Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Court battles over my plantar fascitis

Posted by Mary K on 8/24/01 at 09:30 (057799)

Help! I am in need of reseach on plantar fascitis as a work related injury. I have been a Registered Nurse for over 23 years and
developed foot pain due to the physical demands of my work activity. I have a court hearing in early 2002 with my employer of 18 years and in need of reseach data on work related foot injuries.

Re: Court battles over my plantar fascitis

Richard, C.Ped on 8/24/01 at 09:55 (057808)

Without getting into any details that will cause trouble with the court case...what is going on? Is it a workmans comp case? What methods of treatment have you tried?
Richard, C.Ped

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/24/01 at 10:55 (057814)

Most tapings usually feel good either right away or in about a day -- often need to vary techniques. Many ways to tape for plantar fascia-- no way is right or wrong-- use technique that works best for each individual.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/24/01 at 12:42 (057823)

Somehow this post/response got transposed to the wrong question.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/24/01 at 12:47 (057824)

Is plantar fasciitis work related? This is a HOT TOPIC! About 75% of my plantar fasciitis patients were or have been involved in occupations in which they stand on their feet, often on concrete or asphalt, for extended periods of time.

The WA State Dept. of Labor and Industry (our comp. carrier) refuses to accept such claims. It is really a work related disease (ie. like carpal tunnel) as opposed to a work related injury (sprained ankle, broken foot).
There are questions about causality. Industry really does not want plantar fasciitis classified as a work related disease---like letting a big genie out.
Ed

Re: Tape (not court battles)

Julie on 8/24/01 at 16:07 (057854)

Thank you for pointing this out, Ed. I'm usually careful to say that my posts about taping are from my own ( of course limited) experience. I didn't this time, but will make a point of saying so in future. I didn't mean to imply that there is only one correct technique.

Mary K on 8/26/01 at 19:57 (058049)

Yes, it is a workmens comp case pending. I have tried tape, inserts, injections and EWST on Jan/2001. I have return to work and
due to the Nurses shortage in our community hospital have found myself re=injuried while required to move patients (400#) beds. I have limited flexion in my feet.

Mary K on 8/30/01 at 09:53 (058444)

Why is Plantar fisciitis not concerned a work related injury, because I spent the major of my waking hours on my feet ? I worked
40-60 hours a week and with only two days off a week thats like living @ your work. So how can our Labor Department have a
problem and should be classified as work-related due to repeated movement of work activity.
Mary K

Richard, C.Ped on 8/24/01 at 09:55 (057808)

Without getting into any details that will cause trouble with the court case...what is going on? Is it a workmans comp case? What methods of treatment have you tried?
Richard, C.Ped

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/24/01 at 10:55 (057814)

Most tapings usually feel good either right away or in about a day -- often need to vary techniques. Many ways to tape for plantar fascia-- no way is right or wrong-- use technique that works best for each individual.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/24/01 at 12:42 (057823)

Somehow this post/response got transposed to the wrong question.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/24/01 at 12:47 (057824)

Is plantar fasciitis work related? This is a HOT TOPIC! About 75% of my plantar fasciitis patients were or have been involved in occupations in which they stand on their feet, often on concrete or asphalt, for extended periods of time.

The WA State Dept. of Labor and Industry (our comp. carrier) refuses to accept such claims. It is really a work related disease (ie. like carpal tunnel) as opposed to a work related injury (sprained ankle, broken foot).
There are questions about causality. Industry really does not want plantar fasciitis classified as a work related disease---like letting a big genie out.
Ed

Re: Tape (not court battles)

Julie on 8/24/01 at 16:07 (057854)

Thank you for pointing this out, Ed. I'm usually careful to say that my posts about taping are from my own ( of course limited) experience. I didn't this time, but will make a point of saying so in future. I didn't mean to imply that there is only one correct technique.

Mary K on 8/26/01 at 19:57 (058049)

Yes, it is a workmens comp case pending. I have tried tape, inserts, injections and EWST on Jan/2001. I have return to work and
due to the Nurses shortage in our community hospital have found myself re=injuried while required to move patients (400#) beds. I have limited flexion in my feet.

Mary K on 8/30/01 at 09:53 (058444)

Why is Plantar fisciitis not concerned a work related injury, because I spent the major of my waking hours on my feet ? I worked
40-60 hours a week and with only two days off a week thats like living @ your work. So how can our Labor Department have a
problem and should be classified as work-related due to repeated movement of work activity.
Mary K