Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Running again!

Posted by Greg on 8/15/01 at 20:00 (056842)

I was and guess to a small degree still am a sufferer. I used to run quite a bit and stopped to a number of years. Upon my renewed intrest in running I immediately purchased the latest 'Air' nike product and hit the streets, only to discover, especially in the morning the stress and pain in my feet. I continued to ingnore the pain and continued running. Eventually it wasn't worth it. Running or not, my feet ached to no end all the time and it became a chore to find a shoe that helped resolve my problem. I assume that the nike shoe was to soft for my foot and had no arch support, plus my sudden jump back into running, probably attributed to my problem. At any rate I started to wear firm hiking boots. These really seemed to give me the best relief. I have made expensive shoe choices in a variety of styles of tennis shoes, boots, dress shoes etc. without much success, except the firm hiking shoes. After several more years laid off and pain much diminished, I decided this past Jan 1st to take 'baby' steps to get back into running. I started running only two blocks a week. I am now up to 3 miles and that suits me fine. I get out of my running shoes asap after running and go for the Birkenstocks. They above anything else have given me the best results. I use their boot inserts in all my shoes. I'm not cured but I don't suffer even close to how I used to. I am very conscience of how I plant my feet when I run, and look for a firm running shoe.

Re: Running again!

Sandy Hendry on 8/15/01 at 23:08 (056858)

Hi, how long a lay off did you have from running? Do you have to wear custom orthotics to do running? Does running 5K make matters a lot worse? I've been off running for about 6 months and I stopped experimenting with orthotics after it gave me bad ankle pain. I still have PF that gets worse with running and really would like to be able to do races of no more than 5K some time next year (I used to do marathons). Your tips and experience would be a help. Thanks, Sandy

Re: Running again!

Sandy Hendry on 8/15/01 at 23:08 (056858)

Hi, how long a lay off did you have from running? Do you have to wear custom orthotics to do running? Does running 5K make matters a lot worse? I've been off running for about 6 months and I stopped experimenting with orthotics after it gave me bad ankle pain. I still have PF that gets worse with running and really would like to be able to do races of no more than 5K some time next year (I used to do marathons). Your tips and experience would be a help. Thanks, Sandy