Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Achilles tendon rupture

Posted by AgiB on 8/20/01 at 13:04 (057278)

I have just been diagnosed as having complete rupture of the Achilles Tendon. Apparently surgery is not an option in the Uk at present and conservative management is the thing. How long am I likely to be off this leg? I am 44, female fairly fit.

Re: Achilles tendon rupture

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/20/01 at 14:10 (057282)

Conservative treatment via serial casting may be effective. The total treatment time depends on the nature of the tear: a clean tear with good quality margins vs. a tear in which the margins (ends) of the tendon are shredded.

Unfortunatley, I am not that familiar with your health system. I recently heard a lecture on surgical repair of the achilles tendon from a French surgeon. He confirmed that surgical repair is usually desirable due to faster healing and less chance of re-injury.

The conservative option can be a viable one but the surgical option should definitely be considered. Perhaps your National Helath Svc. may want to save money but it can be a false economy if you cannot get back to your job duties as quickly. Any private alternatives?
Ed

Agi Bryson on 8/20/01 at 14:15 (057283)

Thanks for the reply - I am due to see my consultant on Wed - only did this last Wed)I do have some private medical insurance but not for this type of sports injury. I will ask however if I was a private patient if they would consider surgery and if the answer is yes then the reason for conservative management will possibly be cost. You just never know these days.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/20/01 at 15:09 (057296)

I hope you can get a perfectly honest answer to your question. The managed care system (HMO) in the US often blocks doctors from such frankness via 'gag rules'---they feel that if the public is informed about alternatives ,they will demand them and drive up costs.
Ed

Agi Bryson on 8/21/01 at 06:10 (057401)

Will let you know how I get on cheers - Agi

abryson on 8/22/01 at 11:33 (057547)

Hi Ed

I am now plastered below the knee. My consultant offered me either plastered for 7 weeks, or an op and then plastered for 7 weeks. He put the ball in my court and suggested that there was little difference in the results of both treatments. Coward that I am I opted for the conservative method! Thanks for your help
Agi

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/20/01 at 14:10 (057282)

Conservative treatment via serial casting may be effective. The total treatment time depends on the nature of the tear: a clean tear with good quality margins vs. a tear in which the margins (ends) of the tendon are shredded.

Unfortunatley, I am not that familiar with your health system. I recently heard a lecture on surgical repair of the achilles tendon from a French surgeon. He confirmed that surgical repair is usually desirable due to faster healing and less chance of re-injury.

The conservative option can be a viable one but the surgical option should definitely be considered. Perhaps your National Helath Svc. may want to save money but it can be a false economy if you cannot get back to your job duties as quickly. Any private alternatives?
Ed

Agi Bryson on 8/20/01 at 14:15 (057283)

Thanks for the reply - I am due to see my consultant on Wed - only did this last Wed)I do have some private medical insurance but not for this type of sports injury. I will ask however if I was a private patient if they would consider surgery and if the answer is yes then the reason for conservative management will possibly be cost. You just never know these days.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/20/01 at 15:09 (057296)

I hope you can get a perfectly honest answer to your question. The managed care system (HMO) in the US often blocks doctors from such frankness via 'gag rules'---they feel that if the public is informed about alternatives ,they will demand them and drive up costs.
Ed

Agi Bryson on 8/21/01 at 06:10 (057401)

Will let you know how I get on cheers - Agi

abryson on 8/22/01 at 11:33 (057547)

Hi Ed

I am now plastered below the knee. My consultant offered me either plastered for 7 weeks, or an op and then plastered for 7 weeks. He put the ball in my court and suggested that there was little difference in the results of both treatments. Coward that I am I opted for the conservative method! Thanks for your help
Agi