Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Did I reinjure the achilles or just a setback?

Posted by Beverly on 8/20/01 at 12:15 (057266)

Hi Doc Z and all,

I was on my feet more than usual last week, not any one activity in particular, just pushed my luck too far. While sitting doing nothing after having been on my feet, I felt a weird sudden feeling in my ankle at the achilles... kinda like a muscle spasm but more intense... and I think a little crunchy sound too. It did not hurt at that moment but started feeling sore within a few minutes afterwards.

Since then, my ankle has hurt more than usual... almost as much as when I first developed AT back in March. And it hurts once again to do my simple nonweightbearing stretches. I've tried to stay off it as much as possible. It does not hurt much after lots of rest, but starts up again as soon as I'm on it.

So, does this sound like a reinjury or just a setback? It seems like if I'd torn it I'd be in much greater pain, and as I said, I see no swelling. Very disappointing because the orthodics were helping this a good bit prior to this episode.
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Did I reinjure the achilles or just a setback?

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/20/01 at 12:20 (057270)

Not sure if it is a re-injury or a setback but I am sure that you didn't rupture the achilles tendon or you would not be able to walk at all.

Treat is very seriously so that you can get a fast hold on this . Boy do you have all the luck!!

Anthony P on 8/20/01 at 22:45 (057372)

Hi Beverly ,Your symtoms are same as me only I could not put any weigth on the heel. I had a MRI that showed Achillies tendonitis and at the inside of my ankle theirs tendonitis and I have P.F. too .I been out of work for 2 monthes because of my condition REST, CAST is helping me
Well feel better, Anthony

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/20/01 at 12:20 (057270)

Not sure if it is a re-injury or a setback but I am sure that you didn't rupture the achilles tendon or you would not be able to walk at all.

Treat is very seriously so that you can get a fast hold on this . Boy do you have all the luck!!

Anthony P on 8/20/01 at 22:45 (057372)

Hi Beverly ,Your symtoms are same as me only I could not put any weigth on the heel. I had a MRI that showed Achillies tendonitis and at the inside of my ankle theirs tendonitis and I have P.F. too .I been out of work for 2 monthes because of my condition REST, CAST is helping me
Well feel better, Anthony