Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How many cortozone shots?

Posted by Gwen B on 8/14/01 at 23:25 (056765)

Hi all,
Just went out today and bought my first pair of Berks. We'll see how they go. But another question, how many shots of cortozone are allowed? A runner friend of mine said 3 total and no more. He said it can cause more tissue dammage if too many are given. My family prac. Dr said that it wasn't so. And he gave me a shot last week. (It only lasted a few days!) When I first injured my foot 4yrs ago I recieved 3 shots in one yr.(along with PT and nightsplints) But now that my pain has reaccured, can I cont to have more shots? And over how much time??? Next week I will be seeing my Pod. Wish me luck!

Re: How many cortozone shots?

JeanB on 8/15/01 at hrmin (056856)

Cortisone has a tendency to destroy fat--I had three cortisone shots in different parts of my heel and it disintegrated my fat pad under the calcaneous. That made my heel pain even worse. I have seen three podiatrists, one said three was the limit and another said three in a 12 month period of time was the limit. The cortisone is simply reducing inflammation--I personally prefer Vioxx.

PaulaP on 8/18/01 at 10:38 (057082)

Have had cortisone shots twice, each time the pain was relieved for 3-4 months. My doctor, who is an Opthopadic Surgeon, has also prescribed Vioxx to be used as needed and feels that streching the tendons several times a day will make a difference. If, or when the pain returns, the next step will be a brace to be worn at night. Surgery will be the last resort, kind of surprised me since he is a surgeon.

JeanB on 8/15/01 at hrmin (056856)

Cortisone has a tendency to destroy fat--I had three cortisone shots in different parts of my heel and it disintegrated my fat pad under the calcaneous. That made my heel pain even worse. I have seen three podiatrists, one said three was the limit and another said three in a 12 month period of time was the limit. The cortisone is simply reducing inflammation--I personally prefer Vioxx.

PaulaP on 8/18/01 at 10:38 (057082)

Have had cortisone shots twice, each time the pain was relieved for 3-4 months. My doctor, who is an Opthopadic Surgeon, has also prescribed Vioxx to be used as needed and feels that streching the tendons several times a day will make a difference. If, or when the pain returns, the next step will be a brace to be worn at night. Surgery will be the last resort, kind of surprised me since he is a surgeon.