Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

bone spur

Posted by Dennis A. on 8/19/01 at 00:12 (057131)

I have had pain in my right heel for about 6 months. The pain is when something touches the area. There is no pain when I walk unless my shoe rubs. There is pain just putting my heel down when I go to bed. I went to my primary care doctor and he took X-rays. I have a bone spur on my heel where the achilles tendon is attached. He suggested that I exercise the heel. What else can I do. I have been walking 5-6 miles a week for about three years now. Do I need more walking or is there someting else I can do. Thanks

Dennis A.

Re: bone spur

Julie on 8/19/01 at 02:53 (057136)

Hi Dennis

You need to see a podiatrist, or an orthopedic doctor who specializes in feet and ankles. Primary care physicians know a little bit about a lot of things, and you need someone who knows a lot about feet, who can examine, evaluate and diagnose you and put in place a comprehensive treatment programme.

If you tell us where you live, it may be possible for one of the doctors who help us out here to recommend someone.

Meanwhile, until you know exactly what is wrong, it might be best to cut out the walking and rest. Also, read the heel pain book (click on the link right here).

You posted your question on the heelspurs.com message board, which is for 'administrative' comments about the website itself. I know it must be confusing to newcomers, but there are several message boards. Click on 'Message Boards' at the top, and you'll see the whole list. Then re-post your question (with information about where you live) on the 'Ask the Foot Doctors' board.

Rick B, on 8/19/01 at 12:26 (057169)

Hi! I've had PF for about a year. Have had two cortisone shots, but no LT relief. An xray shows bone spur on forward part of heel. Should it be surgically removed? I hear surgury is difficult and not may success stories. Does the spur eventually get absorbed into body? I've been wearing Spenco's Crosstrainer insole, which helps. What options are available? Thank you.

Julie on 8/19/01 at 02:53 (057136)

Hi Dennis

You need to see a podiatrist, or an orthopedic doctor who specializes in feet and ankles. Primary care physicians know a little bit about a lot of things, and you need someone who knows a lot about feet, who can examine, evaluate and diagnose you and put in place a comprehensive treatment programme.

If you tell us where you live, it may be possible for one of the doctors who help us out here to recommend someone.

Meanwhile, until you know exactly what is wrong, it might be best to cut out the walking and rest. Also, read the heel pain book (click on the link right here).

You posted your question on the heelspurs.com message board, which is for 'administrative' comments about the website itself. I know it must be confusing to newcomers, but there are several message boards. Click on 'Message Boards' at the top, and you'll see the whole list. Then re-post your question (with information about where you live) on the 'Ask the Foot Doctors' board.

Rick B, on 8/19/01 at 12:26 (057169)

Hi! I've had PF for about a year. Have had two cortisone shots, but no LT relief. An xray shows bone spur on forward part of heel. Should it be surgically removed? I hear surgury is difficult and not may success stories. Does the spur eventually get absorbed into body? I've been wearing Spenco's Crosstrainer insole, which helps. What options are available? Thank you.