Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How Often Does PF, TTS Lead To RSD?

Posted by Janet C. on 8/21/01 at 19:51 (057480)

Dear Drs;

A decade ago, I was a heel spur patient - I had them eventually removed - then, I developed TTS - and I had a TT Release, with excessive scar tissue encapsulating the calcaneal nerves. Now, I have developed positive signs for RSD/CRPS, and have to use a wheel chair.

All along I have heard from physicians that I am a rare patient, but honestly, how often do these types of surgeries not go as well as hoped? How many patients do you know of, that have developed RSD? And do you think it is due to the surgery irritating the nerves,-or- pushing oneself too quickly,-or- a virus, -or?

Thank you so much for your time, and obvious dedication to helping patients with this terrible, life-altering disability.

Gratefully Yours, Janet C.

Re: How Often Does PF, TTS Lead To RSD?

DR. Zuckerman on 8/21/01 at 20:14 (057482)

RSD is a real complication that I have seen three times in my podiatry life
May of the RSD cases will probaby be in large university medical centers. But is it very real

Re: How Often Does PF, TTS Lead To RSD?TO Dr.Z

Laurie R on 8/22/01 at 01:19 (057501)

Hi Dr.Z and Janet , Very good question Janet. Dr.Z do you think that long term suffers of PF can also have RSD and their doctors are just missing it ?? I have offen thought about this . Just wondering ....Laurie R

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/22/01 at 23:38 (057640)

There probably are no statistics on that because of the rarity or RSD.
'Classic' symptoms of RSD probably do not get missed by docs all that often but there may be some stealthy cases, low grade ones that slip under our radar.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/23/01 at 11:04 (057670)

I have heard the term local RSD used and it is very possible that this is what is present. This is the true RSD that has been described on the board

Re: How Often Does PF, TTS Lead To RSD?

DR. Zuckerman on 8/21/01 at 20:14 (057482)

RSD is a real complication that I have seen three times in my podiatry life
May of the RSD cases will probaby be in large university medical centers. But is it very real

Laurie R on 8/22/01 at 01:19 (057501)

Hi Dr.Z and Janet , Very good question Janet. Dr.Z do you think that long term suffers of PF can also have RSD and their doctors are just missing it ?? I have offen thought about this . Just wondering ....Laurie R

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/22/01 at 23:38 (057640)

There probably are no statistics on that because of the rarity or RSD.
'Classic' symptoms of RSD probably do not get missed by docs all that often but there may be some stealthy cases, low grade ones that slip under our radar.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/23/01 at 11:04 (057670)

I have heard the term local RSD used and it is very possible that this is what is present. This is the true RSD that has been described on the board