Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

The Good Feet Store

Posted by Pauline on 8/24/01 at 14:19 (057840)

I took a field trip today to 'The Good Feet Store' that just opened its doors 2 weeks ago. For those of you who are not familiar with The Good Feet Store, it is a rather new franchise to sell orthotics. On their web site they say it is not a franchise, no royalities to pay so I guess technically speaking it isn't a franchise, but close to it. These orthotic
stores are popping up all over, about 100 nation wide so far. As I found out at the store they apparently are the brain child of a Podiatrist in Southern California. Those that know about the stores, please correct me if I am wrong, but this is what I was told.

So exactly what are they doing and who are they treating and with what?

The two stores here in town are running blitz style ads in the paper and on the radio telling people that their main orthotic, The Barefoot,
will make your feet conform to the ideal foot shape. It will support the four (4) arches in your foot. Your entire skeletal system will become more correctly realigned there by imporve stability and balance. You'll improve your posture and gain from 1/2 to 2 inches in height.

I asked the salesman what training he had and he eagerly responded that he had been trained in Southern California for a two week period on how to fit and sell the orthotics and how to run the store. I asked him if he had ever made custom orthotics or if he was a trained certified Pedorthist
and he replied no and asked me what was a Pedorthist.

The fitting for my correct orthotic was with white paper and a stamp pad. I was quickly showed all the pressure points on my feet that the orthotics would immediately correct. Then the orthotics came out. There was about 6 different ones made of flexible and hard plastic. Supposedly they came in sizes, however, from what I saw in the back room my guess is that the sizes they speak about are very limited. Their entire stock area was tiny.

They really push the balance part of their sales pitch showing people if they stand on the orthotic they can not be pushed off balance. At best, a wonderful sales trick. I listened as they told an 80 something year old woman that her balance problems would greatly improve if she purchased the orthotics for $219.95. The woman could not stand without assistance. Their orthotics range in price from $59.95 to the top $219.95.

I have to say in their favor they do not mess with anyone who is diabetic,
Arthritic, Under doctors Care, suffered broken bones, has any recent
surgeries, or any skin disorders. There is a big sign if you have any of these things don't stay.

My advice, BUY BE WHERE. I've often said 'Sore Feet = Big Money' and in this case I stand by this. These salesman haven't got a clue about feet.
They simply repeat the garble they were told to learn at their sales meeting in Southern California. I have no doubt that these franchises will make money for their owners because the public is so gullible. Who out there wouldn't rather cut out the doctors visit and get the cure for sore feet directly from the mall?

Anyone expecting to get professional medical advice at this store should know the facts up front and be aware of what they are buying. My opinion is this store is an upscale Dr. Scholls counter with a twist. They have a new story to tell in order to market over the counter orthotics.

This store get 2 stars if your looking for an investment, and 0 stars if your looking for a cure.

Re: The Good Feet Store

Pauline on 8/24/01 at 15:51 (057852)

Sorry guys thats 'Buyer Beware' Head still in a spin after the visit.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/24/01 at 19:41 (057875)

Go to the forum: http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/goto?forumid=22044 for a discussion of these products. I am familiar with the sales tactics.
Ed

Pauline on 8/25/01 at 08:55 (057905)

My field trip to the Good Feet Store was strictly to find out the characters involved, what they were selling, and what was their game.
I never had any intention of purchasing the orthotics they offered.

I found out what every other prospective shopper should. At best it's a money making deal for the owners. This is some Southern Calf. Pods way to mass market orthotics to gullible people. People with hurting feet. The market areas (his franchises) which they don't want to call franchises because royalities are not directly paid are quickly being purchased by other Pods, Chiropractors, and others to cure the world of foot pain.

This is just another get rich scheme at the expense of hurting people.

BG CPed on 8/25/01 at 12:45 (057929)

I think the infomercial is also a HUGH joke. They should get Suzanne Summers to pitch along with the AB ROLLER. I understand that the goodfeet folks bought the molds from Alzner, that was the $215 flea market state fair dog poney show device.

