Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Leave the original sole in or not?

Posted by Carmel on 8/14/01 at hrmin (056728)

I've been wearing my 3/4 length custom orthotics in sneakers for almost two years...do most people have 3/4 or full length orthotics? And which is better? Does it depend on what the diagnosis for the foot is as to what length orthotic to get?

If you have 3/4 length, do you leave the original sole of the shoe in or take it out? I tried to go without it, but my toes felt unprotected.

Thanks.
Carmel

Re: Leave the original sole in or not?

Kelsey J on 8/14/01 at 15:29 (056738)

I wear 3/4 length orthotics, without the original sole. My pod said it is usually better to take the original sole out, but that you can leave it in if it is more comfortable. He also suggested cutting the original sole to start where the orthotics end (or something like that). I haven't tried it, but it seems to make sense.

Richard, C.Ped on 8/16/01 at 16:03 (056918)

I would be best to take it out. There is nothing wrong with Kelsey's suggestion...cutting the old insole.
Richard

Kelsey J on 8/14/01 at 15:29 (056738)

I wear 3/4 length orthotics, without the original sole. My pod said it is usually better to take the original sole out, but that you can leave it in if it is more comfortable. He also suggested cutting the original sole to start where the orthotics end (or something like that). I haven't tried it, but it seems to make sense.

Richard, C.Ped on 8/16/01 at 16:03 (056918)

I would be best to take it out. There is nothing wrong with Kelsey's suggestion...cutting the old insole.
Richard