Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

thickened fascia

Posted by Mary M. on 8/16/01 at 08:18 (056879)

I had ESWT in May'01 W/ very little improvement in my PF. Since then, I stretch regularly, ice the foot and am very inactive. A recent MRI shows tendonitis and a thickening of the fascia. The doc says there is nothing else he can do for me. I suggested PT and he agreed to that, plus he gave me new heel cups. Can you explain exactly how thickening of the fascia impacts PF. And do you think PT will be helpful to me. I really appreciate any info you can share. Sincerely, Mary M.

Re: thickened fascia

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/16/01 at 16:20 (056924)

Tell us more about the ESWT treatment. Is the pain at the insertion . How many treatments have you had. What where and when is your heel pain.

Mary M. on 8/16/01 at 17:31 (056935)

Thanks for the response, Dr. Z. I had 1 treatment w/ the Ossatron w/ very little improvement. That was in May. I can't discuss a 2nd treatment cuz the insurance will not pay up ($4,500) although they originally said they would. Anyway, my pain is mostly on the outside and back edges of my right heel. The amt. of discomfort is directly related to my activity level. I I have not been active since Dec.'00. I long to return to tennis and walking for fitness. I am putting lots of hope in the PT I start next week. Thanks again!! Mary M.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/16/01 at 18:07 (056938)

Let see this may be the peroneal brevis tendon . this is the tendon that runs on the outside of the foot.

Very common for problem with this due to compensation from the inside band of the pf

Stretching Physical therapy can help alot.

If this is the lateral band of the pf then ESWT can help this out also.

Talk to healthronic maybe they will reduce or help you .

See if you can get this done with straight local and no anesthesia department fee. This can be worked out.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/16/01 at 16:20 (056924)

Tell us more about the ESWT treatment. Is the pain at the insertion . How many treatments have you had. What where and when is your heel pain.

Mary M. on 8/16/01 at 17:31 (056935)

Thanks for the response, Dr. Z. I had 1 treatment w/ the Ossatron w/ very little improvement. That was in May. I can't discuss a 2nd treatment cuz the insurance will not pay up ($4,500) although they originally said they would. Anyway, my pain is mostly on the outside and back edges of my right heel. The amt. of discomfort is directly related to my activity level. I I have not been active since Dec.'00. I long to return to tennis and walking for fitness. I am putting lots of hope in the PT I start next week. Thanks again!! Mary M.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/16/01 at 18:07 (056938)

Let see this may be the peroneal brevis tendon . this is the tendon that runs on the outside of the foot.

Very common for problem with this due to compensation from the inside band of the pf

Stretching Physical therapy can help alot.

If this is the lateral band of the pf then ESWT can help this out also.

Talk to healthronic maybe they will reduce or help you .

See if you can get this done with straight local and no anesthesia department fee. This can be worked out.