Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

six months ago i was desperate.

Posted by paula on 8/15/01 at hrmin (056812)

now i'm almost hopeless. i have pf and tendonosis too but the posterior tibial tendon dysfuncion is the thing that's keeping me in wheelchair and horrible pain. so in desperation i am actually calling doctors around the country who's articles and postings i found on the internet., just talked to rue tikker in napa calif. as far as i could tell he does some sort of osteopathic treatment to feet and he feels that if i came for two weeks or so he could manipulate feet and help me. anyone ever heard of this, of him? i also ask everyone i talk to if they know of a great podiatrist or foot doctor in atlanta or southeast, so i'll ask it here too. ?(someone here once suggested a doc and i would love to hear from her again also) Ive even been to mayo clinic. way overrated in my opinion. for an entire year i have been undertreated, wrongly treated, mistreated and everything but treated. unbelievable that i sit here in a wheel chair with two ace bandages on my feet and this is the state of the art medical help for me so far. I do have a great physical therapist. now i need a great doctor.

Re: Where are you?

Carmen H on 8/15/01 at 16:28 (056819)

Are you in the Atlanta area? If so what part...if you live here you know what I mean. Marietta, Roswell, Alphretta, Buford, etc etc.

Re: six months ago i was desperate.

Laurie R on 8/15/01 at 16:39 (056820)

Dear Paula ,
I don't think I have the answers you are looking for .But I can offer you my support . I know you want a good doctor .. It seems to me you have done your homework and if you are willing to go anywhere ,I'm sure there has to be a great doctor out here somewhere.

Now have you been to pain management yet??That is my next step in treatment. I am waiting for them to call me to set up the appointment.. Have you asked Dr .Z for a good doctor in your area??

How long have you had PF for ?? Two years ? I also have PF and tenosynivitis in my FHL tendon ... I like you am in pain all the time . For me the pain can be worse when I am off my feet. It is not only pain ,it is everything else that goes with it . I get anxiety and depression as well. I am hoping to get treated for all of it . I am feeling very positive today about PM. At first I thought no way I am not going .. From my good friends here and others I thought long and hard about it and think it will be good for me. Now they also think I have RSD in my foot. I will tell you it all started out with PF .... I have been off work now for 2 years .I never thought it would be this way when I first hurt my foot. But it is so I need to deal with it...

My heart goes out to you Paula...

Laurie R

Lynda S on 8/15/01 at 17:02 (056823)

Dear Laurie:

I have had PF for over 9 years! But I have learned to deal with it instead of it managing my life finally. I tried everything, several pods, orthos, orthotics, 4 cortisone shots, surgery twice. I was to say the least very frustrated. My original pod. suggested trying Amitriptyline which he said helped his diabetic patients who had nerve pain in their feet. I said I'd give it a try. It was the only thing that helped in the least. Then my family doctor suggested a pain management course to go along with this; at first I was reluctant like you. They managed my medication regimen, so I am now taking 150 mg. of Nortriptyline and 300 mg of Neurontin at night. I also wear Birkenstocks exclusively. Between the two of them and some of the ideas learned in the pain management program I am able to take back my life from this horrid process. I am now in the middle of the Jade Balm trial and that is also helping me. Please keep me informed of what you think about it and if it helps. We all have to find what works the best for us.
Good Luck,
Lynda S

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/15/01 at 19:26 (056836)

Hi,

Bracing and or repair of the posterior tibial is an option. Has this ever been discussed with you. In Atlanta there is Peachtree Podiatry Group

Re: six months ago i was desperate. re Lynda

Laurie R on 8/15/01 at 20:14 (056843)

Hi Lynda ,
Wow how nice of you to pos tto me about pain management. I will not stop till I find something that will help me . It has been a long road so far and I am sure it will get longer ,but I am trying to stay positive . Which can get hard at times. I have other problems besides PF ,and when everything is going on at one time ,that is when I feel out of control.

I am so happy to hear that PM has helped you ... That is wonderful . I hope to post a message just like yours someday and maybe it will help someone else like yours had helped me . I really appreciate it .

I am looking forward to going . Like I said at first I was not . I will keep you informed on my PM.

Thanks again for your kind and wonderful post...

Laurie R

paula on 8/15/01 at hrmin (056845)

I would love to try bracing. I would give both eye teeth for bracing. Dr z do you also suggest richie brace or do you have other braces i can look into as well. this has gone on so long i can't remember if peachtree pod was one of em that i consulted with at the beginning over a year ago. i hope not. because if i mentioned internets and richie braces and mueller orthoses or anything at all that showed i researched anything all docs i saw got very annoyed or angry. it took 8 months in a wheelchair to even get a diagnosis of pttd. and it looks like it will take at least that long to get some treatment. is this a rare thing or what? i'll contact peachtree pods. thanks for recommendation. I really would like a custom orhtosis that attaches to an ankle support. seems like it wouldn't be so impossible to arrange. If any other docs or folks want to suggest other docs go ahead. seems like every 40 medical professionals yeilds one who has a clue about this pttd monster. (saw endless amounts of foot and ankle surgeons who insisted i did not have pttd. and it took about 6 pods till one figured it out. sigh.

