Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

3 weeks post op visit...TTS and PF

Posted by CindyF on 8/20/01 at 01:13 (057225)

well..I had my 3 week post op visit from TTS and PF...
Had most of sutures removed....Still remain non weight bearing...and pain is tolerable...though getting to be annoying...
I have tried to cut back on the pain pills...but still need to take at night just to get sleep...and in the daytime when the Motrin doesn't seem to take the edge off...
I can't seem to rest my foot on any pillow or any surface...seems to have pain when I do...I feel pain all the way up to my knee...
If I don't elevate my foot...the swelling set's in....but my foot and leg is sore from having up on pillow...so I find myself just holding it suspended in air...which is tiring also...
Is this Normal????
I feel like the muscles in my calf are wasting away....
Plan to start PT this coming week...
I still have the sutures in on the bottom of the incision...Dr. claims this area takes longer to heal...
I have cam walking boot..but still unable to flex foot enough to sit right in boot...so I can't do much crutch walking now....
I'm getting very frusterated....seems my every thought in the day involves my foot...on how I can get comfortable for a little bit...
The Dr. put steri strips over the incision site...and so I still can't get my foot wet....
Any suggestions on how to keep my leg from hurting when I lay it on a pillow or any surface would be very helpful...
Thanks...
CindyF

Re: 3 weeks post op visit...TTS and PF

Mary J. on 8/21/01 at 07:23 (057409)

Cindy, You are not alone. I had the open fasciotomy and nerve decompression 5 weeks ago. It will get better. It took awhile to cut back on the pain pills. But I have finally cut back to ice packs. I made ice packs out of rice, which are not super cold, and they work great. Since my pain also comes up to the knee, I use a pillow for the leg and the knee. Luckily, I have this one soft springy pillow. I haven't had swelling in the last few days, but I still regularly prop my feet up. I also can't sit right in the fracture cast, and I get some pain even with it. But I am encouraged with the slow progress. Someday. Let use know how you are. Mary J.

Re: Found out why it hurt......getting an infection..*sigh*

CindyF on 8/21/01 at 12:06 (057429)

Well..I went to the Dr. yesterday again....because I saw some drainage....well..I have a start of an infection....
That's all I need...no wonder it was hurting my heel to be touched...
Mary....I never hear of freezing rice and using it as an ice pack....do you add anything to it??
Now my PT got postponed...I was supposed to start today...now have to wait at least another week...
I think my depression is starting to set in...because I can't walk...my husband is out of town working for at least 2 more weeks...(has been gone one week already)...and now an infection which is going to slow down my progress...
WHAT NEXT???
I guess it wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't here alone day in and day out....sitting with my foot up to keep it from swelling...
Oh well..that's life I guess...
Oh...and to top it off...I just found out I might be a diabetic...I go see the regular Dr. in the morning...now...that would really throw a kink in my healng...
Cindy

Mary J. on 8/21/01 at 15:48 (057452)

Cindy, Well, at least you found out why the severe pain. Hope you have anti-biotics to heal it fast. You make rice ice packs by sewing a small bag out of material, adding the rice, and sewing it back up. They are not super cold like ice, and just right for what we have. Let us hear how your infection gets.

Pauline on 8/21/01 at 15:49 (057453)

Come on Cindy, we're going to pull you through this. You got a lot of things dropped on you all at once, but we're going to help you take a deep breath and change your thoughts. The good news is that you went to the doctor and he diagnosed correctly and will put you on medication to clear up your infection. You used the term 'might' when refering to diabetic so you really have to wait for better confirmation. Even if your worst fears come true and you are diabetic please know that others before you have heeled from various surgeries and you will heel from this one too.

If you feel your depression getting the best of you---get to the doctor and put in back in check. Remember your strong, and you can tackle everything that has been give to you, but your just going to do it one thing at a time and one day at a time.

Let us be your sounding board and your comfortable place to come. Your husband will be back soon, talk to him every chance you get and talk to us in the mean time.

Everyone on this site is here for you especially now when you feel over whelmed. The good thing about us is that we never tire of hearing cries for help, because we know tomorrow it could be one of us.

Knowing you will have a better tomorrow, maybe not as fast as you want, but soon.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/21/01 at 18:07 (057474)

There is no reason that you won't heal. You have great circulaton. They have found that you have diabetes and will get this under control. We have the best antibiotic available and you will heal.

You will heal. You need to know as Pauline has stated you have friends on this board.

Now you know what is going on and you will get this healed. Trust me it will heal.