If it is not a francise then they should have no problem if somebody opened up a store and called it THE OK $25 INSERT STORE and sold their devices. I do prefab devices also, but none over $35. It is a decent insert but there is too much nonsense involved AND overpriced. I also wonder about the garauntee. cant return for maney back only more merchandise and you have to sign paperwork?

In New Jersey ski shops cant make orthotics due to a employee a few years ago that was playing Dr about orthotics to a customer that was a DPM. the DPM pushed his lawmaker and they created some restrictions.

I would predict that if they keep up with the untrained carnival act and borderline aspects they will get either nailed in court by customer or they will anger medical professional community to push for some type of regulation.

I have no prob with competition and free market I do have a proiblem with over charging and giving bogus info to people in pain

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/25/01 at 13:21 (057930)

I am not familiar with any other podiatrists who are selling the Alznner devices or who have bought a 'franchise.' A few chiropractors are selling them out of their office for over $200 a pair---for pre-fab supports.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/25/01 at 13:24 (057931)

I agree with you 100% BG. It is a tough situation from the standpoint of regulation though. If we attempt any restrictions via the legislative process we are immediatley accused of restraint of trade, attempting to restrict competition. Eventually, consumer driven complaints are going to have to stop this type of activity.
Ed

Re: Dr Davis see above post

BG CPED on 8/25/01 at 14:02 (057946)

was thinking same thing

Pauline on 8/24/01 at 15:51 (057852)

Sorry guys thats 'Buyer Beware' Head still in a spin after the visit.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/24/01 at 19:41 (057875)

Go to the forum: http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/goto?forumid=22044 for a discussion of these products. I am familiar with the sales tactics.
Ed

Pauline on 8/25/01 at 08:55 (057905)

My field trip to the Good Feet Store was strictly to find out the characters involved, what they were selling, and what was their game.
I never had any intention of purchasing the orthotics they offered.

I found out what every other prospective shopper should. At best it's a money making deal for the owners. This is some Southern Calf. Pods way to mass market orthotics to gullible people. People with hurting feet. The market areas (his franchises) which they don't want to call franchises because royalities are not directly paid are quickly being purchased by other Pods, Chiropractors, and others to cure the world of foot pain.

This is just another get rich scheme at the expense of hurting people.

BG CPed on 8/25/01 at 12:45 (057929)

I think the infomercial is also a HUGH joke. They should get Suzanne Summers to pitch along with the AB ROLLER. I understand that the goodfeet folks bought the molds from Alzner, that was the $215 flea market state fair dog poney show device.

If it is not a francise then they should have no problem if somebody opened up a store and called it THE OK $25 INSERT STORE and sold their devices. I do prefab devices also, but none over $35. It is a decent insert but there is too much nonsense involved AND overpriced. I also wonder about the garauntee. cant return for maney back only more merchandise and you have to sign paperwork?

In New Jersey ski shops cant make orthotics due to a employee a few years ago that was playing Dr about orthotics to a customer that was a DPM. the DPM pushed his lawmaker and they created some restrictions.

I would predict that if they keep up with the untrained carnival act and borderline aspects they will get either nailed in court by customer or they will anger medical professional community to push for some type of regulation.

I have no prob with competition and free market I do have a proiblem with over charging and giving bogus info to people in pain

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/25/01 at 13:21 (057930)

I am not familiar with any other podiatrists who are selling the Alznner devices or who have bought a 'franchise.' A few chiropractors are selling them out of their office for over $200 a pair---for pre-fab supports.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/25/01 at 13:24 (057931)

I agree with you 100% BG. It is a tough situation from the standpoint of regulation though. If we attempt any restrictions via the legislative process we are immediatley accused of restraint of trade, attempting to restrict competition. Eventually, consumer driven complaints are going to have to stop this type of activity.
Ed

Re: Dr Davis see above post

BG CPED on 8/25/01 at 14:02 (057946)

was thinking same thing