Re: i live near decatur ga., carmen

paula on 8/15/01 at hrmin (056846)

where are you?

Re: I'm in Marietta

Carmen H on 8/16/01 at 09:11 (056882)

I live in Marietta....you're not far from me are ya? Where do you work?
How are you feeling today?
I am seeing Dr. Bouchard in Roswell....I have only been to him once so far. I go back next week for Marcaine shots. Do you want me to give you his number? He did spend time with me and answered my questions and asked if I had any more questions before I left. He said 'I can help you with four simple steps.....Marcaine shots are necessary to start the healing process.' Marcaine shots...ouch. But I'll deal with it at this point. Which is more then I have had ANYone say to me thus far. So....
I have been documenting my pain since this started and I take a print out to every doc I see and let them review it before coming into the office so they are familar with what I have tried and what I have taken so far. I HIGHLY recommend this to anyone just diagnosed with PF or even someone who can remember how this all started etc...
Let me know if I can help you. Send me an email if you like and I'll call you with the number.
carmenfh@worldnet.att.net

Re: six months ago i was desperate. Paula

John h on 8/16/01 at 09:26 (056885)

Paula: we probably cannot relieve your pain but maybe can point you in the right direction. Compassion and caring is one of the great healers in life. You will find that here and you will find people saying a little prayer for you from thousands of miles away which you will never be aware off and you can count me as one of them. In time this shall past. believe it.

BrianG on 8/16/01 at 09:48 (056889)

Hi Paula,

A good web site to check out for pain management is http://www.pain.com
I have others, more detailed, if your interested. Pain management is the only reason I am still able to work and contribute to society. Good luck

BCG

Re: six months ago i was desperate. re Brian

Laurie R on 8/16/01 at 12:06 (056900)

Hello Brian,
I have been to pain.com ,very good site. You said you have other sites.If you don't mind can list them here?? I will be starting PM and I like to get as much info as I can...Thank you ,Laurie R

BrianG on 8/16/01 at hrmin (056917)

Hi Laurie,

Because pain management is not always accepted by everyone, I really don't feel comfertable posting more than this one site. If you drop me an e-mail, I'll give you a couple more sites, and probably the best chronic pain message board on the Net. There is some great information out there, and I'll save you the time of looking it up. Just remember, it's a big commitment, but can be the difference between agony and getting on with your life again.

BCG

Laurie R on 8/16/01 at 17:03 (056929)

Hello Brian, Thank you so much ,I will email you now.I do understand what you are saying. Last night I read everything I could read about pain management.... Thanks again ,Laurie R

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/20/01 at hrmin (057363)

I know Dr. Rue Tikker very well--please read my post from last week on him.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/20/01 at 21:34 (057364)

Treatments... message board, 8/15 under chiropractic discussion--re: my discussion of foot manipulation
Ed

Re: Where are you?

Carmen H on 8/15/01 at 16:28 (056819)

Are you in the Atlanta area? If so what part...if you live here you know what I mean. Marietta, Roswell, Alphretta, Buford, etc etc.

Laurie R on 8/15/01 at 16:39 (056820)

Dear Paula ,
I don't think I have the answers you are looking for .But I can offer you my support . I know you want a good doctor .. It seems to me you have done your homework and if you are willing to go anywhere ,I'm sure there has to be a great doctor out here somewhere.

Now have you been to pain management yet??That is my next step in treatment. I am waiting for them to call me to set up the appointment.. Have you asked Dr .Z for a good doctor in your area??

How long have you had PF for ?? Two years ? I also have PF and tenosynivitis in my FHL tendon ... I like you am in pain all the time . For me the pain can be worse when I am off my feet. It is not only pain ,it is everything else that goes with it . I get anxiety and depression as well. I am hoping to get treated for all of it . I am feeling very positive today about PM. At first I thought no way I am not going .. From my good friends here and others I thought long and hard about it and think it will be good for me. Now they also think I have RSD in my foot. I will tell you it all started out with PF .... I have been off work now for 2 years .I never thought it would be this way when I first hurt my foot. But it is so I need to deal with it...

My heart goes out to you Paula...

