Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Nerve Sclerosis

Posted by Ann L on 8/23/01 at 16:01 (057704)

Has anyone had a therapy to 'kill' the posterior calcaneous nerve (a sensory nerve) using a nerve sclerosis technique? The pain and discomfort involve the heel and have not been alleviated by any other therapies or modalities over the past year.

Re: Nerve Sclerosis

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/23/01 at 20:09 (057755)

I am not sure what nerve you are referring to...possibly the medial calcaneal nerve. Entrapment or disease of the medial calcaneal nerve can cause heel pain. It is a purely sensory nerve so the consequences of 'deadening' it are fairly small.

Gary Dockery, DPM of Seattle has lectured extensively on the use of alcohol solutions to deaden nerves. I think it is worth a try if you and your doc are confident of the diagnosis.
Ed

Ann L on 8/24/01 at 09:46 (057804)

Thank you for your prompt reply to my query. I am very confident of my podiatrist's expertise and therefore trust his judgement. I am please to read that the consequences will be 'small'.

I will post again after the course of treatment has finished.

Ann L on 10/22/01 at 10:42 (063417)

Your reply to my query on Aug. 23rd was the ONLY one I received re. nerve sclerosing treatment for TTS.

My podiatrist, Dr. John Guiliana of Hackettstown, NJ, posted on the professional site and received no answers that anyone had yet tried this treatment for my condition.

After consultation with Dr. G and my husband (who is a chiropractor) we all three decided that I would try this experimentally -- we all felt that if it helped Morton's Neuromas that it would probably help in my case.

I began a series of 7 injections on Aug. 29th --weekly -- and after the 6th injection my pain level was, on a scale of 1-10 (10 being on crutches) -- about a 1.5-2 and after the 7th injection the pain was down to about 0.5-1!! He and I are both delighted with the results. Fortunately for me, my pain involved ONLY sensory not motor nerves. Perhaps Dr. Guiliana will write this up and others with similar pains will be helped.

I know this is only one anecdotal case -- but I am delighted with the results.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/23/01 at 20:09 (057755)

I am not sure what nerve you are referring to...possibly the medial calcaneal nerve. Entrapment or disease of the medial calcaneal nerve can cause heel pain. It is a purely sensory nerve so the consequences of 'deadening' it are fairly small.

Gary Dockery, DPM of Seattle has lectured extensively on the use of alcohol solutions to deaden nerves. I think it is worth a try if you and your doc are confident of the diagnosis.
Ed

Ann L on 8/24/01 at 09:46 (057804)

Thank you for your prompt reply to my query. I am very confident of my podiatrist's expertise and therefore trust his judgement. I am please to read that the consequences will be 'small'.

I will post again after the course of treatment has finished.

Ann L on 10/22/01 at 10:42 (063417)

Your reply to my query on Aug. 23rd was the ONLY one I received re. nerve sclerosing treatment for TTS.

My podiatrist, Dr. John Guiliana of Hackettstown, NJ, posted on the professional site and received no answers that anyone had yet tried this treatment for my condition.

After consultation with Dr. G and my husband (who is a chiropractor) we all three decided that I would try this experimentally -- we all felt that if it helped Morton's Neuromas that it would probably help in my case.

I began a series of 7 injections on Aug. 29th --weekly -- and after the 6th injection my pain level was, on a scale of 1-10 (10 being on crutches) -- about a 1.5-2 and after the 7th injection the pain was down to about 0.5-1!! He and I are both delighted with the results. Fortunately for me, my pain involved ONLY sensory not motor nerves. Perhaps Dr. Guiliana will write this up and others with similar pains will be helped.

I know this is only one anecdotal case -- but I am delighted with the results.