Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

2nd opinion from pod about still having pain after 1 yr

Posted by linda A on 8/16/01 at hrmin (056881)

my pod. thought it would be better to get a second opinion , because he did not have any more options left for me . the new pod said my pod has done everything from p.t. , exercise, inj , new orthothics different from the first , anti-inflammatory pills , cast tapping and finally the tens unit . the new pod says it is now condition called 'chronic pain syndrome ' . what is involved is the tendons, ligaments , and fascia and that more surgery would probably make the condition worse . he suggested going to a pain mgmt clinic to find the right combo of anti-deppresants and anti-inflammatory to ease the pain , maybe also a epidural , and thinks i need counseling because of the depression that i am feeling for not being able to enjoy life . my old pod has order a third orthotics that will be made out of plastic to control the movement of the foot . my question to the docs ; it this all that is left to do pain mgmt ? i will refresh your memory i had open p.f. and tarsal tunnel done almost a yr ago aug 2000 and still have pain along the side of arch and the burning pulling sensation under the foot on lateral side from heel to toes . have any readers been thru pain mgmt for chronic pain syndrome ?

Re: Headed there soon I'm afraid

Carmen on 8/16/01 at 09:24 (056884)

Hi Linda~

I am in the process of ruling out Fibromyalgia as part of my PF problem so I am headed that way. I say I am willingto try ANYthing to get some of my life back. TRY it and maybe it will open you up to other things that will help. This is a 'life-thief' only if we let it be.

Re: 2nd opinion from pod about still having pain after 1 yr

JeanB on 8/16/01 at hrmin (056957)

I, too, was told by my family physician that I was now a chronic pain patient after two years of battling heel pain. He prescribed a low dosage of an older tranquilizer. I took it three days--it made me sooooo dizzy that I could hardly walk to bathroom during the night. Forget that! I am NOT a chronic pain patient. I will find a way to beat this disorder! The best solution I have found is Vioxx--it does stop the pain. I also bought a two person hydrotherapy spa by Coleman. I would get in it for 30 minutes each morning, then do my stretching, then get ready for work. It was the only way I made it through the day this past spring. I have since retired (I was a teacher). I have a great physical therapist who is not giving up on me. I also was advised to seek help from a professor at a local university who made SOFT orthotics for me which conform to my feet. He says the latest advice for PF is to have the softest arch supports possible in CONSTANT contact with the footbed. That pretty much eliminates sandals. He constructed these soft orthotics for me and they have definitely enabled me to heal. Although I am not yet pain free, I actually have many hours of relief thanks to the Vioxx and the soft othotics.

Re: would like a pod to answer this question .

linda A on 8/17/01 at hrmin (057062)

do we just give up and deal strictly w/ the pain . i don't feel like doing much after working 8 hrs on my feet . feet throbb too much .

Re: Headed there soon I'm afraid

Carmen on 8/16/01 at 09:24 (056884)

Hi Linda~

I am in the process of ruling out Fibromyalgia as part of my PF problem so I am headed that way. I say I am willingto try ANYthing to get some of my life back. TRY it and maybe it will open you up to other things that will help. This is a 'life-thief' only if we let it be.

Re: 2nd opinion from pod about still having pain after 1 yr

JeanB on 8/16/01 at hrmin (056957)

I, too, was told by my family physician that I was now a chronic pain patient after two years of battling heel pain. He prescribed a low dosage of an older tranquilizer. I took it three days--it made me sooooo dizzy that I could hardly walk to bathroom during the night. Forget that! I am NOT a chronic pain patient. I will find a way to beat this disorder! The best solution I have found is Vioxx--it does stop the pain. I also bought a two person hydrotherapy spa by Coleman. I would get in it for 30 minutes each morning, then do my stretching, then get ready for work. It was the only way I made it through the day this past spring. I have since retired (I was a teacher). I have a great physical therapist who is not giving up on me. I also was advised to seek help from a professor at a local university who made SOFT orthotics for me which conform to my feet. He says the latest advice for PF is to have the softest arch supports possible in CONSTANT contact with the footbed. That pretty much eliminates sandals. He constructed these soft orthotics for me and they have definitely enabled me to heal. Although I am not yet pain free, I actually have many hours of relief thanks to the Vioxx and the soft othotics.

Re: would like a pod to answer this question .

linda A on 8/17/01 at hrmin (057062)

do we just give up and deal strictly w/ the pain . i don't feel like doing much after working 8 hrs on my feet . feet throbb too much .