Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Haglunds surgery

Posted by LeanneC on 8/16/01 at 23:12 (056958)

I had surgery to remove a spur growing up the back of my heel 2 months ago. The scar is looks healed, but I am still in terrible pain and cannot say there has been any improvement since my surgery. My scar is about 2.5 inches long from the bottom of my foot to just below my ankle at the very back of my foot, and the top third of the scar has seems to be swollen. If I press along my scar or knock it, it becomes very painful although there appears to be no infection. I am still using a walking stick because I am back at work and if I do too much it is really handy. Spoke to my ortho who said it would take months to heal and otherwise was quite happy with my operation, saying he did not need to see me again. I recently applied for a promotional position, but am unable to accept it because it involves a great walking between companies (around 2 kms) on a regular basis.

Is this normal?

Re: Haglunds surgery

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/17/01 at 18:45 (057034)

Should start to feel better. Some time a nerve called the sural nerve healed into the incision .Need to find this out. Also need physical therapy to the foot and ankle working again

bg cped on 8/19/01 at 13:20 (057173)

You may want to consider (if you have not) wearing an open back slip on sandal that has a slight raise in the heel. It wont rub on the back of foot and the lift will reduce pull on achille

ellen w on 8/20/01 at 10:44 (057258)

Another thing you could try is a type of protective half-sock made by Silipos. It has a gel pad that is shaped to conform to the heel and back of the ankle and protect that area from shoes rubbing on it. I believe Dr. Z. sells them and has them listed on his website; there is a web site for silipos.com; I got mine from a shoe catalog. I found it helpful when I had retrocalcaneal bursitis, and part of the symptoms were a very hard red heel that felt painful when any pressure was applied to it.
ellen

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/17/01 at 18:45 (057034)

Should start to feel better. Some time a nerve called the sural nerve healed into the incision .Need to find this out. Also need physical therapy to the foot and ankle working again

bg cped on 8/19/01 at 13:20 (057173)

You may want to consider (if you have not) wearing an open back slip on sandal that has a slight raise in the heel. It wont rub on the back of foot and the lift will reduce pull on achille

ellen w on 8/20/01 at 10:44 (057258)

Another thing you could try is a type of protective half-sock made by Silipos. It has a gel pad that is shaped to conform to the heel and back of the ankle and protect that area from shoes rubbing on it. I believe Dr. Z. sells them and has them listed on his website; there is a web site for silipos.com; I got mine from a shoe catalog. I found it helpful when I had retrocalcaneal bursitis, and part of the symptoms were a very hard red heel that felt painful when any pressure was applied to it.
ellen