Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Living with Ledderhose's

Posted by Kajsa H on 8/17/01 at hrmin (057000)

I'm a 25 year old woman that got the diagnosis, Ledderhose's disease in April 2001. My dream before the diagnos was to be a longdistance runner but when the fibromatoms started to grow under my foot, my life changed. I've removed one nudule this spring, but there are two growing right now.
My question is, how do you live whit this disease? Can I still runn? What causes the nodules to grow? How do I stop them from comming?
I woul like to get in tuch with others with the same disease, where do i do that?
/Kajsa

Re: Living with Ledderhose's

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/20/01 at hrmin (057337)

This is an unusual disease, the cause of which is poorly understood. We generally advise people not to have lesions removed for cosmetic purposes since they tend to grow back. I removed a large neurofibramotosis lesion from the sole of a patient a couple weeks ago but that was only because it was interfering with her gait.

I would try not to sideline any of your plans unless your family doctor or other doctor 'managing' the disease can provide you with a compelling reason for doing so.
Ed

Re: Living with Ledderhose's-CORRECTION

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/20/01 at 19:37 (057339)

Excuse me-- I answered too quickly. Ledderhose disease, if that diagnosis is indeed correct, is just another name for plantar fibromatosis -- it has been a while since I have heard anyone use that terminology.

The news is even better--plantar fibromatosis is a fibrous nodule or growth on the plantar fascia and is easy to treat. By all means--get it treated properly and do not let it slow you down! Surgical treatment tends to yield poor results. Conservative treatment involves injecting the nodules either with triamcinolone acetonide or a combination of triamcinolone actetonide and Wydase. I have never seen a case where conservative treatment (done properly) did not work.
Ed

Re: Living with Ledderhose's

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/20/01 at hrmin (057337)

This is an unusual disease, the cause of which is poorly understood. We generally advise people not to have lesions removed for cosmetic purposes since they tend to grow back. I removed a large neurofibramotosis lesion from the sole of a patient a couple weeks ago but that was only because it was interfering with her gait.

I would try not to sideline any of your plans unless your family doctor or other doctor 'managing' the disease can provide you with a compelling reason for doing so.
Ed

Re: Living with Ledderhose's-CORRECTION

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/20/01 at 19:37 (057339)

Excuse me-- I answered too quickly. Ledderhose disease, if that diagnosis is indeed correct, is just another name for plantar fibromatosis -- it has been a while since I have heard anyone use that terminology.

The news is even better--plantar fibromatosis is a fibrous nodule or growth on the plantar fascia and is easy to treat. By all means--get it treated properly and do not let it slow you down! Surgical treatment tends to yield poor results. Conservative treatment involves injecting the nodules either with triamcinolone acetonide or a combination of triamcinolone actetonide and Wydase. I have never seen a case where conservative treatment (done properly) did not work.
Ed