Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot adjustments - chiropractic question

Posted by Helene M on 8/14/01 at 13:20 (056723)

I'd like to repeat BG Cped's question from a few days ago, since that thread for some reason turned into a discussion of overweight. The question was, what are people's opinions on foot adjustments (a chiropractor realigning the foot bones)? It seems to me if back adjustments can be beneficial, why not foot adjustments? I don't believe it is nonsense, but it is also not a cure-all and must be combined with other treatments. Of course, there are some people who don't believe in chiropractic theory, period.

Re: Foot adjustments - chiropractic question

ellen w on 8/14/01 at 13:47 (056727)

Hi Helene,
this is not an answer to your question, but another question -- did you ever do the ART therapy, and if so, did you find it helpful?
ellen

BG CPED on 8/14/01 at 19:13 (056747)

I didnt want that post to sound snotty. My question was more to open debate. While foot adjustment can loosen soft tissue and feel good I question its abilty to re-align bones. Perhaps in a situation of a sublux cuboid maybe. I think a good example would be if you have an over pronated flat foot. If you wore an orthotic for years I have never seen a person 'grow' an arch, foot is still flat. Wouldnt that force being applied for several hours a day over several years not 'manipulate' the bones into proper position?
When I used to help with spinal bracing at my old place we did scoliosis bracing and it was sometimes helpful in reducing curve in spine. These were also children and teens that were still growing. I have never seen an adult foot change or get corrected with orthotics, symtoms yes but not boney alignment. If orthotic therapy for years cant how can several adjustments by hand cause bones to permanently correct?? Any of the Dr have an opinion?

Helene M on 8/15/01 at 10:29 (056787)

Hi Ellen. Yes, I am currently having ART and it is helping me.

Lisa C on 8/16/01 at 03:34 (056873)

My understanding of ART is that it breaks up scar tissue. I have heel spurs but I do not know if I have scar tissue. I have never had foot surgery, but I read a post saying you can have scar tissue w/out ever having surgery. Can ART help anyone with PT/heelspurs? (As much as any one treatment can help everyone with this condition)

ellen w on 8/14/01 at 13:47 (056727)

Hi Helene,
this is not an answer to your question, but another question -- did you ever do the ART therapy, and if so, did you find it helpful?
ellen

BG CPED on 8/14/01 at 19:13 (056747)

I didnt want that post to sound snotty. My question was more to open debate. While foot adjustment can loosen soft tissue and feel good I question its abilty to re-align bones. Perhaps in a situation of a sublux cuboid maybe. I think a good example would be if you have an over pronated flat foot. If you wore an orthotic for years I have never seen a person 'grow' an arch, foot is still flat. Wouldnt that force being applied for several hours a day over several years not 'manipulate' the bones into proper position?
When I used to help with spinal bracing at my old place we did scoliosis bracing and it was sometimes helpful in reducing curve in spine. These were also children and teens that were still growing. I have never seen an adult foot change or get corrected with orthotics, symtoms yes but not boney alignment. If orthotic therapy for years cant how can several adjustments by hand cause bones to permanently correct?? Any of the Dr have an opinion?

Helene M on 8/15/01 at 10:29 (056787)

Hi Ellen. Yes, I am currently having ART and it is helping me.

Lisa C on 8/16/01 at 03:34 (056873)

My understanding of ART is that it breaks up scar tissue. I have heel spurs but I do not know if I have scar tissue. I have never had foot surgery, but I read a post saying you can have scar tissue w/out ever having surgery. Can ART help anyone with PT/heelspurs? (As much as any one treatment can help everyone with this condition)