Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel spur

Posted by Celine on 8/15/01 at 21:02 (056849)

hello and thanks for any help anyone can offer. i have a question about heel spurs; if one is suffering from plantar fascitis and has a surgical procedure to fix the problem and there is still heel pain can the pain be a result of the spur itself? i have heard mention of heel spur syndrome and am wondering if this is what it is. thanks again.

Re: heel spur

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/16/01 at 12:16 (056905)

You can still have pain at the junction of where the plantar fasica attachs to the bottom of the heel. It is my opinon that if you are going to cut the fascia you need to removal the calification due the area being poor healing tissue

Celine on 8/17/01 at 10:40 (056979)

Thank you for responding Dr. Zuckerman. So you are saying that you would do what is called an 'open' PF and also remove the spur? Why is it that so many doctors don't remove the spur? I keep hearing that over and over from people.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/17/01 at 17:17 (057025)

I do the miminial incision heel spur procedure . I can remove both the spur and release some of the pf at the same time. Early in my podiatry life I just cut the fasia . Had some patients that still had pain so went back and did the spur. The pain was gone. I have found that there is no difference in healing with including the spur removal

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/16/01 at 12:16 (056905)

You can still have pain at the junction of where the plantar fasica attachs to the bottom of the heel. It is my opinon that if you are going to cut the fascia you need to removal the calification due the area being poor healing tissue

Celine on 8/17/01 at 10:40 (056979)

Thank you for responding Dr. Zuckerman. So you are saying that you would do what is called an 'open' PF and also remove the spur? Why is it that so many doctors don't remove the spur? I keep hearing that over and over from people.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/17/01 at 17:17 (057025)

I do the miminial incision heel spur procedure . I can remove both the spur and release some of the pf at the same time. Early in my podiatry life I just cut the fasia . Had some patients that still had pain so went back and did the spur. The pain was gone. I have found that there is no difference in healing with including the spur removal