Laurie R

Lynda S on 8/15/01 at 17:02 (056823)

Dear Laurie:

I have had PF for over 9 years! But I have learned to deal with it instead of it managing my life finally. I tried everything, several pods, orthos, orthotics, 4 cortisone shots, surgery twice. I was to say the least very frustrated. My original pod. suggested trying Amitriptyline which he said helped his diabetic patients who had nerve pain in their feet. I said I'd give it a try. It was the only thing that helped in the least. Then my family doctor suggested a pain management course to go along with this; at first I was reluctant like you. They managed my medication regimen, so I am now taking 150 mg. of Nortriptyline and 300 mg of Neurontin at night. I also wear Birkenstocks exclusively. Between the two of them and some of the ideas learned in the pain management program I am able to take back my life from this horrid process. I am now in the middle of the Jade Balm trial and that is also helping me. Please keep me informed of what you think about it and if it helps. We all have to find what works the best for us.
Good Luck,
Lynda S

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/15/01 at 19:26 (056836)

Hi,

Bracing and or repair of the posterior tibial is an option. Has this ever been discussed with you. In Atlanta there is Peachtree Podiatry Group

Re: six months ago i was desperate. re Lynda

Laurie R on 8/15/01 at 20:14 (056843)

Hi Lynda ,
Wow how nice of you to pos tto me about pain management. I will not stop till I find something that will help me . It has been a long road so far and I am sure it will get longer ,but I am trying to stay positive . Which can get hard at times. I have other problems besides PF ,and when everything is going on at one time ,that is when I feel out of control.

I am so happy to hear that PM has helped you ... That is wonderful . I hope to post a message just like yours someday and maybe it will help someone else like yours had helped me . I really appreciate it .

I am looking forward to going . Like I said at first I was not . I will keep you informed on my PM.

Thanks again for your kind and wonderful post...

Laurie R

paula on 8/15/01 at hrmin (056845)

I would love to try bracing. I would give both eye teeth for bracing. Dr z do you also suggest richie brace or do you have other braces i can look into as well. this has gone on so long i can't remember if peachtree pod was one of em that i consulted with at the beginning over a year ago. i hope not. because if i mentioned internets and richie braces and mueller orthoses or anything at all that showed i researched anything all docs i saw got very annoyed or angry. it took 8 months in a wheelchair to even get a diagnosis of pttd. and it looks like it will take at least that long to get some treatment. is this a rare thing or what? i'll contact peachtree pods. thanks for recommendation. I really would like a custom orhtosis that attaches to an ankle support. seems like it wouldn't be so impossible to arrange. If any other docs or folks want to suggest other docs go ahead. seems like every 40 medical professionals yeilds one who has a clue about this pttd monster. (saw endless amounts of foot and ankle surgeons who insisted i did not have pttd. and it took about 6 pods till one figured it out. sigh.

Re: i live near decatur ga., carmen

paula on 8/15/01 at hrmin (056846)

where are you?

Re: I'm in Marietta

Carmen H on 8/16/01 at 09:11 (056882)

I live in Marietta....you're not far from me are ya? Where do you work?
How are you feeling today?
I am seeing Dr. Bouchard in Roswell....I have only been to him once so far. I go back next week for Marcaine shots. Do you want me to give you his number? He did spend time with me and answered my questions and asked if I had any more questions before I left. He said 'I can help you with four simple steps.....Marcaine shots are necessary to start the healing process.' Marcaine shots...ouch. But I'll deal with it at this point. Which is more then I have had ANYone say to me thus far. So....
I have been documenting my pain since this started and I take a print out to every doc I see and let them review it before coming into the office so they are familar with what I have tried and what I have taken so far. I HIGHLY recommend this to anyone just diagnosed with PF or even someone who can remember how this all started etc...
Let me know if I can help you. Send me an email if you like and I'll call you with the number.
carmenfh@worldnet.att.net

Re: six months ago i was desperate. Paula

John h on 8/16/01 at 09:26 (056885)

Paula: we probably cannot relieve your pain but maybe can point you in the right direction. Compassion and caring is one of the great healers in life. You will find that here and you will find people saying a little prayer for you from thousands of miles away which you will never be aware off and you can count me as one of them. In time this shall past. believe it.

BrianG on 8/16/01 at 09:48 (056889)

Hi Paula,

A good web site to check out for pain management is http://www.pain.com
I have others, more detailed, if your interested. Pain management is the only reason I am still able to work and contribute to society. Good luck

BCG

Laurie R on 8/16/01 at 12:06 (056900)

Hello Brian,
I have been to pain.com ,very good site. You said you have other sites.If you don't mind can list them here?? I will be starting PM and I like to get as much info as I can...Thank you ,Laurie R

BrianG on 8/16/01 at hrmin (056917)

Hi Laurie,

Because pain management is not always accepted by everyone, I really don't feel comfertable posting more than this one site. If you drop me an e-mail, I'll give you a couple more sites, and probably the best chronic pain message board on the Net. There is some great information out there, and I'll save you the time of looking it up. Just remember, it's a big commitment, but can be the difference between agony and getting on with your life again.

BCG

Laurie R on 8/16/01 at 17:03 (056929)

Hello Brian, Thank you so much ,I will email you now.I do understand what you are saying. Last night I read everything I could read about pain management.... Thanks again ,Laurie R

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/20/01 at hrmin (057363)

I know Dr. Rue Tikker very well--please read my post from last week on him.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/20/01 at 21:34 (057364)

Treatments... message board, 8/15 under chiropractic discussion--re: my discussion of foot manipulation
Ed