Re: Thanks for the encouragement*S* Dr. Zucherman...could a bacteria lie dormant...then return?

CindyF on 8/21/01 at 22:33 (057494)

Thanks for the great words of wisdom....
I will find out in the morning if I do have diabetes...have an appt. to get it all checked...
I got on some strong antibiotics yesterday....and prescribed panafil to treat the wound site...
As a nurse...I know this will help it all...
I guess I was just bummed out because I had been here alone too much...but...had lot's of company today stopping by....and when I changed my dressing it didn't look so bad today....
Then...I looked on here and see how much people on here who don't even know me actually care...well...it did make my eyes swell up with tears...
I guess the thing that got me really down was the infection....because the cause of my trapped nerves was from an infection I had in 1996...which tunneled and left massive scar tissue....which was after a surgery which I thought was for a heel spur....then ended up being a neuroma....
The area that is infected now is in the exact area which had the infection then....
Dr. Zuckerman....Could an infection lay dormant...then when foot in distress like after a surgery come back after 5 years???
I'm trying to remember the name of the bacteria...I know it was an anarobic bacteria...something like 'peptostreptococcus'...
I beleive that was it...The Podiatrist claimed it was rare and he had never seen a case of it before...
The podiatrist at the time let it go for weeks....before lancing the area to let the infection drain....by then...my foot was so swelled and inflamed...I couldn't stand it...and I was seeing him almost daily....
That's why I was watching my incision now so closely....
I was at the Orthopedics on Friday...sutures were removed...then...2 days later the drainage started....
Well..thanks again...
CindyF

Re: Thanks for the encouragement*S* Dr. Zucherman...could a bacteria lie dormant...then return?

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/23/01 at 10:55 (057668)

It is possible for an infection to go into the bone and or form an abcess
. Testing such as an mri can help to determine the degree of infection
whether is is soft tissue or bone.
When it is in the bone is can go into remission and then come out again

I am sure you will get the going over due to the previous infection being in the same area

Re: Dr. Zuckerman...Thanks for the response..

CindyF on 8/23/01 at 15:10 (057696)

Dr. Zuckerman...thanks for the response...
I asked my Ortho about the infection...if it could be in the bone...and he stated he thourally checked out everything when he was inside my foot and I didn't show any signs of Osteomylitis...
He has me putting panafil on the area daily...which has really helped remove the outer surface...and is getting it down to pink tissue...and placed me on Augmentin 875mg twice daily...
I did find out yesterday that I am a diabetic....The Doc put me on a pill..and I know if I don't control it ...I could slow my healing...but Hey...I quit smoking before the surgery to allow myself proper healing...I will just have to watch my diet very carefully also...and keep an eye on my bloodsugar levels...
Now I just have to get this wound healed up so I can start my PT....I'm getting anxious to get it started...after a month of non weight bearing...I'm ready to walk again...
At least my Orthopedic Dr. and my Medical Dr. are both working together to get my foot healed...not many people have that....
Oh...and now I got you....*S*
Thanks...
CindyF

Re: 3 weeks post op visit...TTS and PF

Mary J. on 8/21/01 at 07:23 (057409)

Cindy, You are not alone. I had the open fasciotomy and nerve decompression 5 weeks ago. It will get better. It took awhile to cut back on the pain pills. But I have finally cut back to ice packs. I made ice packs out of rice, which are not super cold, and they work great. Since my pain also comes up to the knee, I use a pillow for the leg and the knee. Luckily, I have this one soft springy pillow. I haven't had swelling in the last few days, but I still regularly prop my feet up. I also can't sit right in the fracture cast, and I get some pain even with it. But I am encouraged with the slow progress. Someday. Let use know how you are. Mary J.

CindyF on 8/21/01 at 12:06 (057429)

Well..I went to the Dr. yesterday again....because I saw some drainage....well..I have a start of an infection....
That's all I need...no wonder it was hurting my heel to be touched...
Mary....I never hear of freezing rice and using it as an ice pack....do you add anything to it??
Now my PT got postponed...I was supposed to start today...now have to wait at least another week...
I think my depression is starting to set in...because I can't walk...my husband is out of town working for at least 2 more weeks...(has been gone one week already)...and now an infection which is going to slow down my progress...
WHAT NEXT???
I guess it wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't here alone day in and day out....sitting with my foot up to keep it from swelling...
Oh well..that's life I guess...
Oh...and to top it off...I just found out I might be a diabetic...I go see the regular Dr. in the morning...now...that would really throw a kink in my healng...
Cindy

Mary J. on 8/21/01 at 15:48 (057452)

Cindy, Well, at least you found out why the severe pain. Hope you have anti-biotics to heal it fast. You make rice ice packs by sewing a small bag out of material, adding the rice, and sewing it back up. They are not super cold like ice, and just right for what we have. Let us hear how your infection gets.

