Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Oh Just How Long?

Posted by Michael M on 8/14/01 at hrmin (056746)

Hi group, been awhile since ive posted.
Had my surgery on the right foot on Feb 7th, thought all went OK.
Developed bad scar tissue at the longer incision (the up the ankle one). Tried more cortisone, PT, etc for scar tissue management, to no avail.
Had scar tissue surgery and removal June 22nd.
Now heres the kicker. Went to work light duty during part of April, May and June and sorry to say, it sucked.
Doc said since my nerve is so close to the skin, the scar tissue was a major problem and player in recovery.
Ok, why after scar tissue surgery does it still hurt?
Not everyday, but some days it feels like someone drove a pick thru the bottom of my heel. At times the ankle will get week and seems to want to roll. Im using a ankle support now.
Ok, my major questions, is this as good as it gets?
Can a person function normally again at their regular job? Six flights of stairs seem to bug me alot lately, esp with hot weather and humidity.
If that makes any sense.
Tried Celebrex...not much relief. Now trying Naprosyn EC 500mg 2X daily.
Stretching still brings back feelings of tearing in the bottom of the heel area at times.
Fall is approaching and Good God I want to go hiking and bike riding sooooooooo bad.
Mine stemmed maybe not sure though, from a bad break in the foot four years ago, when the orthopedic doc I seen at the time told me to hobble around on the foot for a few days - AFTER I broke it.
Another doc some days later looked at the same xray, and well, I cant write here what he said :)
Just curious if this is something maybe after a bad break, misdiagnosis, etc I may have to live with some discomfort?
Thanks for letting me ramble some here.
Mike

Re: Oh Just How Long?

DENNIS on 8/16/01 at 17:12 (056931)

HELLO, AGAIN. DON'T KNOW IF YOU REMEMBER ME OR NOT, BUT WE BOTH HAD THE TTS RELEASE ON THE SAME DAY. MY SITUATION IS NOT MUCH DIFFERENT THAN YOURS. 'IS THIS AS GOOD AS IT GETS?'. AM REGRESSING. TOLERANCE FOR EVEN SITTING HAS DIMINISHED. LAZY-BOY THAT USED TO OFFER RELIEF A FEW MONTHS AGO DOES NOT DO SO ANY MORE. ONLY RELIEF IS IN BED, GO TO BED AT 8 OR 9 AT NIGHT AND STAY THERE UNTIL 9 OR SO NEXT A.M. TRIED NEURONTIN (AT LEAST THE LAST ONE I TRIED) TOOK 300MG 6 TIMES PER DAY AND NO HELP. AM AT THE END OF MY ROPE , SO TO SPEAK. IF MISERY LOVES COMPANY, YOU AND I ARE COMPANY TO EACH OTHER.

DENNIS on 8/16/01 at 17:15 (056933)

BY THE WAY, IF YOU HAD TO DO THE SURGERY ALL OVER AGAIN, WOULD YOU? I FELT AT THE TIME, 'NOTHING VENTURED, NOTHING GAINED'. I STILL WOULD DO IT RATHER THAN WONDERING 'WHAT IF'.

Mike on 8/16/01 at hrmin (056941)

Dennis

Would I go thru it again?
Truthfully I would say yes. The pain I had at the time of surgery, getting up in the morning and not being able to walk on my right foot, sitting and then trying to walk with the same stabbing pain in the right foot... That has GONE.
The pain I am having now, sorry to say, is along the incision it is very, and I mean very, tender to the touch. So much so, that even shoes will cause an almost electrical shock type of pain.
Having repaired computers for a living, running cables and doing minor electrical work, I know what a electrical shock feels like, and this is the same only concentrated in the right ankle and foot.
The other problem is after sitting, esp as you say in my recliner, the dam thing will go numb when I go to stand up.
What the feeling of getting a pick stuck in your heel comes from I have no idea. But it hurts to say the least.
The doc says complete healing takes time. Well, I guess thats one thing I have is time.
Although steps, ladders and walking are NOT agreeing with me right now although I thought they would.
Also the sad part is, my employer is losing patience REAL FAST.
Keep in touch and we can compare notes and stories.

Best regards,
Mike

DENNIS on 8/16/01 at 17:12 (056931)

HELLO, AGAIN. DON'T KNOW IF YOU REMEMBER ME OR NOT, BUT WE BOTH HAD THE TTS RELEASE ON THE SAME DAY. MY SITUATION IS NOT MUCH DIFFERENT THAN YOURS. 'IS THIS AS GOOD AS IT GETS?'. AM REGRESSING. TOLERANCE FOR EVEN SITTING HAS DIMINISHED. LAZY-BOY THAT USED TO OFFER RELIEF A FEW MONTHS AGO DOES NOT DO SO ANY MORE. ONLY RELIEF IS IN BED, GO TO BED AT 8 OR 9 AT NIGHT AND STAY THERE UNTIL 9 OR SO NEXT A.M. TRIED NEURONTIN (AT LEAST THE LAST ONE I TRIED) TOOK 300MG 6 TIMES PER DAY AND NO HELP. AM AT THE END OF MY ROPE , SO TO SPEAK. IF MISERY LOVES COMPANY, YOU AND I ARE COMPANY TO EACH OTHER.

DENNIS on 8/16/01 at 17:15 (056933)

BY THE WAY, IF YOU HAD TO DO THE SURGERY ALL OVER AGAIN, WOULD YOU? I FELT AT THE TIME, 'NOTHING VENTURED, NOTHING GAINED'. I STILL WOULD DO IT RATHER THAN WONDERING 'WHAT IF'.

Mike on 8/16/01 at hrmin (056941)

Dennis

Would I go thru it again?
Truthfully I would say yes. The pain I had at the time of surgery, getting up in the morning and not being able to walk on my right foot, sitting and then trying to walk with the same stabbing pain in the right foot... That has GONE.
The pain I am having now, sorry to say, is along the incision it is very, and I mean very, tender to the touch. So much so, that even shoes will cause an almost electrical shock type of pain.
Having repaired computers for a living, running cables and doing minor electrical work, I know what a electrical shock feels like, and this is the same only concentrated in the right ankle and foot.
The other problem is after sitting, esp as you say in my recliner, the dam thing will go numb when I go to stand up.
What the feeling of getting a pick stuck in your heel comes from I have no idea. But it hurts to say the least.
The doc says complete healing takes time. Well, I guess thats one thing I have is time.
Although steps, ladders and walking are NOT agreeing with me right now although I thought they would.
Also the sad part is, my employer is losing patience REAL FAST.
Keep in touch and we can compare notes and stories.

Best regards,
Mike