Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Somebody talk to me about Marcaine shots

Posted by Carmen H on 8/23/01 at 07:18 (057658)

I posted this on the other board and got no response. I would like to hear from someone who has had them recently and am wondering why I haven't heard much about them on this board?

Looking for any input at all about Marcaine (first time) shots and what to expect for relief and recovery from it. ( I know it hurts like Hello as Dr. Z would say). Has anyone had them and what happened? How many days were you pain free? I won't be stupid and think I am healed forever after the first shot I will tread VERY cautiously.

Re: Somebody talk to me about Marcaine shots

Pauline on 8/23/01 at 11:45 (057678)

Hi Carmen,

I believe one of the Doctors did answer your question on the Surgery board but maybe you have more specific questions. As far as I can tell, Marcaine is only the anaesthetic used probably in addition to a steroid to give relief. A steroid injected alone is very painful therefore every doctor I have had inject my feet also injected an anaesthetic too. You'd have to check back with your doctor to see exactly what was injected. I usually ask what and how much before any injection in the foot or elsewhere. I like to know what I am getting should there be any reactions.

In my case the best relief I receive from a steroid injection are always those put directly into the bottom of my feet. The last ones I had
provided relief the next day and really gave me a heads up on removing
inflammation in my feet. I didn't just get the shots and say this is it cured. I've treated my feet like they were still in pain and continued the conservative treatments listed on Scott's site. This bout is just about over so I feel very fortunate.

If you were only injected with Marcaine you might want to question your doctor why no steroid was used in addition to an anaesthetic. I'd have to say, but remember that I am no doctor, if only an anaesthetic was used
it could last from a few hours to 24 maybe depending on how much you were given.

My last injection put my feet to sleep from 4:00 P.M. to 10:00 A.M the next morning. One foot done at a time of course. My results were great, the injection was practically painless and no pain followed from the shot.
Inflammation went down and so did P.F. pain. It's been several months and I am still enjoying the relief. Both injections give directly into the bottom of my feet. Two syringes, one filled with anaesthetic the other filled to the top with steroid. I have to say this was the best delivery method I have ever experienced in the feet.

I certainly think the amount of steroid varies from doctor to doctor and my doctor seems to deliver a hefty amount.

Hopes this helps

Re: It does..thanks!

Carmen H on 8/23/01 at 14:40 (057692)

I did ask what it was before and a Dr. Z answered but I was wondering about people's personal experience with it to get an idea of what to expect. I haven't gotten them yet. Tomorrow if the first one.
I have to drive myself there and back so I certainly hope my feet don't go to sleep! I asked the doc if I wouold be able to drive and he said yes.
Also they are using Lidocaine and an anesthetic.
Thanks for your info! It helps for sure!

Re: Now this method makes sense!

BrianG on 8/23/01 at 18:04 (057727)

Wow Pauline,

I've never heard of anyone getting 2 injections like you did, especially with those amounts! No wonder you had some relief. How long did the doc wait to give you the steriod, after he gave you the anesthetic? It must have been fairly quick acting, the anesthetic that is. I should bring your post back to my Pod, I'm sure it would raise his eyebrows :*)

BCG

PS Tammy, you should clue your Pod in about how to give a painless shot !!! No one should have to go through what you did.

Pauline on 8/23/01 at 18:28 (057732)

Brian,
He uses no topical either. To be honest I was very skeptial when I didn't
see the freezing stuff or dental jell brought into the room. No he just filled up the syringes and put them in one after the other. The first syringe contained a quick and long acting anesthetic. The second was filled to the brim with steroid. He was able to go deeper into the foot with the steroid because the anesthetic had taken effect and I didn't feel anything after the initial pick. I have to say the experience was great if you can call getting injections in the bottom of your feet great. I had no problem walking on it and drove myself home. My foot slept about
18 hrs. I had no fear of getting the other foot injected the following
week.

john h on 8/23/01 at 18:40 (057734)

it would seem that a shot like ESWT must be accurately placed into a specific area of pain. on one of my visits to the doctor she said if i could not give her a specific area where i was hurting i would be waisting my time with a shot. some months later i could not only point to the spot but she could easily feel it with her fingers. my two injections were from the side because that was where it was most easily accesable to insert the needle. yes, somewhat painful but not all that bad and over in just a few seconds. as to the pain that would be no deterrent to me what so ever. press around and see if you can locate a spot that is very painful so when you go to the doctors office they do not just start injections with no plan as to where your pain is located.

Re: This helps

Carmen H on 8/24/01 at 07:22 (057782)

The doc used a spray on my hand and said 'Does this hurt?' I said 'NO' He ssaid 'Well that is about the MOST discomfort you will feel may be a tiny bit of burning but nothing else...I know how to give shots'
So today is the fateful day....I will see how it goes.
thanks for your advise everyone!

Julie on 8/24/01 at 09:16 (057795)

Good luck, Carmen. I hope you'll get some relief from the shots.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/24/01 at 11:26 (057816)

Wow ,

You are one tough lady. I have found that the bottom shots can help alot but they also can be very painful.

I use either a freeze spray or sometims a posterior nerve block to numb the bottom of the foot.

