Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar fisciitis or arthritis or lupus?????????

Posted by teresa ca on 8/19/01 at 14:45 (057180)

can anyone tell me what the difference is between plantar fisciitis and say arthritis or r-arthritis? the symptoms, are they the same? could any of these conditions be a result of sle-'lupus'?? and if so how can a dr. tell which is the main cause or do you just treat the symptoms? also could hypotyroidism cause the same type of foot/heel pain ?

thanks for any help!!

teresa

Re: plantar fisciitis or arthritis or lupus?????????

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/19/01 at 16:52 (057183)

This is a very good question. RA can have pf symptoms usually the patient is going to have other joint problems that go with RA. Very rare to have RA and pf as the initial pain.

You can have degenerative joint disease in the ankle and subtalar joint that will place abnormal weight on the pf and thus develop PF

You can have lupus with RA.

In either case if the patient is already being treated for RA then you treat the local pain and symptoms.

There have been cases where the patients will have joint pain and pf and the pf pain is greater then the joint pain or they have been treating join
pain with tyenol, advil etc and they go to the podiatrist and he starts to ask about over joints and this leads to a complete blood evaluation.

teresa ca on 8/19/01 at 17:37 (057187)

dr. zuckerman,
thank you for responding,if i may i'd like to explain what has transpired over the last 3 years. first i started having pain in alot of my joints(ankles,knees,elbos,wrist,fingers),severe fatigue,sudden weight gain,
depression,all the typical symptoms of hypo-tyroidism,but what threw me was the rash on my face(checks,and across my nose) as i do have an older sister with SLE,this concerned me that i also may have SLE upon seeing my family doctor he did a CBC,TSH,ANA,RA. THE RA came back(-) THE TSH came back indicating hypo. the ANA came back 1/320 his conclusion was that my antibodies had pretty much destroyed my thyroids, he started me on thyroid rx.,vioxx,prednisone he indicated that because mt thyroid had become so bad that this was the cause of all my joint,and foot problems
i have now been on the thyroid rx. for 2 1/2 years my level is correct
but my heels are begining to flare again it is so painful to even walk i
insisted on another ANA this time it was 1/640, i also insisted on a x-ray of my feet wich will be done tomarrow he now seems to think it might be
plantar fisciitis which is what drew me to this sight. the other symptoms that i have are;the most severe at this time is pain in my feet upon standing it usually eases after a few moments only to return after being up for a while only to become worse as the day goes on, also i have periodic pain in my knees and elbos that comes and goes along with the fatigue,and facial rash. the only things that realy help are ice packs,massage, vioxx,prednisone. the prednisone i do not take all the time only when things really get bad. should i seek another doctor for a different opinion? if so what type of field should i look for?

sorry this was so long but again thank you for all you help!!!!!!!

the x-ray tomarrow what could this tell me ?

thank you SO MUCH!!!
TERESA

Scott R on 8/19/01 at 18:01 (057190)

Someone at the podiatrists meeting in Chicago said heel pain was the presenting symptom of a new rash of lupus cases popping up.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/20/01 at 14:15 (057284)

It is possible to have 'mechanical' plantar fasciitis plus lupus. Need to check foot biomechanics and see how much residual fascial pain remains after anti-inflammatories are used for lupus. In other words, if medications used for lupus largely stop joint pain but there is resudual plantar fascial pain, then suspect mechanical overlay.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/19/01 at 16:52 (057183)

This is a very good question. RA can have pf symptoms usually the patient is going to have other joint problems that go with RA. Very rare to have RA and pf as the initial pain.

You can have degenerative joint disease in the ankle and subtalar joint that will place abnormal weight on the pf and thus develop PF

You can have lupus with RA.

In either case if the patient is already being treated for RA then you treat the local pain and symptoms.

There have been cases where the patients will have joint pain and pf and the pf pain is greater then the joint pain or they have been treating join
pain with tyenol, advil etc and they go to the podiatrist and he starts to ask about over joints and this leads to a complete blood evaluation.

teresa ca on 8/19/01 at 17:37 (057187)

dr. zuckerman,
thank you for responding,if i may i'd like to explain what has transpired over the last 3 years. first i started having pain in alot of my joints(ankles,knees,elbos,wrist,fingers),severe fatigue,sudden weight gain,
depression,all the typical symptoms of hypo-tyroidism,but what threw me was the rash on my face(checks,and across my nose) as i do have an older sister with SLE,this concerned me that i also may have SLE upon seeing my family doctor he did a CBC,TSH,ANA,RA. THE RA came back(-) THE TSH came back indicating hypo. the ANA came back 1/320 his conclusion was that my antibodies had pretty much destroyed my thyroids, he started me on thyroid rx.,vioxx,prednisone he indicated that because mt thyroid had become so bad that this was the cause of all my joint,and foot problems
i have now been on the thyroid rx. for 2 1/2 years my level is correct
but my heels are begining to flare again it is so painful to even walk i
insisted on another ANA this time it was 1/640, i also insisted on a x-ray of my feet wich will be done tomarrow he now seems to think it might be
plantar fisciitis which is what drew me to this sight. the other symptoms that i have are;the most severe at this time is pain in my feet upon standing it usually eases after a few moments only to return after being up for a while only to become worse as the day goes on, also i have periodic pain in my knees and elbos that comes and goes along with the fatigue,and facial rash. the only things that realy help are ice packs,massage, vioxx,prednisone. the prednisone i do not take all the time only when things really get bad. should i seek another doctor for a different opinion? if so what type of field should i look for?

sorry this was so long but again thank you for all you help!!!!!!!

the x-ray tomarrow what could this tell me ?

thank you SO MUCH!!!
TERESA

Scott R on 8/19/01 at 18:01 (057190)

Someone at the podiatrists meeting in Chicago said heel pain was the presenting symptom of a new rash of lupus cases popping up.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/20/01 at 14:15 (057284)

It is possible to have 'mechanical' plantar fasciitis plus lupus. Need to check foot biomechanics and see how much residual fascial pain remains after anti-inflammatories are used for lupus. In other words, if medications used for lupus largely stop joint pain but there is resudual plantar fascial pain, then suspect mechanical overlay.
Ed