when he is on and off of his foot. His job requires him to stand and walk 12 hours a day on concrete. Could this be a factor? Would you have any ideas as to what it could be and what could be done about it?

Re: Foot Pain

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/14/01 at hrmin (056699)

Your husband really needs to see someone who knows feet-- not knowing what a painful growth is does not seem like a good answer. I do not want to speculate without having seen the growth. Is it in the arch area?
Ed

A. Vogler on 8/14/01 at 10:30 (056702)

Yes. The lump is in the middle of the sole of his foot right on the tendon. The doctor he saw also said that if he were to operate it could make the problem worse.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/14/01 at hrmin (056710)

A likely diagnosis is plantar fibromatosis-- a fibrous growth on the plantar fascia. If so, I agree that it should not be treated operatively.

It is very easy to get rid of so there is no reason to suffer with it.
I generally inject the nodules of plantar fibromatosis with triamcinolone acetonide or a combination of triamcinolone acetonide and hyaluronidase (Wydase). The injection causes the lesions to shrink to insignificant size within 3 weeks. Occasionally a second injection is needed if the growths don't get small enough. It is important to numb the bottom of the foot first though.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/14/01 at hrmin (056699)

Your husband really needs to see someone who knows feet-- not knowing what a painful growth is does not seem like a good answer. I do not want to speculate without having seen the growth. Is it in the arch area?
Ed

A. Vogler on 8/14/01 at 10:30 (056702)

Yes. The lump is in the middle of the sole of his foot right on the tendon. The doctor he saw also said that if he were to operate it could make the problem worse.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/14/01 at hrmin (056710)

A likely diagnosis is plantar fibromatosis-- a fibrous growth on the plantar fascia. If so, I agree that it should not be treated operatively.

It is very easy to get rid of so there is no reason to suffer with it.
I generally inject the nodules of plantar fibromatosis with triamcinolone acetonide or a combination of triamcinolone acetonide and hyaluronidase (Wydase). The injection causes the lesions to shrink to insignificant size within 3 weeks. Occasionally a second injection is needed if the growths don't get small enough. It is important to numb the bottom of the foot first though.
Ed