Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

SHOWER SHOES suggestions please!

Posted by Carmen H on 8/19/01 at 18:13 (057193)

I need some shower shoe (CHEAP) suggestions please. The Okabashi brand KILLS my feet. For now I am standing on a really thick wet towel while I shower until I can get some shoestaht don't kill my feet. I tried some Rockports, flip flops and now these and they all hurt.
Anyone with any reasonably priced ideas send them my way...
Thanks!

Re: SHOWER SHOES suggestions please!

Dan L on 8/19/01 at 20:33 (057204)

for the last 2 years I sit on one of those small plastic 'handicapped stools' in the shower. I have the shower head on the end of one of those flexible plastic hoses. You can get both at Lowes and very inexpensive. Beats standing up!!!!

Wendy in NJ on 8/19/01 at 20:39 (057205)

I use those cheap 7.00 sandals that have little rubber thingies sticking up that kinda massage my foot while in them. There is even a little arch support so i use them at night too. I have like 3 pair lying around because I need my feet to breathe at night from the tape so i will slip those on at night. They're black with white stripes across the top of the sandal. I got mine at WalMart.

Pauline on 8/19/01 at 23:06 (057219)

Carman,
I use a pair by Esprit. They are not exactly made for the shower because they appear to have a fuzzy lining under the single band that goes over the foot. It hasn't worn off yet so maybe they are water shoes. In any case I found them on the clearance table. I especially like them because they have an arch and provide a softer cushion effect for my feet.

The chair idea offered I think is an excellent one. You might be able to pick up a used one from the want ads or perhaps a senior center would let you borrow one for a while.

Lisa C on 8/20/01 at 00:30 (057223)

$25.00 isn't cheap, but it could be cheaper then buying alot of $8.00 pairs that don't feel good. I got the Pro webbing thongs (mens) from the slipper shack in Hawaii. They have a web site and quick shipping. They have decent arch support and slip on & off easy & dry quick. I wouldn't recommend them for any length of walking. I spent yesterday at the water park in the pools all day and did fine. (walked to & from park in Mephistos) I have been pleased from the start and I hate sandals 'between my toes'. I know it sooo doesn't matter to any of us with foot pain anymore but... they are cute too!

Julie on 8/20/01 at 01:23 (057226)

Birkenstock make water shoes out of a material called Birki-flor. Cheaper than regular Birks, though not as cheap as the other things that have been suggested. But they will last a long time. I found a pair last year at the Birkenstock shop in Covent Garden for half price - you might be lucky too. I don't need them in the shower, but I use them at the pool, to walk from the shower area to the pool and back. And at the beach. So they're multi-purpose.

Flip flops are no better than bare feet: you need arch support.

Dan's stool suggestion is an excellent idea.

Re: Thanks ALL...

Carmen H on 8/20/01 at 07:10 (057235)

I actually used the flip flops weeks and weeks ago....long before I knew all I do now aboutthe flat shoe thing etc. So that probably aided in the early (worse) damage on my feet.
My shower isn't big enough for a seat (thanks for the idea though) my husband would not be able to get in it if I put more stuff in there then already is.
I am going to try a water place (Like water water everywhere) and see what I can find.
Thanks everyone!!
I am not able to wear my Birks anymore...
Danskos are it for me.....

john h on 8/20/01 at 08:26 (057241)

Sensi makes a pool or shower sandal with some arch support. i think their website is http://www.sensi.com

you can probably find them in a local store. good shower,pool or bedroom shoe.

Re: Another suggestion

Beverly on 8/20/01 at 11:59 (057260)

The only shower shoes I've been able to wear are Chaco's. They cost as much as Birks, but worth the $$$. They are river shoes/water sports type shoes, found at outdoormen type stores or walking shoe type stores. I like them because you can secure them snuggly and they have a little arch support.
I wear them in the shower and when getting in and out of bath so as never to go barefooted. Also, by the pool. I've learned the hard way that even the best water shoes don't have enough support for me to use them for more than 'wet' areas. Also, I've long used the stool in tub on bad weeks.
Best wishes,
Beverly

Dondi on 8/20/01 at 15:27 (057304)

I needed a shower shoe for vacation since many hotels no longer have bathtubs, and that's all I have been taking are baths because I can't stand without support for my feet. I bought a pair of Teva's that had some arch support (not all Teva's had the support) and they felt wonderful in the shower and pool. I did not walk in them just used them for water activities. They are not cheap about 60.00 but they are waterproof, and have adjustable velcro straps.