Pauline on 8/21/01 at 15:49 (057453)

Come on Cindy, we're going to pull you through this. You got a lot of things dropped on you all at once, but we're going to help you take a deep breath and change your thoughts. The good news is that you went to the doctor and he diagnosed correctly and will put you on medication to clear up your infection. You used the term 'might' when refering to diabetic so you really have to wait for better confirmation. Even if your worst fears come true and you are diabetic please know that others before you have heeled from various surgeries and you will heel from this one too.

If you feel your depression getting the best of you---get to the doctor and put in back in check. Remember your strong, and you can tackle everything that has been give to you, but your just going to do it one thing at a time and one day at a time.

Let us be your sounding board and your comfortable place to come. Your husband will be back soon, talk to him every chance you get and talk to us in the mean time.

Everyone on this site is here for you especially now when you feel over whelmed. The good thing about us is that we never tire of hearing cries for help, because we know tomorrow it could be one of us.

Knowing you will have a better tomorrow, maybe not as fast as you want, but soon.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/21/01 at 18:07 (057474)

There is no reason that you won't heal. You have great circulaton. They have found that you have diabetes and will get this under control. We have the best antibiotic available and you will heal.

You will heal. You need to know as Pauline has stated you have friends on this board.

Now you know what is going on and you will get this healed. Trust me it will heal.

CindyF on 8/21/01 at 22:33 (057494)

Thanks for the great words of wisdom....
I will find out in the morning if I do have diabetes...have an appt. to get it all checked...
I got on some strong antibiotics yesterday....and prescribed panafil to treat the wound site...
As a nurse...I know this will help it all...
I guess I was just bummed out because I had been here alone too much...but...had lot's of company today stopping by....and when I changed my dressing it didn't look so bad today....
Then...I looked on here and see how much people on here who don't even know me actually care...well...it did make my eyes swell up with tears...
I guess the thing that got me really down was the infection....because the cause of my trapped nerves was from an infection I had in 1996...which tunneled and left massive scar tissue....which was after a surgery which I thought was for a heel spur....then ended up being a neuroma....
The area that is infected now is in the exact area which had the infection then....
Dr. Zuckerman....Could an infection lay dormant...then when foot in distress like after a surgery come back after 5 years???
I'm trying to remember the name of the bacteria...I know it was an anarobic bacteria...something like 'peptostreptococcus'...
I beleive that was it...The Podiatrist claimed it was rare and he had never seen a case of it before...
The podiatrist at the time let it go for weeks....before lancing the area to let the infection drain....by then...my foot was so swelled and inflamed...I couldn't stand it...and I was seeing him almost daily....
That's why I was watching my incision now so closely....
I was at the Orthopedics on Friday...sutures were removed...then...2 days later the drainage started....
Well..thanks again...
CindyF

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/23/01 at 10:55 (057668)

It is possible for an infection to go into the bone and or form an abcess
. Testing such as an mri can help to determine the degree of infection
whether is is soft tissue or bone.
When it is in the bone is can go into remission and then come out again

I am sure you will get the going over due to the previous infection being in the same area

Re: Dr. Zuckerman...Thanks for the response..

CindyF on 8/23/01 at 15:10 (057696)

Dr. Zuckerman...thanks for the response...
I asked my Ortho about the infection...if it could be in the bone...and he stated he thourally checked out everything when he was inside my foot and I didn't show any signs of Osteomylitis...
He has me putting panafil on the area daily...which has really helped remove the outer surface...and is getting it down to pink tissue...and placed me on Augmentin 875mg twice daily...
I did find out yesterday that I am a diabetic....The Doc put me on a pill..and I know if I don't control it ...I could slow my healing...but Hey...I quit smoking before the surgery to allow myself proper healing...I will just have to watch my diet very carefully also...and keep an eye on my bloodsugar levels...
Now I just have to get this wound healed up so I can start my PT....I'm getting anxious to get it started...after a month of non weight bearing...I'm ready to walk again...
At least my Orthopedic Dr. and my Medical Dr. are both working together to get my foot healed...not many people have that....
Oh...and now I got you....*S*
Thanks...
CindyF