Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain in the big toe

Posted by Matt L. on 8/23/01 at 15:28 (057700)

For sometime I have had weight-bearing pain in both of my big toes. The pain can be replicated best by putting strong pressure with my finger underneath the big toe just to the medial side of the center pulp area, above the joint. I have full mobility and it is not a joint or nerve problem. The pain comes from deep inside. I suspect the problem is due to biomechanical problems with my gait- i.e. the pressure of push-off is not absorbed by the center pulp area but more off center. I recently mentioned quickly to a surgeon I'm seeing for TTS. He said it might be a cyst (ganglion?). I didn't have time to folow up. I don't feel anything that feels like a bump. What was he suggesting? Any other ideas as to cause and solutions (beyond adjustments to orthodics)?

Re: Pain in the big toe

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/23/01 at 19:53 (057751)

You are correct in that it sounds like a biomechnical problem. Is your doc well versed in foot biomechanics?
Ed

Matt L on 8/24/01 at 07:20 (057781)

Probably not his area of expertise. But could it cause a small internal cyst which is easily irritated?

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/24/01 at 19:55 (057877)

Could be, but I would be seriously looking at the biomechanics.Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/23/01 at 19:53 (057751)

You are correct in that it sounds like a biomechnical problem. Is your doc well versed in foot biomechanics?
Ed

Matt L on 8/24/01 at 07:20 (057781)

Probably not his area of expertise. But could it cause a small internal cyst which is easily irritated?

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/24/01 at 19:55 (057877)

Could be, but I would be seriously looking at the biomechanics.Ed