Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr. Z.

Posted by Penny T. on 8/16/01 at 10:24 (056892)

I just talked with a friend, who is also a Physical therapist, who has had PF for 10 years. He recently had augmented soft tissue mobilization,ASTM, treatment and says the results were incredible. (This procedure is performed by a PT.) On a scale of 1-10 his pain is usually about a 6 with often times a 10, but now is virtually pain free. He can even walk without shoes again.
My question is this, what have you heard about this treatment and how long do the results last. (He has to have 6 treatments in all.) Could this treatment cause injury to the affected area?

Re: Dr. Z.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/16/01 at 11:33 (056897)

This is a treatment (ASTM) that I am not aware of. Sorry

Pauline on 8/18/01 at 09:37 (057080)

Penny,
If you type 'Augmented' into Scott's message board search it will bring up an old posting that list web sites for more information. If you'd rather
search on your own use 'yahoo' to bring up many sites as well.

When you read through this type of treatment it sounds very much like an early precursor for todays ESWT. From my experience many Physcial Therapist probably use a form of of Augmented Soft Tissue Mobilization but just never call it that.

Wishing you success in all of your treatments.

Penny T. on 8/20/01 at 23:03 (057376)

Pauline, this is different than ESWT. In this treatment the therapist uses a plastic appliance that is similar to a credit card only a bit larger to 'scrape' the affected area. The foot, and lower leg if needed, is 'scraped' with the plastic card to cause injury to the area so it can 're-heal' the right way. It has been used for PF and different tendonitis type problems for 4 years with good results.

The treatment takes 5-10 minutes and is VERY painful, but gives immediate results. (My friend was able to walk without shoes for the first time in 10 years pain free.) From what I read most people need about 6 treatments.

There are many sites on the web. This is the one I found most useful. http://www.performancedynamics.com/ASTM/what_is_astm.htm

As before my question is if anyone out there has tried or heard of this procedure? I'm a bit afraid to try it considering the pain involved but if it really works I'm there.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/16/01 at 11:33 (056897)

This is a treatment (ASTM) that I am not aware of. Sorry

Pauline on 8/18/01 at 09:37 (057080)

Penny,
If you type 'Augmented' into Scott's message board search it will bring up an old posting that list web sites for more information. If you'd rather
search on your own use 'yahoo' to bring up many sites as well.

When you read through this type of treatment it sounds very much like an early precursor for todays ESWT. From my experience many Physcial Therapist probably use a form of of Augmented Soft Tissue Mobilization but just never call it that.

Wishing you success in all of your treatments.

Penny T. on 8/20/01 at 23:03 (057376)

Pauline, this is different than ESWT. In this treatment the therapist uses a plastic appliance that is similar to a credit card only a bit larger to 'scrape' the affected area. The foot, and lower leg if needed, is 'scraped' with the plastic card to cause injury to the area so it can 're-heal' the right way. It has been used for PF and different tendonitis type problems for 4 years with good results.

The treatment takes 5-10 minutes and is VERY painful, but gives immediate results. (My friend was able to walk without shoes for the first time in 10 years pain free.) From what I read most people need about 6 treatments.

There are many sites on the web. This is the one I found most useful. http://www.performancedynamics.com/ASTM/what_is_astm.htm

As before my question is if anyone out there has tried or heard of this procedure? I'm a bit afraid to try it considering the pain involved but if it really works I'm there.