Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

When is it time to build up the arch?

Posted by Beverly on 8/14/01 at 12:05 (056716)

I've had my full length orthodics for several months now. (Soft, I think made of crepe.)
I also have a 3/4 set for orthopedic sandals.

When I first got them, I had a time getting used to the arch support. Now, I am used to them. So, does that mean it's time to try building up the arch a bit? (I have PF/AT/PTT). The orthodics have helped the PTT a great deal, helped the AT somewhat, and helped the PF a little.

Thanks,
Beverly

Re: When is it time to build up the arch?

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/14/01 at 12:31 (056718)

Hi,

The fact that you have no pain and are use to them is a very important indicator to leave the arch alone. have them evaluated in six months and see where you are with them

Re: Not pain-free, just less pain and got used to supports

Beverly on 8/15/01 at 12:47 (056794)

Thanks, Dr. Z,

I'm nowhere near pain-free in the foot or achilles, but I have gotten used to the arch supports. I got used to them, and they have helped the post tibial tendonitis a great deal. There, at the inner ankle I am almost pain-free. My feet and achilles have a good ways to go, but in general, I believe the orthodics have helped. The 3/4 set is a bit firmer and has more arch support than my main set which is full length. The 3/4 set was made that way on the assumption that even orthopedic sandals like Ambulators need more support than athletic shoes. My massage therapist says my ankles are only occassionally puffy in spots now. Before the orthodics, my ankle was puffy at the achilles and inner ankle.
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: When is it time to build up the arch?

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/14/01 at 12:31 (056718)

Hi,

The fact that you have no pain and are use to them is a very important indicator to leave the arch alone. have them evaluated in six months and see where you are with them

Re: Not pain-free, just less pain and got used to supports

Beverly on 8/15/01 at 12:47 (056794)

Thanks, Dr. Z,

I'm nowhere near pain-free in the foot or achilles, but I have gotten used to the arch supports. I got used to them, and they have helped the post tibial tendonitis a great deal. There, at the inner ankle I am almost pain-free. My feet and achilles have a good ways to go, but in general, I believe the orthodics have helped. The 3/4 set is a bit firmer and has more arch support than my main set which is full length. The 3/4 set was made that way on the assumption that even orthopedic sandals like Ambulators need more support than athletic shoes. My massage therapist says my ankles are only occassionally puffy in spots now. Before the orthodics, my ankle was puffy at the achilles and inner ankle.
Thanks,
Beverly