Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Runner with pf considering surgery

Posted by Scott K on 8/14/01 at 14:22 (056731)

I have had PF in my right heel for about 5 years, which seemed to be caused by running too much. Over the past few years, I have curtailed my running a lot and have tried to heal the problem through splints, orthodics, stretching, cortisone, rest, etc.
Based on this, I now generally walk pain free, but I have nagging pain when I run (not serious but annoying). Running is important to me and I would love to be able to run more than 20 minutes without pain.
I am considering having surgery with the hopes that it fixes the problem, but a lot of the messages here seem to show a lot of very serious risk/harm through surgery.
Given my somewhat 'minor' condition compared to many, is surgery something I should it consider? Do I have a realistic hope of being totally pain-free or am I risking my ability to walk/stand by doing this.
Thanks to all in advance>

Re: Runner with pf considering surgery

Valerie K S on 8/14/01 at 21:56 (056760)

Hi Scott,

I had PF surgery on April 4, 2001 on my right foot. I have received relief from the surgery. During the day at work I am able to walk with little or no pain. In the evening, I still experience pain like I did before surgery. I put ice on my foot in the evenings and usually go to bed with no pain. I am not a runner like yourself, so I have no idea how that would affect your running. My Dr. told me it would take up to one year to really feel a complete difference. I can tell you that my foot is no longer sensitive to the touch, I can tolerate foot massages with a pedicure. That itself is a relief, because you know how us women love our pedicures! I hope you find some relief, it really is a horrible thing to live with.

Valerie

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/15/01 at 14:50 (056809)

Hi,

You are a very excellent candidate for ESWT. Foot surgery is something that does carry the risk of making the foot worse off and the healing time frame of six months or more.

ESWT is a non-invasive procedure that is done in the office without the risks of surgery. We have done over two hunred ESWT procedures with very effective pain relief. If you would like addtitional information we have ESWT coordinators that would be very happy to send you additional information. Just e-mail to heelhelp@bee.net or call 1-856-478-2097

john h on 8/19/01 at 13:22 (057174)

scott K: i was also an addicted runner and would run 6-7 days a week. when my pf showed up i did not quit and like you just backed off until the pain became so severe that my condition became chronic. the best advice i can offer you is to QUIT running until your feet are completely healed. I have had the surgery and in a best case sceniero you can forget running for 9 months to a year. a worst case you will never run again. running is about as bad as it gets for PF. if you have just recently developed the problem your chances for recovery are great but from someone who has been there and done that stop running and stop now. you will read an occasional post about some guy who got back to running rather quickly. those are few and far between and the risk/reward ratio is not worth it.

Valerie K S on 8/14/01 at 21:56 (056760)

Hi Scott,

I had PF surgery on April 4, 2001 on my right foot. I have received relief from the surgery. During the day at work I am able to walk with little or no pain. In the evening, I still experience pain like I did before surgery. I put ice on my foot in the evenings and usually go to bed with no pain. I am not a runner like yourself, so I have no idea how that would affect your running. My Dr. told me it would take up to one year to really feel a complete difference. I can tell you that my foot is no longer sensitive to the touch, I can tolerate foot massages with a pedicure. That itself is a relief, because you know how us women love our pedicures! I hope you find some relief, it really is a horrible thing to live with.

Valerie

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/15/01 at 14:50 (056809)

Hi,

You are a very excellent candidate for ESWT. Foot surgery is something that does carry the risk of making the foot worse off and the healing time frame of six months or more.

ESWT is a non-invasive procedure that is done in the office without the risks of surgery. We have done over two hunred ESWT procedures with very effective pain relief. If you would like addtitional information we have ESWT coordinators that would be very happy to send you additional information. Just e-mail to heelhelp@bee.net or call 1-856-478-2097

john h on 8/19/01 at 13:22 (057174)

scott K: i was also an addicted runner and would run 6-7 days a week. when my pf showed up i did not quit and like you just backed off until the pain became so severe that my condition became chronic. the best advice i can offer you is to QUIT running until your feet are completely healed. I have had the surgery and in a best case sceniero you can forget running for 9 months to a year. a worst case you will never run again. running is about as bad as it gets for PF. if you have just recently developed the problem your chances for recovery are great but from someone who has been there and done that stop running and stop now. you will read an occasional post about some guy who got back to running rather quickly. those are few and far between and the risk/reward ratio is not worth it.