I first saw this method injection with my father. He use a panjet to number the spot . They he took the needle and loaded the thing with marcaine plus lidocaine plain. He went right into the spur right into it

Then he injected with a steriod. Well it did hurt but then it did help

Pauline on 8/25/01 at 15:38 (057951)

I think this doctor should give lessons. You don't have to be tough to take his injections. Smooth as silk. You feel only the first pick. No freeze spray or block needed. No bad memories. I like this one, two approach. Anesthetic delivered first, followed by steroid. Both in quanities to make a difference.

Pauline on 8/23/01 at 11:45 (057678)

Hi Carmen,

I believe one of the Doctors did answer your question on the Surgery board but maybe you have more specific questions. As far as I can tell, Marcaine is only the anaesthetic used probably in addition to a steroid to give relief. A steroid injected alone is very painful therefore every doctor I have had inject my feet also injected an anaesthetic too. You'd have to check back with your doctor to see exactly what was injected. I usually ask what and how much before any injection in the foot or elsewhere. I like to know what I am getting should there be any reactions.

In my case the best relief I receive from a steroid injection are always those put directly into the bottom of my feet. The last ones I had
provided relief the next day and really gave me a heads up on removing
inflammation in my feet. I didn't just get the shots and say this is it cured. I've treated my feet like they were still in pain and continued the conservative treatments listed on Scott's site. This bout is just about over so I feel very fortunate.

If you were only injected with Marcaine you might want to question your doctor why no steroid was used in addition to an anaesthetic. I'd have to say, but remember that I am no doctor, if only an anaesthetic was used
it could last from a few hours to 24 maybe depending on how much you were given.

My last injection put my feet to sleep from 4:00 P.M. to 10:00 A.M the next morning. One foot done at a time of course. My results were great, the injection was practically painless and no pain followed from the shot.
Inflammation went down and so did P.F. pain. It's been several months and I am still enjoying the relief. Both injections give directly into the bottom of my feet. Two syringes, one filled with anaesthetic the other filled to the top with steroid. I have to say this was the best delivery method I have ever experienced in the feet.

I certainly think the amount of steroid varies from doctor to doctor and my doctor seems to deliver a hefty amount.

Hopes this helps

Re: It does..thanks!

Carmen H on 8/23/01 at 14:40 (057692)

I did ask what it was before and a Dr. Z answered but I was wondering about people's personal experience with it to get an idea of what to expect. I haven't gotten them yet. Tomorrow if the first one.
I have to drive myself there and back so I certainly hope my feet don't go to sleep! I asked the doc if I wouold be able to drive and he said yes.
Also they are using Lidocaine and an anesthetic.
Thanks for your info! It helps for sure!

BrianG on 8/23/01 at 18:04 (057727)

Wow Pauline,

I've never heard of anyone getting 2 injections like you did, especially with those amounts! No wonder you had some relief. How long did the doc wait to give you the steriod, after he gave you the anesthetic? It must have been fairly quick acting, the anesthetic that is. I should bring your post back to my Pod, I'm sure it would raise his eyebrows :*)

BCG

PS Tammy, you should clue your Pod in about how to give a painless shot !!! No one should have to go through what you did.

Pauline on 8/23/01 at 18:28 (057732)

Brian,
He uses no topical either. To be honest I was very skeptial when I didn't
see the freezing stuff or dental jell brought into the room. No he just filled up the syringes and put them in one after the other. The first syringe contained a quick and long acting anesthetic. The second was filled to the brim with steroid. He was able to go deeper into the foot with the steroid because the anesthetic had taken effect and I didn't feel anything after the initial pick. I have to say the experience was great if you can call getting injections in the bottom of your feet great. I had no problem walking on it and drove myself home. My foot slept about
18 hrs. I had no fear of getting the other foot injected the following
week.

john h on 8/23/01 at 18:40 (057734)

it would seem that a shot like ESWT must be accurately placed into a specific area of pain. on one of my visits to the doctor she said if i could not give her a specific area where i was hurting i would be waisting my time with a shot. some months later i could not only point to the spot but she could easily feel it with her fingers. my two injections were from the side because that was where it was most easily accesable to insert the needle. yes, somewhat painful but not all that bad and over in just a few seconds. as to the pain that would be no deterrent to me what so ever. press around and see if you can locate a spot that is very painful so when you go to the doctors office they do not just start injections with no plan as to where your pain is located.

Carmen H on 8/24/01 at 07:22 (057782)

The doc used a spray on my hand and said 'Does this hurt?' I said 'NO' He ssaid 'Well that is about the MOST discomfort you will feel may be a tiny bit of burning but nothing else...I know how to give shots'
So today is the fateful day....I will see how it goes.
thanks for your advise everyone!

Julie on 8/24/01 at 09:16 (057795)

Good luck, Carmen. I hope you'll get some relief from the shots.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/24/01 at 11:26 (057816)

Wow ,

You are one tough lady. I have found that the bottom shots can help alot but they also can be very painful.

I use either a freeze spray or sometims a posterior nerve block to numb the bottom of the foot.

I first saw this method injection with my father. He use a panjet to number the spot . They he took the needle and loaded the thing with marcaine plus lidocaine plain. He went right into the spur right into it

Then he injected with a steriod. Well it did hurt but then it did help

Pauline on 8/25/01 at 15:38 (057951)

I think this doctor should give lessons. You don't have to be tough to take his injections. Smooth as silk. You feel only the first pick. No freeze spray or block needed. No bad memories. I like this one, two approach. Anesthetic delivered first, followed by steroid. Both in quanities to make a difference.