Dan L on 8/19/01 at 20:33 (057204)

for the last 2 years I sit on one of those small plastic 'handicapped stools' in the shower. I have the shower head on the end of one of those flexible plastic hoses. You can get both at Lowes and very inexpensive. Beats standing up!!!!

Wendy in NJ on 8/19/01 at 20:39 (057205)

I use those cheap 7.00 sandals that have little rubber thingies sticking up that kinda massage my foot while in them. There is even a little arch support so i use them at night too. I have like 3 pair lying around because I need my feet to breathe at night from the tape so i will slip those on at night. They're black with white stripes across the top of the sandal. I got mine at WalMart.

Pauline on 8/19/01 at 23:06 (057219)

Carman,
I use a pair by Esprit. They are not exactly made for the shower because they appear to have a fuzzy lining under the single band that goes over the foot. It hasn't worn off yet so maybe they are water shoes. In any case I found them on the clearance table. I especially like them because they have an arch and provide a softer cushion effect for my feet.

The chair idea offered I think is an excellent one. You might be able to pick up a used one from the want ads or perhaps a senior center would let you borrow one for a while.

Lisa C on 8/20/01 at 00:30 (057223)

$25.00 isn't cheap, but it could be cheaper then buying alot of $8.00 pairs that don't feel good. I got the Pro webbing thongs (mens) from the slipper shack in Hawaii. They have a web site and quick shipping. They have decent arch support and slip on & off easy & dry quick. I wouldn't recommend them for any length of walking. I spent yesterday at the water park in the pools all day and did fine. (walked to & from park in Mephistos) I have been pleased from the start and I hate sandals 'between my toes'. I know it sooo doesn't matter to any of us with foot pain anymore but... they are cute too!

Julie on 8/20/01 at 01:23 (057226)

Birkenstock make water shoes out of a material called Birki-flor. Cheaper than regular Birks, though not as cheap as the other things that have been suggested. But they will last a long time. I found a pair last year at the Birkenstock shop in Covent Garden for half price - you might be lucky too. I don't need them in the shower, but I use them at the pool, to walk from the shower area to the pool and back. And at the beach. So they're multi-purpose.

Flip flops are no better than bare feet: you need arch support.

Dan's stool suggestion is an excellent idea.

Re: Thanks ALL...

Carmen H on 8/20/01 at 07:10 (057235)

I actually used the flip flops weeks and weeks ago....long before I knew all I do now aboutthe flat shoe thing etc. So that probably aided in the early (worse) damage on my feet.
My shower isn't big enough for a seat (thanks for the idea though) my husband would not be able to get in it if I put more stuff in there then already is.
I am going to try a water place (Like water water everywhere) and see what I can find.
Thanks everyone!!
I am not able to wear my Birks anymore...
Danskos are it for me.....

john h on 8/20/01 at 08:26 (057241)

Sensi makes a pool or shower sandal with some arch support. i think their website is http://www.sensi.com

you can probably find them in a local store. good shower,pool or bedroom shoe.

Re: Another suggestion

Beverly on 8/20/01 at 11:59 (057260)

The only shower shoes I've been able to wear are Chaco's. They cost as much as Birks, but worth the $$$. They are river shoes/water sports type shoes, found at outdoormen type stores or walking shoe type stores. I like them because you can secure them snuggly and they have a little arch support.
I wear them in the shower and when getting in and out of bath so as never to go barefooted. Also, by the pool. I've learned the hard way that even the best water shoes don't have enough support for me to use them for more than 'wet' areas. Also, I've long used the stool in tub on bad weeks.
Best wishes,
Beverly

Dondi on 8/20/01 at 15:27 (057304)

I needed a shower shoe for vacation since many hotels no longer have bathtubs, and that's all I have been taking are baths because I can't stand without support for my feet. I bought a pair of Teva's that had some arch support (not all Teva's had the support) and they felt wonderful in the shower and pool. I did not walk in them just used them for water activities. They are not cheap about 60.00 but they are waterproof, and have adjustable velcro straps.